Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brad Boxberger

14 12.61%
  • Zack Cozart

47 42.34%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.80%
  • Juan Duran

2 1.80%
  • Matt Fairel

1 0.90%
  • Josh Fellhauer

1 0.90%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.80%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

19 17.12%
  • Devin Mesoraco

3 2.70%
  • Logan Ondrusek

2 1.80%
  • Mark Serrano

0 0%
  • Juan Silva

1 0.90%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

10 9.01%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

3 2.70%
  • Chris Valaika

4 3.60%
  • other - name him

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    No doubt, Cozart's advantage is power. He also made major advances this year in plate discipline, according to his number of walks. But Rojas stands a fair chance of being a better for-average hitter (he makes great contact), and I suspect that it's way early to judge his power potential. I'm just not convinced that Cozart's chances of being a serviceable big-league hitter outstrip Rojas's by a significant amount. At this point--as I implied in the original post--I'm still leaning toward Cozart. I just think that Rojas is in the photo.
    Rojas has a better contact rate, but Cozart will out HR him by 10+ HR. That makes up a solid difference between the two's strikeout rates/BABIP fluctuation as far as the average goes. Add in that Cozart is going to walk even more the small difference they have in average won't matter because Cozart is going to be getting on base more and certainly slugging a lot more.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 11-03-2009 at 06:04 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I went with Cozart. I think it's really hard to understate the value of his improved plate approach last year. A plus defending SS with .350+ OBP potential and a bit of pop is a very valuable commodity. He's still pretty young, so if he can replicate last year's AA success in Louisville, he's likely our starting SS by the end of the year or starting in 2011.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Soto = Ed Encarnacion

Matt Klinker and Matt Maloney are mirror images of each other as well. Where one has stuff, the other has a longer track record. (Too, we tend to discount those older prospects who can help but won't be anything more than adequate.)

Any of the three would be a fine choice.

I went for Cozart not because he's the best on the board but his value to the Reds is highest.

I voted for Silva. He was the most pleasant surprise in the 2009 draft class. I like speed/power potential in CF. YR will no doubt repeat Billings. I think that gives Silva a shot at Dayton at age 19.

Cozart. The most likely minor league position player to actually hold down an every day role in the major leagues IMO (except Alonso). Cozart was part of the second tier behind Alonso and Leake and he's the last one of that group (with Frazier, Francisco, Heisey and Yorman) on the board. After this, it gets real muddy IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Cozart, though I'm tempted by Boxberger. Don't see it as quite so muddy yet. Boxberger, then Maloney, after that pretty muddy.

Maloney. Everyone else on the list has to take a signficant step forward to be as good as Matt is right now. Some of them will, of course, but you can't predict which ones are actually going to take that step.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Maloney. Everyone else on the list has to take a signficant step forward to be as good as Matt is right now. Some of them will, of course, but you can't predict which ones are actually going to take that step.
    I think I disagree with this. Matt Klinker didn't spend as long at AAA, but he is at AAA and had success there this season. He also has better stuff. He doesn't have to make a significant step forward to be as good as Maloney.

Turn Off Ads?