Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full contact soccer

Full contact soccer

"Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Full contact soccer

Hopefully Al Davis will sign her for the Raiders. They need a wake up call to their former glory.

Playing defense in soccer is best done dirty.
    I used to pull guys' pants down and keep my knee pressed up against their outer thigh in order to deliver an instant charlie horse, and when I played forward guys would constantly punch me in the kidneys when marking on my back. A certain amount of that stuff occurs off the ball all the time and it's really part of the game. For the most part it's meant to be more of a distraction and to send a message that you are there and that you are ready to knock someone around to win a ball, but what that NM player was doing is clearly over the line.
    Why there was no red card is a mystery.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The most blatant one, the pulling of hair down to the ground probably wasn't seen by the refs. My guess is the yellow card at the end was the way of saying "we've seen what you've done all day, now knock it off." It would have been better delivered had it come early.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The most blatant one, the pulling of hair down to the ground probably wasn't seen by the refs. My guess is the yellow card at the end was the way of saying "we've seen what you've done all day, now knock it off." It would have been better delivered had it come early.
    If they had really seen what she had been up to I've gotta think they would've given her a red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    There is no doubt some of that stuff would have resulted in immediate reds no ifs ands or buts. Violent Foul Conduct, Serious Foul Play, Tackle from Behind Take your pick they all are straight Reds. I cannot believe she didnt get a red at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Everywhere there will be dirty players who get away with fouls until it becomes blatant. It's up to the refs/umps to be ever vigilant and be fair/non-bias to both teams and the fans.
    Last edited by RBA; 11-07-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I used to pull guys' pants down and keep my knee pressed up against their outer thigh in order to deliver an instant charlie horse, and when I played forward guys would constantly punch me in the kidneys when marking on my back. A certain amount of that stuff occurs off the ball all the time and it's really part of the game. For the most part it's meant to be more of a distraction and to send a message that you are there and that you are ready to knock someone around to win a ball, but what that NM player was doing is clearly over the line.
    I never played soccer, but I am telling you right now.... if someone did that stuff to me that you are talking about, I would have turned around and punched them in the face a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I never played soccer, but I am telling you right now.... if someone did that stuff to me that you are talking about, I would have turned around and punched them in the face a few times.
    It's a lot like basketball, where you're likely to get some nice elbows thrown at you underneath the basket. The thing is, you have to keep your cool. You want the ref to see it and give them a red. However, if you retaliate, you're risking being the one caught (it's always the second person who gets caught). In other sports, an ejection just means you are out of the game and someone off the bench has to play in your spot. In soccer, that red means your team plays a man down for the rest of the game.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Looks like New Mexico has suspended her.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...c=ncaa&cc=5901
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Soccer needs ratings...this is a good way to get them

The refs should be suspended, too. The only yellow card she got was for dissent.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    How a person competes says a lot about their character. I played soccer my whole life and how you played the game either built or reduced your integrity in your opponent's estimation. Clearly, integrity doesn't mean that much to you. I wonder why you would admit to such reprehensible tactics - catharsis may not be good for the image you cultivate,

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    How a person competes says a lot about their character. I played soccer my whole life and how you played the game either built or reduced your integrity in your opponent's estimation. Clearly, integrity doesn't mean that much to you. I wonder why you would admit to such reprehensible tactics - catharsis may not be good for the image you cultivate,
    I've never really been a fan of the defenders who take cheap shots myself. Of course I usually played on the right wing toward the end of my organized soccer playing days and was on the receiving end of the abuse when it happened. I'd agree that I had more respect for defenders who worked hard and used their body to knock you off the ball in a tough, but fair, way. Throwing elbows, coming in studs up, or other tactics meant to hurt or intimidate someone isn't the way to go. Of course in my experience, people who play that way think that's the way you win and thrive on goading opponents into retaliating. The only way to deal with it is to ignore it and do your best to beat the guy to the ball. You do your team no good by retaliating and drawing a red.

In other soccer news, a youth league recently saw a dust up reminiscent of the incident between Zinedine Zidane and Marco Materrazzi in the 'o6 (minus the headbutt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIKov...layer_embedded

Turn Off Ads?