Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds cut ties with some Minor Leaguers

Re: Reds cut ties with some Minor Leaguers

Of everyone on that list Smit is the most intriguing. He looked pretty good in the WBC but, I believe, was hurt a lot this season.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

This whole question of Rolen's influence is intriguing. Perhaps it's intangible, but one thing I noticed during the times they were warming up between innings, Rolen always set up somewhere between 3rd base and the pitchers mound, leaning closer to the mound. I can't say he was talking to the pitcher or anything, but he was just there, taking his fielding. I don't know what effect it had, but it just stuck out to me. Probably nothing, but it made me wonder about that proverbial veteran's presence. Or it could just be a bunch of baloney on my part - I know it's nothing I can point to definitely.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Hearing about an interesting announcement coming out of Dayton tomorrow. Can't say what, but it surprised me. Not as big as the Futures Game or anything like that, but still, interesting.
    Quite interesting and yes surprising. I'm sure you are speaking of KG Sr. right?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Correct. To me, it is rather shocking. He has been a major league hitting coach. He must just enjoy being part of the game. Should help Benzinger in 2010. I like this. He is not just a name-guy. He knows how to coach. Not many organizations have a person with this kind of credibility coaching in their farm system, more less in Single-A.

But if I am going to give credit to the Reds, I should also balance that a bit. Did you read the article? Don't you think it might have been appropriate for someone from the Reds to at least email Benzinger about this before a newspaper writer told him that Griffey would be his hitting coach? What the heck is going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    But if I am going to give credit to the Reds, I should also balance that a bit. Did you read the article? Don't you think it might have been appropriate for someone from the Reds to at least email Benzinger about this before a newspaper writer told him that Griffey would be his hitting coach? What the heck is going on there?
    I guess it all depends on how the paper found out perhaps it wasn't the Reds intention for it to play out that way. If it was I would have to ask if it's commonplace in the minors for something like that to occur.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?