Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Cut LJ

Chiefs Cut LJ

Wow, I didn't really expect him to be cut. I suppose the Raiders might have some interest beyond that who might have further interest? Pats? Good lord don't let him go to the Patriots!!

Link

Chiefs release Larry Johnson after one-week suspension ends
    Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Larry Johnson's record-breaking career as a Kansas City running back is over.

The Chiefs confirmed Monday that they had run out of patience with his off-the-field problems and released Johnson the day he was due to come back from his second suspension in a year.

Johnson, who turns 30 on Nov. 19, was just 75 yards away from breaking Priest Holmes' team rushing record.

"A part of him is excited and a part of him is very regretful," said Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer. "There's a lot of feelings going on right now. It's analogous to breaking up with a girlfriend. Maybe you saw it coming, but it still hurts when it happens."

The Chiefs still owe Johnson $2.275 million — the remaining portion of his $4.55 million salary this season. Johnson's contract runs through 2012, but none of it, besides the $2.275 million still owed to him, is guaranteed.

A No. 1 draft choice out of Penn State in 2003, Johnson was one of the best running backs in the NFL in 2005 and 2006, rushing for more than 1,700 yards in each of those Pro Bowl seasons.

But often angry and sullen, he was dogged by controversy and frequently at odds with coaches and fans. On Oct. 25, in what turned out to be his final episode with the Chiefs, he posted on his Twitter account several insults to fans, questioned coach Todd Haley's credentials and used a gay slur.

He reportedly repeated the slur the next day to reporters and was suspended for two weeks. At Schaffer's urging, the Chiefs cut the financial penalty in half, saving him about $315,000.

Johnson was the subject of an online petition last week calling on the Chiefs not to let him break the team rushing record. He was never a fan favorite and his apology for the online comments came almost exactly one year after issuing a similar apology for alleged incidents involving women in Kansas City night clubs.

In 2008, then-coach Herm Edwards benched him for three straight games for violating team rules. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him a fourth game for violating the league's player conduct policy.

Johnson was later sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace. One woman accused him of throwing a drink on her and another said he had pushed her head at a Kansas City night spot.

A judge suspended the sentence and said he would remove the guilty plea from the public record if Johnson has no further legal problems during probation.

On the field, Johnson has not run with the quickness and strength that characterized his Pro Bowl years since setting an NFL record with 416 rushing attempts in 2006. He set the team single-season rushing record that season with 1,789 yards.

This year, in 132 carries behind inconsistent blocking, he averaged only 2.7 yards per carry. He ends his Chiefs career with 5,996 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns. He also caught 151 passes for 1,369 yards and six TDs.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chiefs Cut LJ

Since Portis suffered a concussion yesterday, I fully expect the Redskins to jump in with both feet to the tune of a 6-year, $55 million offer for LJ.

Only half kidding.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Hypothetically, if Cedric Benson became injured at some point in the next few weeks, would you be willing to give LJ a shot? I love Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard, but I don't think they have what it takes to keep the running game at 4.0+ yards per carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Hypothetically, if Cedric Benson became injured at some point in the next few weeks, would you be willing to give LJ a shot? I love Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard, but I don't think they have what it takes to keep the running game at 4.0+ yards per carry.
    He'll probably not be available, there are enough teams in need of his talent that I'd be surprised if he even clears waivers. I just hope he doesn't end up in Pittsburgh which is where he'd like to go apparently according to ESPN.

I'm thinking Big Blue could take a chance on him as Jacobs has fallen off quick and they are in need of a big back to make that offense go. Jacobs seemed to have hurt his knee in their game Sunday also, don't know how serious.

NYG
    Pittsburgh
    Cleveland
    NE
    Denver
    Seattle
    Philly
    Skins

I could see any of those teams pick him up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I remember when Larry Johnson ran for the softest 2,000 yards in CFB history. Didn't the guy average like 30 yards a game against "top" opponents and then absolutely tore up inferior competition?

Correct

Code:
    Date  		Opponent  	Att  	Yds  	TD  
    Aug. 31 	UCF 		0 	0 	0 	
    Sep. 14 	Nebraska 	19 	123 	2 	
    Sep. 21 	Louisiana Tech 	17 	147 	2 	
    Sep. 28 	Iowa 	  	18 	68 	1 	
    Oct. 05 	Wisconsin 	14 	111 	1 	
    Oct. 12 	Michigan 	17 	78 	1 	
    Oct. 19 	Northwestern 	23 	257 	2 	
    Oct. 26 	Ohio St. 	16 	66 	1 	
    Nov. 02 	Illinois 	31 	279 	1 	
    Nov. 09 	Virginia 	31 	188 	1 	
    Nov. 16 	Indiana 	28 	327 	4 	
    Nov. 23 	Michigan St. 	19 	279 	4 	
    Jan. 01 	Auburn 	  	20 	72 	0 		
    TOTALS 				271 	2087 	20
    Last edited by The Operator; 11-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Since Portis suffered a concussion yesterday, I fully expect the Redskins to jump in with both feet to the tune of a 6-year, $55 million offer for LJ.

Only half kidding.
    LOL!!

Redskins coach Jim Zorn did not rule out the possibility of the Redskins pursuing Larry Johnson. He said the team has had internal discussions this morning and will continue to talk about the troubled running back. Zorn said the team will likely sign a running back if Clinton Portis can't play -- he specifically mention Quinton Ganther, whom the team released last Friday. As for Johnson, "I don't know," Zorn said. "I need to have a longer conversation than I've had to make a decision," Zorn said.

Washington Post

--Woody Hayes

You can set your watch by the Skins' bad decisions.

It's cute that Zorn thinks he has a say in it though. He's the lamest of ducks.
    -Air Supply

Washington's season's over. What's the point of picking up LJ for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well sure, if you want to be all logical about it.
    -Air Supply

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The same line that gave LJ his 2.5 YPC is giving Charles 5+.

I think he's done, but watch him do well somewhere.

Johnson should send Willie Roaf half his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Correct

Code:
    Date  		Opponent  	Att  	Yds  	TD  

Nov. 16 	        Indiana 	28 	327 	4 	

TOTALS
    Ugh, that one left skid marks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Ugh, that one left skid marks.
    Those stat lines are why I hate college football.

If you can do that to a team, why are you playing?

Seriously- it's like playing Madden on rookie level and going around and telling people you went undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The same could of been said about the Bengals picking up Benson last year.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    He'll probably not be available, there are enough teams in need of his talent that I'd be surprised if he even clears waivers. ...
    Surprise surprise:
    Source: No team claimed Johnson

No team claimed running back Larry Johnson off waivers, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, which means Johnson now is free to sign with any team and the Kansas City Chiefs must pay him the balance of the $2.1 million left on his contract this season.

The Chiefs released Johnson on Monday, the day he was due back from his second suspension in the past 12 months. Johnson was suspended for posting a gay slur on his Twitter account and questioning the competence of head coach Todd Haley.

The 29-year-old was also fined for his actions. Last week, an online fan petition was started asking the Chiefs not to let Johnson become the team's all-time leading rusher -- a record he's just 75 yards shy of.

Behind a poor offensive line this year, Johnson has averaged a paltry 2.7 yards for the Chiefs (1-7) and appeared not to have the quickness and punishing power that enabled him to rush for more than 1,700 yards in Pro Bowl seasons in 2005 and '06.

Johnson winds up his Chiefs career with 5,996 yards rushing and 55 touchdowns. He also caught 151 passes for 1,369 yards and six TDs.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Turn Off Ads?