Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deleting Posts

Re: Deleting Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    But how can you have a general discussion about a policy without using specific examples?
    The same way a discussion can be had about QuesTek without citing Mike Everitt's call on the fifth pitch of Damon's 9th inning at-bat during last night's game....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    When I think of closed threads I think of questionable premature closings too but also mods that are more likely to do it than other mods. Which, I think, is kinda interesting (at least to me). That thread had been up for awhile and I know that at least one or two mods/admin warned people but yet it remained open until paintmered came back from vacation and he closed it. I doubt the mods/admin had stopped paying attention to the thread.
    Holy crap. You mean mods are actually different people with different opinions, ideas and thresholds? Woozies. Here all this time I thought they were part of the borg with one monolithic opinion on everything.

We need a blue ribbon commission to look into this. My feelings are hurt.

If a mod makes a decision to close a thread, whether justified or not, is your life really impacted in some significant way? Really?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-02-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Holy crap. You mean mods are actually different people with different opinions, ideas and thresholds? Woozies. Here all this time I thought they were part of the borg with one monolithic opinion on everything.

We need a blue ribbon commission to look into this. My feelings are hurt.

If a mod makes a decision to close a thread, whether justified or not, is your life really impacted in some significant way? Really?
    I think you're reading too much into that. No one's life is impacted in significant ways.

However, why are people here? First, to discuss Cincinnati. That's clear. Second, to discuss baseball. That's also evident. But third... people are here because they want to engage in discussion.

I know a lot of people enjoy having one place to discuss things. It's easier. It's more convenient. It's more entertaining.

I think people appreciate being treated with respect. We're basically all adults or young adults here. I think the administrators here have put together a great site. And I'm all for not having profanity, slurs, name-calling and other material that is immature or rude. But if you have a conversation going that is absent of those things, why not err on the side of adults having adult conversation? There are a lot of opinions in this world. Some are going to come across as objectionable, but still meet the criteria for what is, by board rule, allowed. I don't think the moderators need to tackle those particular posts/threads because it's not necessary to moderate opinions. It can be objectionable but not be against the rules (I thought that thread was a perfect example).

If people start feeling like they're being treated like kids, they'll just go elsewhere. I'm not expecting Redszone to change their standards to accommodate people. In fact, I actually think the stated goals of this forum are probably as good as you'll find. But there's got to be some leeway to express opinions, even if some people might find them to be reprehensible, provided it's within board rules. Otherwise, I'm sure it isn't going to ruin anyone's life, but it could very much zap the fun out of the experience.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    And I don't think any posts should be deleted, and as long as threads don't have blatant name-calling, is there really reason to close them if the discussion is interesting?
    Speaking for only myself as a mod, "interesting discussion" isn't the only reason to keep a thread gonig.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Otherwise, I'm sure it isn't going to ruin anyone's life, but it could very much zap the fun out of the experience.
    What zaps the fun out of the experience for me would be people moaning and complaining that they "aren't being heard".

It's an internet sports forum. If a thread gets closed, guess what....there's a couple hundred other ones you could go participate in. Move on to one of those.

The first amendment simply doesn't apply at RZ.

If people start feeling like they're being treated like kids, they'll just go elsewhere..
    You know, if they are acting like kids that's probably not a bad thing.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

But if you have a conversation going that is absent of those things, why not err on the side of adults having adult conversation?
    The issue, however, usually isn't with adults having adult conversation, it's with adults having fraternity-house conversation.

Adults can have an adult conversation about the proper response to joke with slightly racist overtones told on the air of a national sports broadcast. That thread was a fairly interesting read.

Adults, apparently, can't have an adult conversation about a man cheating on his wife. It devolves into comments about how "hot" the woman involved is, and uses such wonderfully adult phrase as "nail attractive women" and "the best strange he could pull." That thread was a disaster.

If you want a board where the latter of the two is fair game, RedsZone isn't the place for you. The tone can be adult without being frat. I think people confuse the two far too often.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The issue, however, usually isn't with adults having adult conversation, it's with adults having fraternity-house conversation.

Adults can have an adult conversation about the proper response to joke with slightly racist overtones told on the air of a national sports broadcast. That thread was a fairly interesting read.

Adults, apparently, can't have an adult conversation about a man cheating on his wife. It devolves into comments about how "hot" the woman involved is, and uses such wonderfully adult phrase as "nail attractive women" and "the best strange he could pull." That thread was a disaster.

If you want a board where the latter of the two is fair game, RedsZone isn't the place for you. The tone can be adult without being frat. I think people confuse the two far too often.
    Well trust me, I'm not saying I find that kind of talk stimulating. As I said, some of it I find to be immature. But that said, we don't live in a vacuum. Whether we like it or not, we live in a society that many people talk and think this way. All I'm saying is that I don't see the need to bother moderating that kind of talk. The people that don't like it can tune it out and take note of the people that do it. The people that do, well, they may be showing their true colors, but so what? It says more about personal conduct than it does the quality of a forum.

I don't think letting that kind of thing slide in any way degrades the board, nor do I think those opinions are indicative of all posters or the standards Redszone wishes to maintain. Those people don't speak for me, nor do they speak for Boss or GIK as a representation of this forum.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Obviously this wasn't my issue that was raised, I'm merely understanding where some people are coming from. I'm just a less is more kind of guy. Whether it's government, society, etiquette, etc., I just personally prefer to let people express themselves and their personalities how they see fit (within reason, and within a set of guidelines). I realize we all have differences of opinions on what is reasonable and what is fit to be seen for people of all ages and backgrounds. The locker room talk you mentioned - I've never cared for it, I don't understand it and don't really feel comfortable involved in it. I can tolerate it, though.

Thanks for listening on this. It's just my two cents.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

nm
    Last edited by pedro; 11-02-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

All I'm saying is that I don't see the need to bother moderating that kind of talk.
    Perhaps Boss and GIK, the folks who actually own and run RZ, do?

It is their website after all and certainly within reason if they want to position it as a particular "quality" of website.

billy corgan

the world is a vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by billy corgan View Post
    the world is a vampire.
    Despite all your pain you're still just a rat in a cage too eh?

billy corgan

just think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

If those comments turned the thread into a disaster then the thread should have been closed right then and not 50 posts later. It seems to me the locker room talk took place early on and was much worse than what was posted on the final page(s).

BTW, what's with all these newbies chiming in???

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Perhaps Boss and GIK, the folks who actually own and run RZ, do?

It is their website after all and certainly within reason if they want to position it as a particular "quality" of website.
    I get the impression you take issue with people chiming in their opinions. It's, after all, a "site feedback" forum. I, like everyone else (and you), are just expressing opinions. I don't think any zero tolerance approach is necessary in this thread.

I get the impression you take issue with people chiming in their opinions. It's, after all, a "site feedback" forum. I, like everyone else (and you), are just expressing opinions. I don't think any zero tolerance approach is necessary in this thread.
    How do you get from site owners wanting to maintain a certain quality of discussion to "I take issue with people chiming in with their opinions". That's a heck of a leap.

If that's the impression you get then your impression is clearly inaccurate.

Why people can't fathom that site owners want to present their website in a specific manner, and maintain a certain level of discourse is beyond me. That you think a particular topic or language is acceptable has no bearing on what the site owners feel is acceptable.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-02-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?