Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The John Gruden Honeymoon is Over

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The John Gruden Honeymoon is Over

After the first two weeks, I thought he was a pretty cool guy to watch a football game with.

Now, I'm tired of everyone being "a football player," "someone who nobody outside of ________ has ever heard of," "my kind of player."

Not everything that happens on a football field is extraordinary.

After awhile, you start feeling like you're being sold, and once that feeling hits, nobody's buying.

I always try to give it another chance, but ESPN might be about the most unwatchable network there is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The John Gruden Honeymoon is Over

I use their website for scores and stats, among several others; but I've never been a regular viewer of ESPN. Pretty much can't stand the network. About the most it gets out of me, as far as viewership, is during the college football season, because I liked Herbstreit and Corso on College GameDay. May and Holtz are simply painful.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Gruden was bad? I couldn't tell with Jaworski's fawning over the Steelers. Yea, Ron, the Steelers are good, we get it. I'm not even sure why the other team shows up.

I don't mind ESPN, except for the Monday night football group.
    And I definitely don't understand what's so bad about Joe Morgan, who, although not mentioned in this thread yet, everyone seems to hate.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This wouldn't have anything to do with Gruden's pro-Steelers comments during last night's telecast, would it? As I was watching, I figured that would get under the skin of more than a few Bengals fans.

Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Gruden was bad? I couldn't tell with Jaworski's fawning over the Steelers. Yea, Ron, the Steelers are good, we get it. I'm not even sure why the other team shows up.
    Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This wouldn't have anything to do with Gruden's pro-Steelers comments during last night's telecast, would it? As I was watching, I figured that would get under the skin of more than a few Bengals fans.

I will admit I'm biased- but Gruden started to wear on me weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I will admit I'm biased- but Gruden started to wear on me weeks ago.

I like Gruden but I also dont watch every monday night game. He gets excited over good football and keeps you entertained.

Last night was probably the first MNF game I've watched and paid attention to this year.

Was it just me or did it sound like Jaws and Tirico were right next to each other and Gruden was about 15 feet behind them shouting everything. Maybe it's just how his voice sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I know it is annoying hearing about them talk about Pittsburgh but they just seem to know how to make other teams play as bad as possible against them.
    So either they make them do it or they all seem to figure how to choke when they play them. Almost like when teams do stupid things against the Yankees and you cannot understand how they can play so bad against them and not like that against everyone else. They are both good but the other teams also seem to play stupid as well.

In the same vain as being like the Yankees...being in the same division as the Steelers is like being the Orioles or Blue Jays. But instead of money...it is their way of doing things that leaves everyone else in the dust in regards to getting players to tailor to what they are doing.

The Bengals picked a bad time to be put in the same division as the Steelers way back in 1970.... no one ever thought they would be any better than they had been for the previous 20 years and now they hardly ever have any down cycles at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Last night was probably the first MNF game I've watched and paid attention to this year.

Was it just me or did it sound like Jaws and Tirico were right next to each other and Gruden was about 15 feet behind them shouting everything. Maybe it's just how his voice sounds.
    No, he definitely yells. I was in the other room at one point and I thought by the sound of his voice that somebody must've scored on the first 150-yard TD run in NFL history. Turns out it was just some random first down that he thought was the latest most amazing thing he'd ever seen.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    No, he definitely yells. I was in the other room at one point and I thought by the sound of his voice that somebody must've scored on the first 150-yard TD run in NFL history. Turns out it was just some random first down that he thought was the latest most amazing thing he'd ever seen.
    Well said that's exactly him, now wonder he couldn't draft a good player he falls in love with all of them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Must be that I'm coming up on my 25th wedding anniversary, but I tune all the announcer blah-blah out and just watch the ballgame. I've come to prefer EPL-style soccer announcers, i.e. less is more.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I always try to give it another chance, but ESPN might be about the most unwatchable network there is.
    I agree with this quote 100%. Espn has been ruined by their self promotion and self importance.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?