Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The John Gruden Honeymoon is Over

Re: The John Gruden Honeymoon is Over

Yeah, I watched last week for the first time this year and could not believe how dumb the guy sounds in the booth. The guy obviously has a pretty good football IQ, yet he sounds almost like Keyshon Johnson in the booth.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope he is off the air after this season and on the sidelines of the Carolina Panthers as head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I hope he is off the air after this season and on the sidelines of the Carolina Panthers as head coach.
    Why in Odens beard would you do that to the Panthers?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why in Odens beard would you do that to the Panthers?
    Because he'd coax Brian Griese out of retirement to replace Jake Delhomme?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    No, he definitely yells. I was in the other room at one point and I thought by the sound of his voice that somebody must've scored on the first 150-yard TD run in NFL history. Turns out it was just some random first down that he thought was the latest most amazing thing he'd ever seen.
    Is it just me, or does anybody else think it sounds like Gruden is doing impressions of John Wayne?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Is it just me, or does anybody else think it sounds like Gruden is doing impressions of John Wayne?
    Absoloutely.

And Randy, I am telling you, you want no part of John Gruden. None.

Unless you like 6 quarterbacks on your roster .

I still miss Dennis Miller....
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I still miss Dennis Miller....
    I liked Dennis Miller in the booth, I thought he was entertaining. usually I don;t care one way or another about announcers, I watch the game and can filter out what I don't like.

I do like Gruden though, I appreciate his enthusiasm and while it may be over the top, I think it is genuine.

The rest of ESPN...outside of Colin Cowherd (radio show not TV), I really have little use for it anymore.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Must be that I'm coming up on my 25th wedding anniversary, but I tune all the announcer blah-blah out and just watch the ballgame. I've come to prefer EPL-style soccer announcers, i.e. less is more.
    I agree with that sentiment. Sports announcers these days feel obligated to say stuff to let us know how smart they are, as if their worth is based on the number of tidbits they can throw into a regular telecast. Soccer announcers, especially ones calling games in well-established European leagues, tend to focus more on the play on the field because there just isn't enough time for inane comments. Play doesn't stop, so they might get a quick replay to comment on after a goal or a foul, but most times they have to follow the play on the field. US sports announcers seem so conditioned to add color to the broadcast that they'll often go on with some stupid story while ignoring the play on the field.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?