Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds not picking up Hernandez's option

Reds not picking up Hernandez's option

CINCINNATI -- The Reds want catcher Ramon Hernandez to return for 2010, but not for the $8.5 million figure his club option calls for.

"We're not going to pick up the option," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Friday. "We have been talking with his agent and trying to negotiate a new deal. We're hoping he comes back."

The buyout for the Hernandez option is $1 million. Acquired last winter from the Orioles in a trade for utility player Ryan Freel and two prospects, Hernandez batted .258 with five home runs and 37 RBIs in 81 games. Only July 21, Hernandez had arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee and he missed 57 games. He also made 21 starts in place of Joey Votto at first base.

Should he not return to Cincinnati at a reduced price and hit the open market, Hernandez is rated a Type B free agent by Elias. If he is offered arbitration, it would mean the Reds would receive a first-round sandwich pick in the 2010 Draft as compensation.

Without Hernandez, the Reds would likely have Ryan Hanigan as the primary catcher. While Hanigan is better defensively than Hernandez, they would probably want someone that can bring more offense.

In other roster moves, the Reds sent backup catcher Corky Miller and reserve outfielder Darnell McDonald outright to Triple-A Louisville. In 21 games for the Reds, Miller hit .179, but was a strong presence behind the plate. Reds pitchers were 13-5 with a 3.02 ERA when he caught.

McDonald batted .267 in 47 games over two big league stints in 2009, but hit .323 (21-for-65) after his second callup on Aug. 25. Both Miller and McDonald could return to the team under Minor League deals. If the Reds didn't retain Hernandez or land another catcher, Miller would have a strong shot at the backup catcher's job next season. The light-hitting Craig Tatum is the only other catcher on the Reds' 40-man roster.

"The hope is we can get them re-signed for next year," Jocketty said of Miller and McDonald. "We needed space on the roster because we have so many guys to protect."

The Reds' 40-man roster currently stands at 37 players with three more on the 60-day disabled list.

The Reds are still looking around for a regular shortstop but can cross J.J. Hardy off their list. Hardy, who was dealt from the Brewers to the Twins for center fielder Carlos Gomez, was on the Cincinnati radar.

"We talked to [the Brewers] several times," Jocketty said. "We didn't match up and they didn't want to trade within our division, which was understandable."

Jocketty also said the Reds have talked to the agents for arbitration-eligible outfielders Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix. Teams have a Dec. 12 deadline to tender contracts but with the Reds trying to hold the line on payroll, it's not a lock either player will be offered arbitration.

"We've talked a little bit," Jocketty said of negotiations with Gomes and Nix.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Reds not picking up Hernandez's option

I have to say, I agree with the decision. That's too much money for a guy who won't hit 20 HR and play 140 games.

Now if he'll come back at around half that, you'd have to take a flier on him or even make a multi-year deal I'd think.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm inclined to agree with JayBruce32. While 8.5 Mil. is too much for him, I think he definitely could be good for the club. While his stats are not the greatest, he was an at least decent RH bat with some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I have to say, I agree with the decision. That's too much money for a guy who won't hit 20 HR and play 140 games.

Now if he'll come back at around half that, you'd have to take a flier on him or even make a multi-year deal I'd think.
    agree

RedsFan5077

Really? You would really want to pay 4 million to a guy who is producing at replacement level? I'd let him walk if he wouldn't sign for $1 million or less.

RedsFan5077, I know others will agree with me, that he brings a ton of intangibles and would be one of the leaders on the team. As a Catcher, the way he produces w/ RISP, his toughness, and experience and leadership, he'd be well worth the money that they were willing to pay Taveras.

I like Kingspoint's post. I agree with what he said about Hernandez's intangibles, even if his stats aren't that great. (Hanigan can handle the stats [at least defensively], offensively I'd like to see his RBI go up.)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd pay him $2.5M for 2 years. That would be my best offer. He's coming off injury, and I think he'll get lowballed by every club out there anyway.

I'd offer 1.5 to 2 million. We have to keep in mind that we are already paying him 1 million because we did not pick up his option.

Quote Originally Posted by fourrunhomer View Post
    I'd offer 1.5 to 2 million. We have to keep in mind that we are already paying him 1 million because we did not pick up his option.
    Good point. $3 to $3.5 paid over 2 years?

Still not sure why we went after him in the first place. Didn't we give up a pretty good prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Still not sure why we went after him in the first place. Didn't we give up a pretty good prospect?
    http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=bal

Brandon Waring

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=519397

Waring played most of last season in class A advanced. Made it to double A for 8 games. Hit 27 HR's and 90 rbis. K'd over 130 times.

Justin Turner

On the Hot Stove League tonight with Thom Brennaman, Walt Jocketty said he's had good conversations with Hernandez's agent, Eric Goldschmitt, and that Ramon would like to stay in Cincinnati. Jocketty outright said he expected a deal to get completed in the next 2 weeks. I was surprised he was so positive about it.

just saw that tigers are shopping edwin jackson..
    how about the reds acquire curtis granderson,carlos guillen,and edwin jackson
    tigers acquire jay bruce, aaron harang, willy taveras, mike lincoln, and jared burton

reds sign dye to 1 year deal wit an option

trade cordero to rays for andy sonnaistine, reid brignac, and 2 more minor leaguers

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    just saw that tigers are shopping edwin jackson..
    how about the reds acquire curtis granderson,carlos guillen,and edwin jackson
    tigers acquire jay bruce, aaron harang, willy taveras, mike lincoln, and jared burton

reds sign dye to 1 year deal wit an option

trade cordero to rays for andy sonnaistine, reid brignac, and 2 more minor leaguers
    It's a nice thought, but the trades aren't reasonable imo. For example, the Rays would trade neither Sonnanstine nor Brignac straight up for Cordero, let alone both and two prospects.

Turn Off Ads?