Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Enquirer Shout Out to Dougdirt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Enquirer Shout Out to Dougdirt

I am assuming this is from Fay. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...+play++not+pay

The World Series may look like a small-market nightmare. After all, you've got the $201 million New York Yankees playing the $113 million Philadelphia Phillies.

You had two pitchers the Cleveland Indians couldn't afford - CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee - starting Game 1.

But the other side of it is the Phillies are where they are because of homegrown talent. The team is built around Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard - all drafted and developed by the Phillies. Last year's series MVP, Cole Hamels, is another drafted-and-developed player.

The Indians had that great run in the 1990s because they drafted and developed well and then signed players to long-term deals when they were young. They didn't do that with Lee and Sabathia.

For the Reds to turn it around, they're going to have to draft and develop players.

That's not to say the system doesn't need some fixing. All four teams in the league championship series had payrolls topping $100 million.

The Reds have people looking at the collective bargaining agreement to find ways to make things more equitable for small-market teams.

I've always maintained that if they can win, they'll be in a good position to sustain it because they'll draw well. The Reds never will be in the same financial district as the Yankees. But if they draw 2.7 million instead of 1.7 million, their payroll could creep into the $100 million range.

TOP 10 LIST: Doug Gray at redsminorleagues.com came out with his top 40 prospects. Here's his top 10, with my comments on each:

1. First baseman Yonder Alonso. The Reds' top pick last year. He's struggling in the Arizona Fall League.

2. Todd Frazier. I didn't list a position because the where-does-he-play question remains. He's playing second base in winter ball.

3. Right-hander Mike Leake. Gray saw Leake throw in the AFL and was impressed.

4. Outfielder Yorman Rodriguez. The $2 million, 16-year-old outfield from Venezuela held his own with Billings.

5. Third baseman Juan Francisco. The only one in the top 10 who's played in big leagues.
    (2 of 2)

6. Outfielder Chris Heisey. You'll see him in Cincinnati some time next season.

7. Right-hander Brad Boxberger. He's also pitching in the AFL.

8. Left-hander Travis Wood. He was a combined 13-5 this year in Triple-A and Double-A.

9. Shortstop Zack Cozart. He's hitting .350 in the AFL and has a very slick glove.

10. Shortstop Billy Hamilton. Baseball America rated him as the second-fastest runner in the last year's draft.

ROSTER MADNESS: The Reds need to set their roster by Nov. 20 - i.e., get the players they want to protect from the Rule 5 draft.

Wood, Heisey and Chris Valaika will be put on the roster, but space is tight and the Reds will have to leave some prospects unprotected.

OUT IN LEFT FIELD: Left field is the most crowded position on the Reds' roster. Francisco is playing left field in winter ball, and Frazier can play there as well. There's also Chris Dickerson and Wladimir Balentien, as well as Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix if the Reds offer them arbitration.

My guess is they'll make an offer to Gomes but not Nix. But money is so tight, Gomes might be non-tendered.

ON TO LYNCHBURG: The Reds' high Single-A team will play at Lynchburg, Va., in the Carolina League next year. The Sarasota club is being sold to the Pirates, who will move it to Bradenton.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

High five!

Re: Enquirer Shout Out to Dougdirt

Just remember us when you're rolling around in your Bentley, Doug!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Just remember us when you're rolling around in your Bentley, Doug!
    Ha. Even if I could afford a Bentley, I wouldn't buy one. I am too cheap, even if I have money.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ha. Even if I could afford a Bentley, I wouldn't buy one. I am too cheap, even if I have money.
    Ah Doug, with greatness comes responsibilities, now you have to start teaching us lowly peons so we can all travel in the same circle.

Ok, alright, just keep on teaching Fay so that something might filter back in his writing's that might enlighten Reds management, something like, it helps to have men that can get on base.

Props Dough. I actually agree with all of his picks, I would just pick a different order.

Which is...

Yonder Alonso
    Todd Frazier
    Mike Leake
    Travis Wood
    Chris Heisey
    Yorman Rodriguez
    Zack Cozart
    Juan Francisco
    Brad Boxberger
    Billy Hamilton

Doug is the man

Doug!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I think this is where Doug comes in and modestly says "Don't worry guys, I'm still the same old Doug, my opinion isn't worth anymore than the rest of you nobody's".

Then we say "We know".

Haha, just kidding Doug. Nice to seee you get some much deserved pub.

Turn Off Ads?