Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Deleting Posts

Re: Deleting Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf
    What would everyone think about the idea of having the ability to ban users from specific forums as opposed to the entire site?
    We have that ability, though we don't often use it. Maybe we should use it more, as you suggest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I feel like my posting history is similar. However, rather than being banned from a specific forum, wouldn't you prefer the discussion just be moved over to the Peanut Gallery?
    You make it sound like the Peanut Gallery is a free for all. In reality the Peanut Gallery is much more censored than RZ, but that's another issue altogether

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree with what you are saying; making multiple accounts is wrong, especially if you don't first identify yourself. I understand that The Baumer deserved what he received once he made his second account.

What I was questioning is how it was possible I raised 10 times the stink compared to the original poster when:

A) He was banned so it was impossible for him to raise a stink
    B) Obviously he tried to raise a stink because he made multiple new accounts in an attempt to communicate his message
    C) Insinuating he understood he knew his actions were not permissible considering he has made multiple new accounts in attempt to communicate said message
    The issue was between him and I - never once did he send me an email seeking any type of clarification as to why he was banned (though he should know since it had previously been made clear to him the previous time he posted similar material). He attempted to evade the one week ban for this on numerous different times. It was not impossible for him to raise concern about it, as you state - but he chose not to do it via email (the proper way) but instead, he insisted upon trying to evade his initial ban(s) and that led to a significantly longer suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You make it sound like the Peanut Gallery is a free for all. In reality the Peanut Gallery is much more censored than RZ, but that's another issue altogether
    If a 'censor free' board is what you want, why you are posting here? RZ never has been, and never will be, without rules and policies, so if that's the kind of site you're looking for, and from previous posts you've made, I get that impression, you need to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I completely respect if the site would not want to do this, but I've always wondered by not let the off-topic forums be "enter at your own risk."

I realize that because of the family-friendly nature the admins want to carry on, it might be a detriment to that concept. However, I've always figured by doing it that way you let people speak their minds on the controversial things, without the moderators needing to worry about it, but keep the same parameters for the sports forums. It's just an idea, and one that I understand might not work, but it's been something I've thought about.
    As you mentioned, that type of forum is not consistent with the site's ideals and values.

My issue is that mods dont understand the rules of the site and when you quote it to them they act like the rules dont matter for certain people. In other words the mods are like corrupt cops.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    In other words the mods are like corrupt cops.
    Then why stay?

Reds.com has a message board, feel free to go there.

My issue is that mods dont understand the rules of the site and when you quote it to them they act like the rules dont matter for certain people. In other words the mods are like corrupt cops.
    I have never seen any instance of that type of moderation. Can you cite any specific examples?

(I realize I have a relatively low amount of posts but if you look, I joined quite a while ago so I'm a long-time reader. Just haven't posted a ton.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    If a 'censor free' board is what you want, why you are posting here? RZ never has been, and never will be, without rules and policies, so if that's the kind of site you're looking for, and from previous posts you've made, I get that impression, you need to look elsewhere.
    If that's the impression you've gotten then it's incorrect. I know what the rules are here and I post accordingly. This thread is about censorship so my comment referred to the subject at hand.

If you've been following my writings then you also saw where I said my issues with Mods are dealt with through PMs and I even use that rarely. You've made it clear that PMs are the proper way to handle this stuff so it puzzles me what it is that I said that troubles you so.

Not touching that bait...I wouldn't suggest anyone else do it, either, because that's all it is.

That's a textbook example of the kind of post that leaps off of the page when ORG members discuss posting history during the voting process.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

A completely unmoderated message board, no matter what the topic, would be a disaster.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    A completely unmoderated message board, no matter what the topic, would be a disaster.
    Boss has already said this is not a possibility, and I respect that, so I'm not going to advocate for it. But in response to this, I will say that's surprisingly not always the case.

A friend of mine is a sports administration professor and once did a bunch of social studies on people on internet sports message boards. One of the studies he did had to do with exactly this. A poll of the boards' he did found that of the communities that had higher posting standards on the main portion of the community, but lax standards on political/religion/off-topic forums were considered by their members to be of much higher quality than those that had few, if any rules for the rest of their boards. I certainly didn't get to see the science or data he used for the experiments, but he said that he believed there was more self-policing filtered among the board members that were used to higher etiquette on other boards within that same community.

Anyhow, I respect that this isn't an option, but in regard to your comment, I don't believe it's always as bad an idea as it seems. In that scenario, I'd leave it "enter at your own risk" but still allow users to self-report posts they believe are over the line, which does allow for some light moderation when necessary. It's a moot point, as Boss has made it clear that doesn't fall in line with what they want. Fair enough. Just threw it out there for sake of discussion.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Boss has already said this is not a possibility, and I respect that, so I'm not going to advocate for it. But in response to this, I will say that's surprisingly not always the case.

A friend of mine is a sports administration professor and once did a bunch of social studies on people on internet sports message boards. One of the studies he did had to do with exactly this. A poll of the boards' he did found that of the communities that had higher posting standards on the main portion of the community, but lax standards on political/religion/off-topic forums were considered by their members to be of much higher quality than those that had few, if any rules for the rest of their boards. I certainly didn't get to see the science or data he used for the experiments, but he said that he believed there was more self-policing filtered among the board members that were used to higher etiquette on other boards within that same community.

Anyhow, I respect that this isn't an option, but in regard to your comment, I don't believe it's always as bad an idea as it seems. In that scenario, I'd leave it "enter at your own risk" but still allow users to self-report posts they believe are over the line, which does allow for some light moderation when necessary. It's a moot point, as Boss has made it clear that doesn't fall in line with what they want. Fair enough. Just threw it out there for sake of discussion.
    BuckeyePlanet is a great example of this...

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I have never seen any instance of that type of moderation. Can you cite any specific examples?

(I realize I have a relatively low amount of posts but if you look, I joined quite a while ago so I'm a long-time reader. Just haven't posted a ton.)
    you clearly have never been given a warning and then exchanged pms with certain mods.

Turn Off Ads?