Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds cut ties with some Minor Leaguers

Reds cut ties with some Minor Leaguers

According to the Dayton Daily News the Reds have released 1B Humberto Sosa, OF Tyler Stovall, P Shea Snowden, OF Keltavious Jones, 1B Jason Louwsma and SS/3B/1B Justin Tordi

The DDN focused on the former Dayton Dragons but the Reds more than likely released more players than the ones mentioned.

In other news, The Reds are also getting P Terrell Young back from the Nationals

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds cut ties with some Minor Leaguers

It'll be good to get Young back. He could compete for a spot on the big league team with a couple good months in AAA or AA. Sosa was disappointing this season, especially considering his Instructional League.

Can't say there's any shocking names there.

I'm gonna miss the name Keltavious Jones.

Sounds like a secret agent type name from the 70's

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Can't say there's any shocking names there.
    Shea Snowden is very surprising to me.

Senor Votto

I had my fingers crossed that one would be McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Shea Snowden is very surprising to me.
    Same here

He never really got a chance to do anything in full season ball

Yeah, Snowden surprised me a little just because he's so young. The only other surprise for me was Kel Jones because the Reds have such a lack of outfield depth.

Keltavious has been battling a serious illness for over a year that they have struggled to diagnose. Great person. As nice a kid as you could find. Hopefully the most recent surgery will be the last one.

Snowden has been a favorite of some here. He did not have much. Well below average fastball, everything else below average. He had nothing that you saw and made you think he could get much better. He also had some off-field issues. Not a good combination.

Young is a wildcard. Reds spent the $25,000 to get him back. Personally, I don't see it. Interestingly, because most of the power arms are now in the majors, you might see him listed by Baseball America as the Reds Pitcher with the Best Fastball (other candidates are Valiquette and Ondrusek). Although the truth is, clearly, the pitcher who throws the hardest is Junior Martinez, but hard to list a guy who is so far from being a legit prospect.

Other releases not listed were Peter Cech, Bryan Gardner, Chris Kelly, and Sergio Guerrero.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Young is a wildcard. Reds spent the $25,000 to get him back. Personally, I don't see it. Interestingly, because most of the power arms are now in the majors, you might see him listed by Baseball America as the Reds Pitcher with the Best Fastball (other candidates are Valiquette and Ondrusek). Although the truth is, clearly, the pitcher who throws the hardest is Junior Martinez, but hard to list a guy who is so far from being a legit prospect.
    72 (or anybody): Who among the starting pitchers might be considered the hardest thrower (or best fastball, whichever way you choose to couch it)? I'm guessing Boxberger, with maybe Klinker/Serrano/Sulbaran in the mix? Does that sound about right?

Whatever happened with Valiquette in AFL? Did he get axed so that Boxberger could pitch?

Sulbaran is not a hard thrower. He is 88-89 most nights and on a good night, will top out at 91. Serrano is consistently 89-91 and his slider makes the fastball look a little quicker. Klinker throws harder than when he first signed. I think he is topping out at 94 now (he probably visits this site so maybe he can chime in). He is probably 90-91 consistently although I have not seen him pitch in a year so that might not be still correct.

Ravin throws a little harder than those guys (91-93). Partch throws harder than any of those guys at times, but his velocity on his fastball is very inconsistent. Janke would be in that 90-91 range.

Of all those guys, I probably like Serrano or Klinker the best as a prospect. Sulbaran for me doesn't even merit any consideration until he shows that he is serious about being a professional.

I still like Horst but he is not a hard thrower and is in the mold of our other lefties such as a Maloney or Wood (or Fairel). Horst is in the 88-90 range with a change-up that is his best pitch.
    Last edited by redsof72; 11-02-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Other releases not listed were Peter Cech, Bryan Gardner, Chris Kelly, and Sergio Guerrero.
    From a business standpoint, these are all additions by subtraction imho. I wish these guys luck, but none of them were cut for baseball careers.

Sulbaran is not a hard thrower. He is 88-89 most nights and on a good night, will top out at 91. Serrano is consistently 89-91 and his slider makes the fastball look a little quicker. Klinker throws harder than when he first signed. I think he is topping out at 94 now (he probably visits this site so maybe he can chime in). He is probably 90-91 consistently although I have not seen him pitch in a year so that might not be still correct.

Ravin throws a little harder than those guys (91-93). Partch throws harder than any of those guys at times, but his velocity on his fastball is very inconsistent. Janke would be in that 90-91 range.

Of all those guys, I probably like Serrano or Klinker the best as a prospect. Sulbaran for me doesn't even merit any consideration until he shows that he is serious about being a professional.

I still like Horst but he is not a hard thrower and is in the mold of our other lefties such as a Maloney or Wood (or Fairel). Horst is in the 88-90 range with a change-up that is his best pitch.
    Informative, as always. Thanks.

Interesting comment on Sulbaran. You obviously know some things that most of us don't. And I'm glad you still like Horst. I was tooting his horn a year ago, but he had a somewhat disappointing season.

Didn't realize Partch threw that hard. He had some excellent stretches this year and appears to be on the rise.

Turn Off Ads?