Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SI Article: NFL Players Select League's Dirtiest Player

Re: SI Article: NFL Players Select League's Dirtiest Player

Until a few years ago, I would not have really known what to think about a poll like this. However, I was fortunate enough to hear some off-the-record stories from a former high-profile NFL player that made my stomach turn. I never realized how vicious it was in the NFL.

These stories - the biting, clawing, kneeing, kicking, groin shots, etc., that the cameras don't show and the refs don't often catch are the reason a guy like Hines Ward might get such a reputation. If you're bad enough that over 30 of your peers out of about 300 name you the dirtiest player in the league - trust me, you're delivering some R-rated content out there on the field on a weekly basis that the common fan is not hearing about.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

If I were on the Bengals, I would be more than happy to pay my share of the fine and the suspension to anybody who would hit Ward the same way he hit Rivers. To me, it should be just like baseball. You have to protect your teammates. It is amazing that Ward is still walking after 11 years in the league...it really is. I think his luck might just run out this Sunday... What would I give for that ESPN highlight on Sunday night!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I agree with you (below) Dom. And I'm definitely not a Hines Ward fan. IMO he is not in the same class of those former greats I referred to previously -those guys who went out onto the field and gave it as good as they took it. And yeah, they have paid for it physically now. They left everything they had on that field.

A guy like Hines Ward, and there are some others, wouldn't survive in the game of yesteryear IMO. Ward is the kind of guy who would love to catch you when you're not looking, run up and take a cheap shot, because he is too much of a chicken**** to do it to your face. And if the same was done to him (which I'd love to see), he'd be the first whining to the league.

You can only hope that players of his "caliber" will get there's on that field some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Believe it or not, GAC, I agree with you as well- there is nothing like a good hard hitting football game. Your post was awesome, truthfully.

I think where I differ from others is that I don't like hard hits for the sake of hard hits.

I have a friend whom I argue with constantly over Hines Ward's hit on Keith Rivers last season.

It comes down to this for me: I know the hit was "legal." But that doesn't mean you take that hit on somebody just becuase you can.

People like Hines Ward, for me, show what they are about when they do that.

The fact the NFL changed the rule, named it after him, shows that while the hit may have been legal, it wasn't the type of play they wanted to continue seeing.

All I know is if Hines Ward played against a team I owned, I'd sign the worst football player on earth and have him end that dude on the cheapest hit ever seen in the NFL and they'd both be out of the league for life. I can't believe the Ravens haven't found a way to pay him back.

Football is a violent sport, yes- but when you use that fact to go around and cheap shot people you're an idiot.

Anyhoo, GAC, thanks for the video and reminding me of being a kid.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

How can Ward be a dirty player? He's always smiling and just loves playing football!

Just ask every dimwitted broadcaster who's ever done a Steelers game.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I think it's hysterical that Rodney Harrison still got votes in this poll, maybe he's been taking too many cheap shots at Chris Collinsworth and Tony Dungy on "Football Night in America".
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    How can Ward be a dirty player? He's always smiling and just loves playing football!

I love this post.

I've never understood the constant smiling from Ward. Incomplete pass that sails ten feet over his head on third down, he trots off the field grinning like a Cheshire cat. It just doesn't make sense.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I've never understood the constant smiling from Ward. Incomplete pass that sails ten feet over his head on third down, he trots off the field grinning like a Cheshire cat. It just doesn't make sense.
    It's almost like it's a nervous tic or something. Or he's just pure evil.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

It's almost like it's a nervous tic or something. Or he's just pure evil.
    I vote the latter.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Prozac.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Chick mentions the same three incidents that I referred to earlier in this thread...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2...steelers-fans/

Back off, Steelers fans
    Posted by cludwig November 13th, 2009, 2:57 pm Read Comments(241) Recommend(6)

THE STEELERS PLAY HARD, BUT DO THEY PLAY CLEAN?

Pardon the interruption prior to kickoff in the biggest game of the 2009 National Football League’s regular season, but I sure wish the NFL would take a long, strong look at how the Pittsburgh Steelers conduct business on the field.

They’re not a tough team to track. They leave bruised, battered and broken bodies strewn across gridirons wherever they go.

“Typing Away With Chick Ludwig” has been inundated with E-mails proclaiming the purity and sanctity of Saint Hines Ward and his teammates, about how they play “good, clean, hard football.”

Don’t tell me that Keith Gary trying to rip off Ken Anderson’s head, Kimo von Oelhoffen’s smashing into Carson Palmer’s left knee and Ward’s vicious block that fractured Keith Rivers’ jaw constitute the best the game has to offer.

Two of those plays caused rule changes. So my fervent hope is that the NFL is watching and paying attention, and will continue to do so.

My message to Steelers fans is this: Don’t kill the messenger. Ward was deemed the league’s dirtiest player in a Sports Illustrated poll, and I just happen to strongly agree with it.

LET’S TAKE A WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE …

KEITH GARY …

“Longtime Bengals observers still remember the night of Oct. 10, 1983, when Steelers defensive end Keith Gary yanked quarterback Ken Anderson,s head like a twist-off, soda-pop bottle.”

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Gary_...912050343.aspx

KIMO VON OELHOFFEN …

From Wikipedia:

“The so-called “Kimo Clause” now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimo_von_Oelhoffen

HINES WARD …

His vicious block on Rivers triggered the “Hines Ward Rule,” which outlaws high, blind-side hits.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4498184

BACK-BACK-BACK…

From Steelers.com

April 1977: Chuck Noll was summoned to Oakland for depositions in the defamation suit filed by George Atkinson over the famous “criminal element” remarks Noll made the day after the 1976 NFL season opener.

July 11, 1977: As a witness during the trial, Noll was forced to include Joe Greene, Mel Blount and Glen Edwards as players who also were part of the criminal element because of their own dirty play.

July 16, 1977: Blount reacted to this by threatening to quit the Steelers, and he also said he planned to sue Noll for $5 million.

http://news.steelers.com/article/78767

BOTTOM LINE

The six-time Super Bowl champions are a franchise to be respected, but not admired.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?