Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could the Reds sign Jason Bay...

High five!

Could the Reds sign Jason Bay...

...'s Doppleganger? Fangraphs thinks they could produce similarly. The summary:

If you want a right-handed hitting outfielder this winter, and you don’t want to pony up for Matt Holliday, Jason Bay is not the alternative. Call Mike Cameron instead.
    It's a pretty interesting article.
    Last edited by nate; 11-09-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fixed my quote formatting

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could the Reds sign Jason Bay...

Interesting...here's a question for the group. Last year Dickerson performed poorly in LF at the beginning of the season and much of the blame was attributed to him being more comfy in CF than LF. I don't buy it that much but I can play along.

Would/Could that rule out Cameron? Could he just make the move to LF or would someone like Stubbs be able to make the switch? Would a move like this flop?

Just curious on thoughts from others.

I'm worried that at age 37, his production is due to fall off the cliff any day now, or at least see a big reduction.

Maybe he'll continue to perform at his current level in 2010, but I don't want to bet millions of dollars and precious payflex on it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I would LOVE to see the Reds sign Mike Cameron. He's always been one of my favorite players AND he's still productive.

pass. on OPS+ of 110 for a neutral or plus defender in CF is great. an OPS+ of 110 for a left fielder isn't so great.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I'm worried that at age 37, his production is due to fall off the cliff any day now, or at least see a big reduction.

Maybe he'll continue to perform at his current level in 2010, but I don't want to bet millions of dollars and precious payflex on it.
    Bay is 31 years old and is probably due for a big payday. If you're the Reds, signing Bay means you could live with Janish and Hanigan's production in the lineup. Janish seem to held his own batting second while Hanigan would be suited for the eighth spot. But would this lineup be this bad?.....

Stubbs cf
    Janish ss
    Votto lb
    Bay lf
    Rolen 3b
    Phillips 2b
    Bruce rf
    Hanigan c
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Bay is 31 years old and is probably due for a big payday. If you're the Reds, signing Bay means you could live with Janish and Hanigan's production in the lineup. Janish seem to held his own batting second while Hanigan would be suited for the eighth spot. But would this lineup be this bad?.....

Stubbs cf
    Janish ss
    Votto lb
    Bay lf
    Rolen 3b
    Phillips 2b
    Bruce rf
    Hanigan c
    I think TN44 was referring to Cameron.

That lineup would be improved from 2009 though. However, I'm not sure it's the best bang for the Reds' buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post

Stubbs cf
    Janish ss
    Votto lb
    Bay lf
    Rolen 3b
    Phillips 2b
    Bruce rf
    Hanigan c
    I was talking about Cameron, as Nate said.

However, I would love to see the Reds get Bay, if they could afford him.

Just look at my name and the # on the back of his uniform.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I was talking about Cameron, as Nate said.

However, I would love to see the Reds get Bay, if they could afford him.

Just look at my name and the # on the back of his uniform.
    Well, if ownership is serious about winning this would most definitely make a splash. If you're going to turn around this cycle of losing then an impact signing might get fans excited about coming to the ballpark again.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

This team will go down in flames with Stubbs and Janish at the top of the order.

In flames.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This team will go down in flames with Stubbs and Janish at the top of the order.

In flames.
    Janish sure.... Stubbs has a career of getting on base and every game that went by in the majors, his OBP went up. He started slow.... but his OBP kept going up toward the mean of what we would expect to see the longer he was in the majors. I think its a little early to suggest he will be a problem at the top of the lineup.

Haunted by walks

What's Brett Tomko doing these days?

Stubbs and Janish's D could cover a good amount of the Dunn-ness that Bay reportedly has defensively in LF (Stubbs going to LCF, Janish getting the bloops), and Bay's bat could allow us to hide Janish's bat in the 8 spot. A good catcher to tandem with Hanigan is then a necessity.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Mike Cameron would be an awesome addition of course.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Mike Cameron would be an awesome addition of course.
    I want very little to do with a 37 year old PED enhanced player.

Bay is interesting, he does a pretty good job of getting on base (with the exception of 2007). I think it all depends on $ and years. I don't think I would want to commit a large chunk of my payroll now and into the future on Bay. I would rather see Votto in LF than Bay in LF.

Turn Off Ads?