Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ochocinco to try breaking news

Ochocinco to try breaking news

Ochocinco to try breaking news
    Updated: October 24, 2009, 8:39 PM ET
    Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Chad Ochocinco is used to making news. Now, he's trying to break some.

The Cincinnati Bengals receiver is planning to form his own social news network on Twitter, using his player contacts around the league to develop news about other teams. The idea grew out of his partnership with Motorola, which will provide the technology.

He's dubbed the venture OCNN, for the Ochocinco News Network. He will try to compete with mainstream media to tell fans what's going on with NFL teams.

He's even got a slogan.

"If I break it, you might as well believe it," Ochocinco told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

Ochocinco already spends a lot of time on social networking -- he has nearly 300,000 followers on Twitter and does frequent Ustream episodes. This latest venture will be intriguing, given the way NFL coaches try to prevent news from leaking out.

The receiver plans to operate like a reporter, getting tips from players on other teams. He also might get other NFL players involved in his reports.

"I am that source now," he said. "I'll be the leak for all 32 teams."

Ochocinco has already had one occasion to break news about another player. When first-round draft pick Andre Smith was close to ending his holdout during training camp, Ochocinco tweeted that he had signed. Smith's agent then tweeted that the report was premature. When Smith was in the locker room the next day after reaching a deal, Ochocinco took a photo and posted proof.

That got the receiver thinking about doing more news-based tweets.

"I'm sort of still feeling this out," he said. "It's based on what I already do. I'll bring in news the way I always do, and I'll actually be adding to it."

Ochocinco used the example of a network reporter who relays what they hear from sources with various teams.

"I'm knocking out the middle man," he said.

With a chuckle, he added, "Are you nervous?"

The receiver began promoting it on his Twitter feed following a practice on Saturday to get ready for a game against the Chicago Bears.

Motorola is using the venture to promote its MOTOBLUR technology. Ochocinco will use one of the company's Cliq mobile devices for his new social network. Motorola marketing officer Bill Ogle said Ochocinco "brings order and clarity to a multifaceted lifestyle as a professional athlete, entertainer and devoted social networker."

It's been a busy week for Ochocinco's social networking ventures. A week ago, his new iPhone app was introduced. The app was developed by a company that includes Bengals quarterback Jordan Palmer and features various ways to get news on the receiver.

Between football and networking, the receiver doesn't have much extra time.

"This is how I stay out of trouble," he said. "I don't go to clubs, I don't drink, I don't party."

The venture will have to stay within the NFL's restrictions on social networking by players and coaches. In August, the league sent out guidelines, allowing them to use Twitter, Facebook and other social media up to 90 minutes before kickoff, and again after games when traditional interview sessions are finished.

Some NFL teams have taken a hard line on tweeting. The Dolphins imposed restrictions on players, reporters and fans during training camp. Other teams have restrictions on tweeting from practice fields. The Chargers fined cornerback Antonio Cromartie $2,500 for criticizing the food selections at training camp on his Twitter feed.

NFL head coaches routinely tell players not to talk about their injuries to the media because it could put them at a competitive disadvantage.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4590771

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ochocinco to try breaking news

I'm still laughing from reading that it's called 'OCNN'.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm still laughing from reading that it's called 'OCNN'.
    It stands for when Palmer would always say to him during the game, when he wanted to pull one of his antics.... "OH Chad, Not Now" :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Say what you want about Chad, but dude's very smart and business saavy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

IMO he announced this after the NFL's offices had closed for a week because he knew that it will take them about 2 seconds to decide to shut the operation down when the braintrust shows up on Monday morning. The league's Twitter policy makes it clear that they want to control the flow of information. OCNN will be dead in the water before lunchtime on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The guy is one of the GOAT IMO. Way too many people take him too seriously.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

He should have called it CPN (Child, Please Network) because it fits the gossipy nature of the venture. I have a feeling this won't go exactly as Mr. O envisions it...I'm just guessing his player friends on other teams won't enjoy him Tweeting about their private conversations. Well, like he says, at least it keeps him out of the kind of trouble Chris Henry and Odell Thurman were into. Chad is a unique individual...mostly I think his ideas are ridiculous, peppered with occasional briilliance, but as long as he recognizes that it all depends on his on field performance, it's all good. Without his 'star performance' on the field, the rest of the Ochocinco show becomes a joke.

I'm actually kind of warming to the name change...there are a LOT of Johnson's in the NFL, but just one Ochocinco.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You kiddin'?, I thought he was a little on the slow side, half retarded even.

No, he's actually pretty bright. He knows how to market himself, and that book will probably net him more this year than most of us will make in the next 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I give the guy credit for spending his time doing marketing rather than putting himself into bad situations, but the brand he's selling is himself. It comes across as though he's yelling, "LOOK AT ME!!!"

Sure, he's thinking like a businessman, but what he's selling is simply his opinion of himself. That can be a product people lose interest in pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I give the guy credit for spending his time doing marketing rather than putting himself into bad situations, but the brand he's selling is himself. It comes across as though he's yelling, "LOOK AT ME!!!"

Sure, he's thinking like a businessman, but what he's selling is simply his opinion of himself. That can be a product people lose interest in pretty quick.
    How is that different from a financial advisor who markets his talent? Or a CPA? Or an attorney? I think any one with a special skill set is in the position of marketing themselves as the best option among many for what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    How is that different from a financial advisor who markets his talent? Or a CPA? Or an attorney? I think any one with a special skill set is in the position of marketing themselves as the best option among many for what they do.
    A financial adviser, a CPA, or an attorney sell their talents, true, but they are telling people what their talents can do for customers. Twittering doesn't make Ochocinco a better player and having his own iPhone app isn't going to make him more appealing to another NFL team.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I believe marketing yourself is a bad thing; I believe quite the opposite. I just can't help but think that, pretty soon, people will say "OK...I get it. You're a football player with flair. <yawn>"

Turn Off Ads?