Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miguel Olivo

Re: Miguel Olivo

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    as opposed to Hernandez who has no power or on on-base skills.
    Hernandez has decent on base skills for a catcher (career .327 OBP compared to Olivo's .278). His power seems to have left him in recent years, though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Hernandez has decent on base skills for a catcher (career .327 OBP compared to Olivo's .278). His power seems to have left him in recent years, though.
    his skills are gone ... and 327 still stinks. I don't care if my 7th or 8th place hitter gets on base much but I sure like them to have some pop.

The one thing I like about Hernandez is that he can play some first base in a pinch. I would like to keep him around but I doubt he will go low enough to justify his part time player status.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Olivo > Hernandez
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Olivo whiffs a ton. A whiff every 3 AB's.

Market is pretty forgiving right now -- Olivo, Torrealba, Ramon plus others. Would be nice to see the team sew somebody up and then move on to more complicated maneuvers.

Sigh. Nothing like a team too behind the times to even join last decade, let alone this one.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    Yes. I think whoever they get will have some serious flaws. I'd love to see a deal with Min for Morales or better yet Ramos. I also think Navarro at TB is good buy low candidate. Kelly Shoppach from Cleveland, Taylor Teagarden from Texas and the previously mentioned John Buck are guys that would be interesting and may be odd men out where they currently are. He may not be ready yet, but I like Jonathon Lucroy from Milwaukee as another guy who could help and may be expendable (MIL has Salome as well).

The thing for me is, I'd like to see a younger player. Everyone seems to think the Reds need a vet to pair with 2nd year guy Hanigan, but Hanigan will be 30 in August. He's the vet as far as I'm concerned. If the team needs more "wisdom" I'd keep Corky Miller around as a coach or organizational guru. Lets get some upside for the roster itself though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Sigh. Nothing like a team too behind the times to even join last decade, let alone this one.
    there waiting for it to come back in fashion

The biggest problem with signing Olivo is that he would then be on your roster.

This team is OBP challanged enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Both SS and C have a chance (a good chance) to be as bad as... well, CF and SS were last season. No offense can have three (including the P spot) black holes and expect to win.

And an OF that includes Bruce, Stubbs/ Dickerson, and Gomes should be around or better than league average overall for each spot, IMO.
    It is the first 5-6 batters I am conerned with, the lower portion if good is a bonus.

I like that above and can find myself looking excitedly forward to those four in the OF. It is the rest of the fodder that takes up AB/PA that wearies me, along with batters who are poor against right handed pitching, and that turns me into Mr. apathy. Of course better would be better.

You're opinion is as good or better than mine, I am fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    Yes. I did not see many walks or OBP, I did some HR that so many are in love with.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Olivo > Hernandez
    I agree. I like Ramon but at this point I'd rather have Olivo. At least he has some power.

is pudge still out there?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If these are the choices, we are doomed.

If you people weren't so terrific, there would be no point.

I hold on by a very thin thread each year.

Turn Off Ads?