Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Ambush at Fort Hood

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    I have a buddy at Fort Hood. Luckily, he is fine.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,543

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Not opposed to the death penalty; but when I see "unique" situations like this, where the murderer seems to be on a suicide mission where he wants to be killed, and when he thinks he's going to receive some sort of reward in the after-life as a martyr, then I say "don't give him the satisfaction, and do the opposite." Postpone his "reward", and lock him up in a tiny cell, and let him live out the rest of his days in isolation to live with his actions.

    Interesting thoughts, GAC. I've had similar thoughts about this and other crimes. Although our sense of justice may be quelled by execution, if that's what the criminal wants, execution would seem counterproductive.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #18
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Not opposed to the death penalty; but when I see "unique" situations like this, where the murderer seems to be on a suicide mission where he wants to be killed, and when he thinks he's going to receive some sort of reward in the after-life as a martyr, then I say "don't give him the satisfaction, and do the opposite." Postpone his "reward", and lock him up in a tiny cell, and let him live out the rest of his days in isolation to live with his actions.
    Is receiving the death penalty years after the crime akin to dying during the mission?

    I say equal punishment, regardless of what the defendant wants.

    And how would you enforce such a thing? Proving intent is amongst the hardest things to do in a court of law.

  5. #19
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,120

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I consider this terrorism, terrorism of the worst kind, from within. I find it slightly disturbing that the Army was unable to see the warning signs or just didn't react in the proper manner. I heard a report on NPR how Hasan gave a speech at Walter Reed about Muslims fighting Muslims over in the middle east. Warning bells should have gone off but they didn't. I guess it didn't matter that in WWI and WWII men in opposite fox holes were praying to the same God. Hopefully something positive comes from this tragedy.
    The only person to blame is the guy who did this. That's it.

  6. #20
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,782

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Just watching CNN unfortunately and they referred to Hasan multiple times as the alleged shooter. Did I miss something where this is in doubt or are they just flat out insane?

  7. #21
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Did I miss something where this is in doubt or are they just flat out insane?
    Neither. Everyone knows he acted alone now. But they'll keep saying "alleged" until he's convicted. I wouldn't read anything into the use of the word. Charges haven't even been filed yet. Doesn't really change the facts though.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Just watching CNN unfortunately and they referred to Hasan multiple times as the alleged shooter. Did I miss something where this is in doubt or are they just flat out insane?
    Probably because its america and they would be sued for slander or something if Hasan some how got off.

  9. #23
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,477

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Probably because its america and they would be sued for slander or something if Hasan some how got off.
    Bingo.

  10. #24
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,686

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Proving intent is amongst the hardest things to do in a court of law.
    Maybe so; but it doesn't seem like it would be hard in this particular case. As each days passes, more and more evidence is coming out, and being discovered on this guy. IMHO, this could have been prevented.

    And the more I see, and I think the majority of Americans feel the same, as far as what limited evidence has been publicly disclosed, I become more and more outraged that our government, our military, those in charge, ignored those "red flags" on this guy.

    And how much MORE do they now know, that confirms those suspicions, and are they refusing to publicly acknowledge out of some obligation to prevent a public backlash, and because of some sense of political correctness?

    That's all I will say, because it would then cross forum guidelines, and should be conducted over on the Peanut Gallery.

    But I think his intent, as to why he committed this massacre, can be easily established. And who knows? Now that he is recovering, and able to speak, he may hang himself with his own words.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  11. #25
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,912

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Maybe so; but it doesn't seem like it would be hard in this particular case. As each days passes, more and more evidence is coming out, and being discovered on this guy. IMHO, this could have been prevented.

    And the more I see, and I think the majority of Americans feel the same, as far as what limited evidence has been publicly disclosed, I become more and more outraged that our government, our military, those in charge, ignored those "red flags" on this guy.

    And how much MORE do they now know, that confirms those suspicions, and are they refusing to publicly acknowledge out of some obligation to prevent a public backlash, and because of some sense of political correctness?

    That's all I will say, because it would then cross forum guidelines, and should be conducted over on the Peanut Gallery.

    But I think his intent, as to why he committed this massacre, can be easily established. And who knows? Now that he is recovering, and able to speak, he may hang himself with his own words.
    Greg, I agree with you, but I too don't want to violate forum guidelines. I am ticked off that the "red flags" about this guy were apparently ignored.
    Where I disagree with you is regarding punishment: if and when this guy is convicted, execute him.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  12. #26
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,569

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Where I disagree with you is regarding punishment: if and when this guy is convicted, execute him.
    And do it on television broadcast to the world
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  13. #27
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Maybe so; but it doesn't seem like it would be hard in this particular case. As each days passes, more and more evidence is coming out, and being discovered on this guy. IMHO, this could have been prevented.

    And the more I see, and I think the majority of Americans feel the same, as far as what limited evidence has been publicly disclosed, I become more and more outraged that our government, our military, those in charge, ignored those "red flags" on this guy.

    And how much MORE do they now know, that confirms those suspicions, and are they refusing to publicly acknowledge out of some obligation to prevent a public backlash, and because of some sense of political correctness?

    That's all I will say, because it would then cross forum guidelines, and should be conducted over on the Peanut Gallery.

    But I think his intent, as to why he committed this massacre, can be easily established. And who knows? Now that he is recovering, and able to speak, he may hang himself with his own words.
    Well said. I couldn't say it any better without crossing over the line.

  14. #28
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,686

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Where I disagree with you is regarding punishment: if and when this guy is convicted, execute him.
    Oh, I'm not going to lose any sleep if he is executed. But in this day and age, can you execute a man if he shown to be emotionally disturbed, deranged? And right now, that seems to be the defense offered for his actions... he was just crazy.

    That previous "scenario" I posted was more of the vindictive "human" side of me speaking, wanting this guy to be kept alive to suffer.

    Like a good western movie cliche.... "Oh he'll receive a fair trial. Then we'll hang him."
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  15. #29
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,912

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Oh, I'm not going to lose any sleep if he is executed. But in this day and age, can you execute a man if he shown to be emotionally disturbed, deranged? And right now, that seems to be the defense offered for his actions... he was just crazy.
    Perhaps he was "just crazy" or perhaps he was "just evil."
    It is an interesting issue, and probably one we can't discuss here. If the terrorists on the 9/11 flights could somehow be resurrected to stand trial no doubt many, perhaps all, of them would offer an insanity plea.
    Maybe I am just mean and vindictive, but I still vote for execution. Hitler was crazy, but he was also evil.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Ambush at Fort Hood

    Crazy people that kill someone doesnt make them any less of a killer. The crazy thing wont fly if they dig up enough dirt id imagine.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25