Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey signs for one more year

Griffey signs for one more year

Ken Griffey Jr. has agreed to a one-year contract with the Seattle Mariners.

The terms of the deal are similar to the incentive-based deal Griffey received in 2009. The 2009 contract was worth a base salary of $2 million with $1.1 million in incentives.

"I'd like to thank the Mariners organization for inviting me back to play in 2010," Griffey said in a statement. "While 2009 was an awesome experience for me, my ultimate goal is for the Mariners to get to and win the World Series. To that end, I look forward to contributing in any role that Don sees fit on the field, and any manner I possibly can off the field."

Griffey hit .214 last season with 19 homers as a part-time DH. He was limited by a swollen left knee that required a second operation in as many offseasons last month.

"He's open to anything," Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said Wednesday. "What he said was, 'I'd like to be a part of this. Hey, I'm the part of a 25-man club. Let the pieces fall where they may ... let the manager make the decisions.' It's a real bonus to have him back."

After spending his first 11 seasons with Seattle, he played nine more with Cincinnati and the Chicago White Sox. Griffey returned to the Mariners this year under rookie manager Don Wakamatsu and almost single-handedly transformed what had been a fractured, bickering clubhouse with his leadership, energy and constant pranks.

"He went beyond anything that I would have expected," Zduriencik said.

Griffey turned formerly reclusive star Ichiro Suzuki into a smiling, joking teammate. He had neck ties made for road trips bearing Wakamatsu's likeness. He also had the Mariners wearing ties bearing his own likeness and the words "World's Greatest Teammate" for one midseason flight out of Seattle.

"His influence, the presence he has - there are players on this ball club who are very excited to know they are going to be teammates again with Ken Griffey Jr.," Zduriencik said.

The Mariners even carried Griffey off the field on their shoulders immediately following October's season finale.

Seattle is convinced Griffey is healthy enough to contribute again next year — though he won't undergo a physical to formally close his new deal for a couple of more weeks, to give time for the knee to recover from surgery.

"We believe that Ken's presence with the Seattle Mariners organization was such a positive asset last season with his leadership on and off the field," Zduriencik said. "His passion for baseball, life and the Seattle Mariners goes unsaid. We are happy to have Ken back for the 2010 season."

Griffey — who will turn 40 on Nov. 21 — is fifth all-time with 630 career home runs and has made 13 All-Star teams. He was the American League MVP in 1997 with the Mariners.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey signs for one more year

This is great news. I'm glad to see Junior keep playing.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd like to see him get into better playing shape and finish with a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    This is great news. I'm glad to see Junior keep playing.

A lot of people say he should retire because he isn't what he used to be. But after seeing and hearing about all the fun he and his teammates seemed to be having last season, I am glad to see him come back and just enjoy the game. Who really cares that he isn't what he once was. He is 40 and human.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'm kind of glad too. I wasn't ready to bid him goodbye just yet.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Think Willy Mays as a Met.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Think Willy Mays as a Met.

With the addition of the DH in the American League, let's hope any "Willie Mays" moments are kept to a minimum.

Awesome, love to see Griff back for a year, even if it is less then Griff of past. Hope he has a great time and a good, healthy year.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    A lot of people say he should retire because he isn't what he used to be. But after seeing and hearing about all the fun he and his teammates seemed to be having last season, I am glad to see him come back and just enjoy the game. Who really cares that he isn't what he once was. He is 40 and human.
    Who cares if your teams sucks as long as your having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Who cares if your teams sucks as long as your having fun.
    Seattle went from 40 games under .500 in 2008 to 12 games above .500 in 2009

If they suck at 12 games over .500 what does that mean for the Reds who were 14 games under .500 last season

Turn Off Ads?