Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres a trade that may interest the Reds

Heres a trade that may interest the Reds

Angels get: Cordero

and

Reds get: Mathews Jr. and/or Wood or Izturus(sp)

The money is close and the Reds get their young SS in Wood or Izturus. Infact the Reds would save a little money I believe. Look at this lineup.

1) Stubbs - CF
    2) Phillips - 2B
    3) Votto - 1B
    4) Rolen - 3B
    5) Bruce - RF
    6) Wood or Izturus - SS
    7) Mathews Jr. - LF
    8) Hernandez - C

Thats a good lineup and great defense in the field. That OF would be one of the best if not best in the league and the same for the IF. I believe that team could win 90 or more games easy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heres a trade that may interest the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post

and

The money is close and the Reds get their young SS in Wood or Izturus. Infact the Reds would save a little money I believe. Look at this lineup.

1) Stubbs - CF
    2) Phillips - 2B
    3) Votto - 1B
    4) Rolen - 3B
    5) Bruce - RF
    6) Wood or Izturus - SS
    7) Mathews Jr. - LF
    8) Hernandez - C

Thats a good lineup and great defense in the field. That OF would be one of the best if not best in the league and the same for the IF. I believe that team could win 90 or more games easy.
    Replace Mathews Jr with about anyone and the lineup gets instantly better. Ill take Dickerson, Gomes, or some of our AAA guys first.

Knowing Dusty, he'd probably make Matthews, Jr. the starting center fielder.

We don't need Matthews. We already have an overloaded OF.

While I definitely like Izturis, I'm not sure about Wood; he doesn't have much experience.

Matthews seems like an okay OF, but MotownRed is right; the last thing we need is another mediocre OF. I like Gomes and his power better anyway.

If Matthews was an extraordinary OF, this trade may be okay, but I just don't think he is.

Edit: Besides, I'm not sure I want to give up Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Knowing Dusty, he'd probably make Matthews, Jr. the starting center fielder.
    LOL, he probably would.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post

and

1) Stubbs - CF
    2) Phillips - 2B
    3) Votto - 1B
    4) Rolen - 3B
    5) Bruce - RF
    6) Wood or Izturus - SS
    7) Mathews Jr. - LF
    8) Hernandez - C

This topic came up a short time back. I believe Izturis' contract was up at the end of this season according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.

I want no part of Gary Matthews, Jr. in a Reds uniform.

I don't really get why so many people are so willing to unload Cordero. He may be expensive, but at least he's earning his money. I'd worry about getting rid of the guys who aren't earning their money first.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I want no part of Gary Matthews, Jr. in a Reds uniform.

I don't really get why so many people are so willing to unload Cordero. He may be expensive, but at least he's earning his money. I'd worry about getting rid of the guys who aren't earning their money first.
    I agree. People need to remember a couple of years ago when the Reds would regularly lose leads (and games) in the 8th and 9th innings. Cordero has changed all of that, and we should appreciate having a good, dependable closer! Keep him! Why ruin an area of strength?

Not only is Cordero good as a closer, but he makes the rest of the bullpen better. There's no doubt that he's overpaid, but it's very difficult to put a price on what he brings to the team. If any of you remember watching Masset try to finish out games late in the season, it was pretty much a disaster. I don't have much faith in Burton to have a rebound year either. If you trade Cordero, you better be getting something more than salary flexibility. Believe it or not, 2006 would've been a playoff year if they had had Cordero on the team.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah, I'd rather trade Harang than Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather trade Harang than Cordero.
    Same here. Our pitching didn't lose games for us last season, which was a (very) nice change. Now what does everyone see as our #1 bargaining chip? Trading (one of) the reasons our pitching was not blamed last season.
    Cheers mates, that's solid logic.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Not only is Cordero good as a closer, but he makes the rest of the bullpen better. There's no doubt that he's overpaid, but it's very difficult to put a price on what he brings to the team. If any of you remember watching Masset try to finish out games late in the season, it was pretty much a disaster. I don't have much faith in Burton to have a rebound year either. If you trade Cordero, you better be getting something more than salary flexibility. Believe it or not, 2006 would've been a playoff year if they had had Cordero on the team.
    I am glad you pointed this out. At times I feel like everyone forgets about that year and the ones surrounding it where we would blow 20+saves a season. If you look at how our bullpen performs as a whole, they are worth the money they make as a whole. So to me it does not really matter how the money is spread around. If it is 12 here and a bunch of guys at about a million or under thats fine. Or if we have a few guys making 2-3 million.

I'm gonna have to third the motion of trading Harang over Cordero. He's simply more valuable to the team.

So more cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am glad you pointed this out. At times I feel like everyone forgets about that year and the ones surrounding it where we would blow 20+saves a season. If you look at how our bullpen performs as a whole, they are worth the money they make as a whole. So to me it does not really matter how the money is spread around. If it is 12 here and a bunch of guys at about a million or under thats fine. Or if we have a few guys making 2-3 million.
    Good post. Agreed 100%.

-Matt

Turn Off Ads?