Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 308

Thread: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

  1. #46
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,611

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Someone had said earlier that division record was the first tie-breaker, so I think Dan was just saying that he had believed that it was instead head-to-head, and that my post confirmed that for him.
    Right. That's why I said earlier that if the Bengals win they could just start printing playoff tickets. Obviously, it won't be a lock but I'd be at least a little bit surprised if they didn't make it in after another win vs Pitt.
    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think this team is a LOCK playoff team. However, in terms of how far we go in the playoffs, I have two big concerns right now:

    1. Benson. The second leading ball carrier this season is Bernard Scott with 17. 17 carries!!!! That's simply horrific. That has to change. If Benson keeps up at this current pace, he might be shot by the end of the year. They have to find a way to spell the guy.

    2. Defensive end. I don't know if we can get enough of a rush on opposing ELITE QB's (Manning, Brady, Big Ben, etc.) The defense is unquestionably very good. But the loss of Odom was huge. Fanene and Geathers are solid, along with Rucker, but that's clearly the weakness of the defense right now. They have been great against the run, but none of those guys can really get to the QB consistently, especially against top offensive linemen. We have to find a way to get to the QB without blitzing. I would love to see Michael Johnson step up the second half of the year and contribute a flurry of sacks.

    This team is really, really good. Hardly a weakness in sight (I would label tight end as one). Whether it's Super Bowl good or not... remains to be seen. But this year, in contrast to 2005, I feel it's a possibility. The 2005 team wasn't tough, and it wasn't mature. This team is both.
    1. Yeah Benson has been a workhorse but I think he could get some rest, if they have to, vs Cleveland, Detroit, Oakland, and KC.

    2. Losing Odom was big and Henry hurts too. Gradually working Andre Smith into the offensive line mix helps though. But they really can't afford more injuries like those.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,284

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Don't forget about Johnathan Joseph as a strong defensive player.

    320

  4. #48
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,469

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Bengals are 7.5 point underdogs.

    The Oakland game will be a win unless the Bengals turn the ball over a bunch, Cincinnati D isn't going to have much trouble with Jamarcus Russel.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  5. #49
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    The keys to the Steelers game is that the Bengals have to contain the run and keep Roethlisberger in the pocket. From what I've seen, he gets antsy when he can't move around on the field. The Bengals also have had experience upsetting the Steelers at Heinz Field.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  6. #50
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,297

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think this team is a LOCK playoff team. However, in terms of how far we go in the playoffs, I have two big concerns right now:

    1. Benson. The second leading ball carrier this season is Bernard Scott with 17. 17 carries!!!! That's simply horrific. That has to change. If Benson keeps up at this current pace, he might be shot by the end of the year. They have to find a way to spell the guy.

    2. Defensive end. I don't know if we can get enough of a rush on opposing ELITE QB's (Manning, Brady, Big Ben, etc.) The defense is unquestionably very good. But the loss of Odom was huge. Fanene and Geathers are solid, along with Rucker, but that's clearly the weakness of the defense right now. They have been great against the run, but none of those guys can really get to the QB consistently, especially against top offensive linemen. We have to find a way to get to the QB without blitzing. I would love to see Michael Johnson step up the second half of the year and contribute a flurry of sacks.

    This team is really, really good. Hardly a weakness in sight (I would label tight end as one). Whether it's Super Bowl good or not... remains to be seen. But this year, in contrast to 2005, I feel it's a possibility. The 2005 team wasn't tough, and it wasn't mature. This team is both.
    1. Scott was in line to get carries against Chicago but got hurt. When you look back, the Chicago game was really the only game he had a chance to get carries. They just haven't had a game where the back up rookie RB could get significant carries. Hopefully games against Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, and KC will allow Scott to get carries.

    2. I said the same thing about Oden tailgating before the Houston game. My friend pointed out that the majority of his sacks came in the GB game. It escalated when Clifton went out, but Aaron Rogers has been a tackling dummy this season. Im not saying that Oden isn't a good pass rusher, but he isn't elite. While he is a loss, I think the DE's have been doing a pretty good job of putting pressure on the QB. I really like what Johnson brings to the table, and he is one of the few Bengals pass rushers who will knock passes down. Oden may have been the best, but I don't think he was the best by all that much.

    More than anything what worries me about this team is a letdown. Not holding serve. As GB saw last weekend, Philly saw out in Oakland, and the Bengals almost saw in Cleveland, if you don't bring your A game you can lose. The Bengals MUST hold serve, something they should do this season, but I have visions of Buffalo winning at home on Christmas eve years ago.

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    2. I said the same thing about Oden tailgating before the Houston game. My friend pointed out that the majority of his sacks came in the GB game. It escalated when Clifton went out, but Aaron Rogers has been a tackling dummy this season. Im not saying that Oden isn't a good pass rusher, but he isn't elite. While he is a loss, I think the DE's have been doing a pretty good job of putting pressure on the QB. I really like what Johnson brings to the table, and he is one of the few Bengals pass rushers who will knock passes down. Oden may have been the best, but I don't think he was the best by all that much.

    To add to this, one big reason for the elevated sack numbers is the coverage in the secondary. Most notably Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall have been very, very good. Give that defensive line time to reach the QB and they will be there. They may not be elite, but they are pressuring the QB quite well. I think the credit has to go to the whole defensive unit. Very nice to actually see them work as a team this year. I actually don't even worry about the defense, I worry about the offense staying consistent throughout the whole game. Quite a reversal from 2005.

  8. #52
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,396

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    1. Scott was in line to get carries against Chicago but got hurt. When you look back, the Chicago game was really the only game he had a chance to get carries. They just haven't had a game where the back up rookie RB could get significant carries. Hopefully games against Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, and KC will allow Scott to get carries.

    2. I said the same thing about Oden tailgating before the Houston game. My friend pointed out that the majority of his sacks came in the GB game. It escalated when Clifton went out, but Aaron Rogers has been a tackling dummy this season. Im not saying that Oden isn't a good pass rusher, but he isn't elite. While he is a loss, I think the DE's have been doing a pretty good job of putting pressure on the QB. I really like what Johnson brings to the table, and he is one of the few Bengals pass rushers who will knock passes down. Oden may have been the best, but I don't think he was the best by all that much.

    More than anything what worries me about this team is a letdown. Not holding serve. As GB saw last weekend, Philly saw out in Oakland, and the Bengals almost saw in Cleveland, if you don't bring your A game you can lose. The Bengals MUST hold serve, something they should do this season, but I have visions of Buffalo winning at home on Christmas eve years ago.
    I agree with you completely about Odom. I said when he got hurt that I didn't think it was a huge loss, because the guy was playing way over his head, and wasn't an 8 sack kind of guy after five or six games. But he was a presence nonetheless, a solid veteran. I was a little worried about the line before he got hurt. I think they're solid, and I'm not pushing the panic button about the situation at all, but I think it could be a factor at some point.

    And I have visions of the Oakland game we lost in 2003. The Raiders were 3-13 that year I think, first year after their Super Bowl loss. We went in there and laid a stink bomb early in the season, and that game ended up being a big blow when we finished 8-8 at the beginning of the year.

    But I don't see a letdown with this team. They are remarkably solid across the board.

  9. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,057

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    That 2003 game was the 2nd game of the season...in the 1st season of Marvin Lewis tenure...after being blown out by Denver in the opener.

    That they almost won that game was a sign that things were going to get a little better but I never expected them to win that game at all. This is completely different.

    BTW.....How many times have the Bengals opened against Denver? It has to be about 10 at least.

  10. #54
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    That 2003 game was the 2nd game of the season...in the 1st season of Marvin Lewis tenure...after being blown out by Denver in the opener.

    That they almost won that game was a sign that things were going to get a little better but I never expected them to win that game at all. This is completely different.

    BTW.....How many times have the Bengals opened against Denver? It has to be about 10 at least.
    Also, I think Jeremi Johnson and Ochocinco are the only ones still on the team that played in that game.

  11. #55
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think this team is a LOCK playoff team. However, in terms of how far we go in the playoffs, I have two big concerns right now:

    1. Benson. The second leading ball carrier this season is Bernard Scott with 17. 17 carries!!!! That's simply horrific. That has to change. If Benson keeps up at this current pace, he might be shot by the end of the year. They have to find a way to spell the guy.

    2. Defensive end. I don't know if we can get enough of a rush on opposing ELITE QB's (Manning, Brady, Big Ben, etc.) The defense is unquestionably very good. But the loss of Odom was huge. Fanene and Geathers are solid, along with Rucker, but that's clearly the weakness of the defense right now. They have been great against the run, but none of those guys can really get to the QB consistently, especially against top offensive linemen. We have to find a way to get to the QB without blitzing. I would love to see Michael Johnson step up the second half of the year and contribute a flurry of sacks.

    This team is really, really good. Hardly a weakness in sight (I would label tight end as one). Whether it's Super Bowl good or not... remains to be seen. But this year, in contrast to 2005, I feel it's a possibility. The 2005 team wasn't tough, and it wasn't mature. This team is both.
    I agree especially with #2, Odom was playing unconscious those 1st few games and it helped everyone on the line/defense. And even though I agree that his sack numbers are/were a bit flukish due to the GB game he still was getting consistent pressure in every game on every team and that is all that truly matters, the sacks are secondary to the pressure itself. Now to some extent that was by design as Zimm was using him inside alot on 3rd down so he got a couple of sacks and quite a bit of pressure from a DT spot but it worked. They haven't been quite as good/consistent since he got injured at getting pressure but they are doing better than last year which I think means schematically we have learned a few ways to get to the QB which we can carry forward and work off of. I hope Rucker plays this weekend he is dinged up a bit but he seems to be picking up some of the slack lately.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  12. #56
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree especially with #2, Odom was playing unconscious those 1st few games and it helped everyone on the line/defense. And even though I agree that his sack numbers are/were a bit flukish due to the GB game he still was getting consistent pressure in every game on every team and that is all that truly matters, the sacks are secondary to the pressure itself. Now to some extent that was by design as Zimm was using him inside alot on 3rd down so he got a couple of sacks and quite a bit of pressure from a DT spot but it worked. They haven't been quite as good/consistent since he got injured at getting pressure but they are doing better than last year which I think means schematically we have learned a few ways to get to the QB which we can carry forward and work off of. I hope Rucker plays this weekend he is dinged up a bit but he seems to be picking up some of the slack lately.
    I don't know. I thought Flacco looked pressured much of last week's game.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  13. #57
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Question regarding the RB situation-

    Would you take a flyer on Larry Johnson right now? Mike Brown has been known to give players second chances, and LJ spelling Cedric Benson and alleviating the workload could only be beneficial in the short run.

    I say sign him for the rest of the season to let him get himself back on track, let him leave as a FA, and hope that Scott comes back to form or we draft a complimentary back.

    That being said, I think Dan Snyder will have a bigger say in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  14. #58
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    I wouldn't. If he comes in it becomes a mini-circus. Why mess up a good thing? It's like if a baseball team decided to bring in Milton Bradley for the stretch run.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  15. #59
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    In the Ether
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Really, all you can say at this point is that yes, they have a good shot at the playoffs. There's a whole lot of football left to play and so many possibilities to get derailed. Any given Sunday, injuries, distractions, etc. I hope some of the young guys actually get better as the season progresses. Rookies Michael Johnson, Rey Maualuga, Andre Smith, Bernard Scott, and Quan Cosby as well as 2nd year guys Dennis Roland, Kyle Cook, Keith Rivers, Orien Harris, Pat Sims...this is a pretty young team. As these guys go through the season, they'll either improve or wear down...either way, I plan on enjoying the ride.

    "Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

  16. #60
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't know. I thought Flacco looked pressured much of last week's game.
    Very true but I think part of that is the fact that their WR's IMHO are coverable, so I think alot of that pressure was of the coverage variety. This week will be a far better test with Hines and Holmes along with Wallace and Miller. Although I happen to think the Steelers O-line isn't a real good pass blocking unit. We should still get some pressure but Bens ability to scramble and make plays is what helps his WR's get open better than most teams.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25