Turn Off Ads?

Thread: iPod / MP3 question

I'm toolsy.

iPod / MP3 question

I'm sure this has been answered here several times, but with the Christmas season coming up, I need to ask again. My GF and I both have iPhones and use iTunes for music. Our kiddo, who is 6, has said that he wants an iPod this year. I'm sure it will get little to no use and plenty of abuse. Since iPods are substantially more expensive than "generic" MP3 players, we would prefer to go the MP3 route. My question is:

Will I be able to use the music that we have already acquired via iTunes to populate a "non-iPod" MP3 player? Is this an easy process? Thanks for any advice.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: iPod / MP3 question

Is it iTunes Store purchased music, or just music tagged and sorted with iTunes?

If it's from the iTMS, you've got two options.

1-Most of the files at the store now are DRM-free. It depends on when you made your purchases. Those would be free to move to whatever player you wish.

2-If you've got protected files, you'd have to burn them to disc and re-rip to play on a non-Apple player.

You can tell if the files are protected or not by right-clicking on the file in iTunes and going to "get info". Under the summary tab in the "kind" category it will say "protected AAC audio file" if they are protected.

Turn Off Ads?