Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Glove Announcements

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Gold Glove Announcements

The AL winners are being announced on this page right now and while I can't argue with three of the four that have been announced so far (Texieira, Polanco, Longoria), I do have a few issues with Jeter winning one. I wouldn't count him as one of the best defensive SS's in the AL but hey, what do I know.

You can refresh that page to see who else wins a GG as they're being announced on ESPN News right now. Congrats to Evan Longoria for winning his first GG this year and to Adam Jones of the Orioles who also won his first GG for his work in CF.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gold Glove Announcements

Franklin Gutierrez is considered to be the best outfielder on the planet (at least according to the Fielding Bible) yet no Gold Glove.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Franklin Gutierrez is considered to be the best outfielder on the planet (at least according to the Fielding Bible) yet no Gold Glove.
    When the voters start getting something right let me know. Until then I won't be surprised.

Gold Glove = Most Popular

Most of these aren't bad picks, though. Longoria, Polanco, Mauer, Ichiro.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

What's worse? Not giving Gutierrez a gold glove or giving McLouth one?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Jeter and Mauer? Seriously? The GG is a joke of an award and goes to the offensive players, plain and simple, almost w/o fail.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Jeter and Mauer? Seriously? The GG is a joke of an award and goes to the offensive players, plain and simple, almost w/o fail.
    Since when is Super Joe not considered a great defender?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Since when is Super Joe not considered a great defender?
    That's what I was wondering. Joe Mauer absolutely deserves a Gold Glove, IMO. He's arguably the best defensive catcher in the game.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I honestly couldn't think of another catcher in the AL more deserving than Mauer this year. Most of the awards seem all right to me but I could have done without Jeter winning and I honestly think Ichiro's status might have negated Guttierez's chance of winning this year. I was a little surprised (but happy) to see Adam Jones win because even though he's a great defender, last season was actually a better one for him in CF.

NL winners are announced tomorrow around 3 PM. Will Brandon make it two in a row?!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

This from Larry Stone:

Just as an aside, I was a Sporting News correspondent for several years in the 1990s when that publication sponsored the Gold Glove awards. It was the job of each correspondent to gather the votes of the coaches and manager of the team he covered -- in my case, the San Francisco Giants.

Let's just say I wasn't impressed with the depth of knowledge of the coaches when it came to evaluating the candidates and coming to a conclusion. They'd pretty much blurt out the name of a guy that they remembered as making some good plays against them (often asking a fellow coach what he thought, and coming to a consensus opinion that way), or pick the player that had the reputation as being the best at his position, even if that reputation was no longer deserved. I'm pretty sure my team wasn't the only one that operated this way, which explains how Rafael Palmeiro was voted Gold Glove first baseman in 1999 despite playing just 28 games at first base. Reputation and name recognition played a huge role in the voting, as I saw it first-hand. Maybe things have gotten better since then.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Maybe things have gotten better since then.
    Or not.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Jeter getting a GG is the biggest joke ever. And I like Jeter a lot.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Jeter actually had a pretty solid year defensively. He really improved his ability to go to his left after spending the offseason training specifically to address that weakness. UZR supports that. It doesn't make him the best defender, but it's a much more defensible suggestion than his previous GG, McClouth's last year, or Jones this year over Gutierrez.

FWIW, here are the UZR values for SS with 500+ innings.

Code:
    Izturis		 10.8
    Andrus		 10.7
    Everett		  8.9
    Aybar		  7.8
    Jeter		  6.6
    Green		  3.9
    Ramirez	  	  2.3
    Scutaro 	  0.9
    Santiago	 -2.5
    Pennington	 -3.3
    A. Cabrera	 -4.3
    Bartlett	 -5.5
    O. Cabrera	-15.3
    Betancourt	-20.5
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Well damn, I stand corrected. I guess I'm so used to seeing the GGs he racked up from ''04-06 where I am confident where he just didn't look all that great with the glove.

Turn Off Ads?