Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Want to See Cut?

Who Do You Want to See Cut?

It's that time of year when teams are deciding which players to keep around and let go. Who would you like to see the Reds release so they can give more opportunity to other players in the organization? Here's my list:

UT Ryan Doran
    IF Kevyn Feiner
    C Korey Feiner
    RP Jerry Gil
    RP Junior Martinez
    IF Luis Bolivar
    OF Stephen Chapman
    OF Lew Ford
    3B Bill Stramp
    UT Wes Bankston
    SS Shane Carlson
    SP Luis Montano
    RP Zach Ward
    RP Federico Baez
    RP Greg Atencio
    RP Mark James
    RP Samuel Vasquez
    RP Waldy Sierra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Do You Want to See Cut?

Wilken Castillo - maybe give him one more quick look. Maybe not.

Michael Griffin - good glove man but that's it. I like him but business is business.

Eric Eymann - he's had his chance and hasn't made anything of it.

Tom Cochran
    Rafael Gonzalez (not Rodriguez)
    Ben Davis
    Jeff Kenard
    Lee Tabor
    Derrick Lutz
    Last edited by mth123; 11-02-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I agree that Wilkin Castillo needs to be dropped from the 40-man roster, but if he can be outrighted to AAA, I think it would be a good move.
    Having both Eric Eymann and Mike Griffin is kind of redundant, but I wouldn't mind keeping the better one, whoever that is.
    I'm surprised that Lee Tabor was mentioned. He doesn't blow anyone away, but he does pretty well against left-handed hitters.
    Jeff Kennard might have had a fluke year, but I'm not sure I'd write him off just yet.
    Ben Davis' career is probably ending anyway, but I don't think it'd hurt to keep him around on a A+ or AA team.
    I'm not too optimistic about Tom Cochran, but I'd like to see a little more of him before letting him go.

Who is Rafael Rodriguez? Did you mean Ramon Rodriguez, the pitcher from Panama?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree that Wilkin Castillo needs to be dropped from the 40-man roster, but if he can be outrighted to AAA, I think it would be a good move.
    Having both Eric Eymann and Mike Griffin is kind of redundant, but I wouldn't mind keeping the better one, whoever that is.
    I'm surprised that Lee Tabor was mentioned. He doesn't blow anyone away, but he does pretty well against left-handed hitters.
    Jeff Kennard might have had a fluke year, but I'm not sure I'd write him off just yet.
    Ben Davis' career is probably ending anyway, but I don't think it'd hurt to keep him around on a A+ or AA team.
    I'm not too optimistic about Tom Cochran, but I'd like to see a little more of him before letting him go.

Who is Rafael Rodriguez? Did you mean Ramon Rodriguez, the pitcher from Panama?
    No, I meant Rafael Gonzalez and had a brain cramp.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Tom Cochran
    Ben Davis
    Jeff Kenard
    Lee Tabor
    Derrick Lutz
    Why?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If it was a fluke, it was fluke half-year. The first part of the season, all he had was a good fastball. We know what happens to pitchers that only have a fastball. But his other pitches started working mid-season. And although I have nothing to base it on, it wouldn't surprise me if Lehr had something to do with his turnaround. But, Power does a very good job himself.

I was ready to write Tabor off last season but he seemed to find his stride. And I almost mentioned Tom Cochran.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why?
    Lutz was bad in 2008 and injured for most of 09. I guess he could try to come back he's still onky 25, but I'm not optimistic and the Reds have a logjam in the high minors. I'd prefer to sign a reclamation starter or two for AAA and move guys like Lecure, Ramirez and Smit into the pen where they may have a chance. I just don't see room for Lutz.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-02-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Shane Carlson?... a 2009 draftee with only 151 AB's.... mighty quick trigger on that one.

Bill Stramp?...another 2009 draftee with only 50 AB's due to injury, struggled in those 50 AB's, but it's 50 AB's nonetheless. I'd give the kid a little more time

Kevin Barker at 34 years old...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Tom Cochran
    Ben Davis
    Jeff Kenard
    Lee Tabor
    Derrick Lutz
    Tabor had a little run last year in Carolina when they put him in the rotation and he was lights-out. Then he was promoted to Louisville and acquitted himself pretty well in relief. All told, he had a 3.60 ERA with a 1.31 WHIP. I don't see that as a season that gets you released. Especially a lefty.

is Darnell McDonald still on a roster?

Lutz was bad in 2008 and injured for most of 09. I guess he could try to come back he's still onky 25, but I'm not optimistic and the Reds have a logjam in the high minors. I'd prefer to sign a reclamation starter or two for AAA and move guys like Lecure, Ramirez and Smit into the pen where they may have a chance. I just don't see room for Lutz.
    He will be 25 in april so I get that but he's been in the program only 4 seasons (and as you say was hurt most of this season) and has had good numbers. Has had those good numbers mostly due to his strength which is a high GB% arm. Why toss that away when you don't have too? It's not as if like alot of these other mentioned guys he lacks Major League level talent.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Depending on the health of some guys, its going to be pretty crowded in the high minors.

In AAA the rotation will probably include Wood, Jukich, Lecure, Klinker and a reclamation project/vet for insurance. The pen looks to include one of Fisher or Ramirez, with Viola, Ondrusek, Del Rosario, Thompson, Watson and Bray. At AA, the rotation might include Horst, Buck, Smith, Smit and Avery or Carroll. The pen probably has Valiquette, Krebs, Thurman, Geronimo, Medina, Carroll or one of the other starters, maybe Pawelek. Guys like Castro, Infante, Joseph, Leake, Boxberger and Fairel will all hit those levels at some point. Terrell Young probably fits in somewhere. Below AA the team needs room for some younger guys like Serrano, Pearl, Sulbarren, Tuttle, Lotzkar, etc.

I just like all those guys better than Tabor and Lutz, but they could be kept around until spring for sure. Some of these are bound to come up lame and others could be dealt off or promoted to backfill for some one else who is dealt which might leave room for a guy like Tabor. Some may be lost in the minor league portion of rule 5. I'd just like to see the Reds bring a starter or two in for AAA as insurance for the big league team and as a lottery ticket for finding a guy (I'm talking about major leaguers who will probably be available on the cheap and need a restart like Noah Lowry, Boof Bonser, etc). That may push guys like Smit, Avery and Lecure to the pen. Lutz and Tabor just don't fit in the numbers game IMO if all those guys are back and pitching.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-03-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Turn Off Ads?