Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals Decline Kearns' Option

Nationals Decline Kearns' Option

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/1...in-kearns.html

The Nationals declined their $10MM option on right fielder Austin Kearns, according to the AP. They'll instead pay a $1MM buyout. Kearns signed his three-year, $17.5MM deal in January of '07, and gave the Nats one solid year for their money. He represents the last of the day's multiple obvious option decisions.

Kearns, 29, hit .195/.336/.305 in 211 plate appearances this year. He missed a chunk of the season due to thumb surgery. Based on UZR, he still plays a strong right field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nationals Decline Kearns' Option

Got a Love/Hate relationship with this dude.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I still can't help thinking he's got a great year or two in there somewhere. He'll be lucky to get any playing time at this point.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Patrick Bateman leaves DC.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I still can't help thinking he's got a great year or two in there somewhere. He'll be lucky to get any playing time at this point.
    Perhaps, but it will take four or five years to get that great year of stats.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Long swing.

Co me along way since the days of outrage many had when reds traded him and a lot of people on this board went nuts over it.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

No. Nothing to see here, move along.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

I wasn't sorry when Kearns was traded, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds give the guy an invitation to spring training. Maybe being back near his parents and with a smaller home park, he can be inspired to get in shape and salvage his career. I doubt he gets many serious offers and might be willing to sign a minor league contract.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

In a perfect world he signs a small nominal contract with the Reds, comes to ST with a completely different body, swing and steals the LF job hitting over .300 with 60 ebh. He tutors Bruce on how to handle expectations, failure and provides the perfect RH player the team has been looking for.

In a not so perfect world he becomes Bernie Carbo, Jeff Hammonds, and numerous other guys eaten by the game sooner than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I wasn't sorry when Kearns was traded, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds give the guy an invitation to spring training. Maybe being back near his parents and with a smaller home park, he can be inspired to get in shape and salvage his career. I doubt he gets many serious offers and might be willing to sign a minor league contract.
    I wish we could test that thought and see if it worked out with and for him. The Reds have taken chances on others with minor league contracts to see if they could work it out in AAA. Nothing expensive though.

I see Nippon Ham Fighters in his future.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Or at least some more Ham.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not that country boy.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I hope Austin sends JimBo a very nice Xmas gift every year for the rest of his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?