Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny Dorn

4 3.60%
  • Juan Duran

2 1.80%
  • Matt Fairel

1 0.90%
  • Josh Fellhauer

2 1.80%
  • Billy Hamilton

10 9.01%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

2 1.80%
  • Sam Lecure

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

32 28.83%
  • Devin Mesoraco

5 4.50%
  • Logan Ondrusek

1 0.90%
  • Miguel Rojas

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

1 0.90%
  • Juan Silva

2 1.80%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

39 35.14%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

3 2.70%
  • Chris Valaika

7 6.31%
  • other - name him

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

Donnie Joseph is a top 10 prospect in this system, but I can't seem to get my man Matt Maloney across the finish line. So DJ will have to wait.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    What evidence do we have that Billy will ever throw to 1B any better than Encarnacion?
    Pretty good question, but I would go with that he led the GCL in fielding percentage and scouting reports are quite good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Billy Hamilton. Huge upside and already a plus defender at shortstop goes a long way for me.
    More upside than Duran?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    More upside than Duran?
    Probably similar upside, but Hamilton is a shortstop while Duran is a rightfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Probably similar upside, but Hamilton is a shortstop while Duran is a rightfielder.
    They're both very raw at their positions. They could easily be moved to different positions.

Curious as to what makes Silva's upside better than that of Hamilton?
    I think they both have a chance to be plus defenders. Both seem to have a good arm and athleticism. Where I like Silva's upside is that I think he has (from reports) a better, compact swing and I feel like he will have a better bat than Hamilton. I liked the Hamilton pick, but I've been in love with the Silva pick since it was made.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think they both have a chance to be plus defenders. Both seem to have a good arm and athleticism. Where I like Silva's upside is that I think he has (from reports) a better, compact swing and I feel like he will have a better bat than Hamilton. I liked the Hamilton pick, but I've been in love with the Silva pick since it was made.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Silva... but the upside isn't quite the same. Silva likely profiles as a corner outfielder while Hamilton looks to be a shortstop. I am with you on Silva having the potentially better bat. Love his swing plane and well, the numbers speak for themselves so far (although he is going to need to cut the K rate). But Hamilton is the best overall athlete in the system and profiles to play shortstop at a high level. Its tough to have a corner outfielder top that upside.

I'm going with Maloney here. Upside may not be that high, but he is a major league player that can contribute and in a pitcher's park, he could be quite useful.

But Hamilton is the best overall athlete in the system
    That's saying something with a guy like Yorman Rodriguez in the system.

Don't get me wrong, I love Silva... but the upside isn't quite the same. Silva likely profiles as a corner outfielder while Hamilton looks to be a shortstop. I am with you on Silva having the potentially better bat. Love his swing plane and well, the numbers speak for themselves so far (although he is going to need to cut the K rate). But Hamilton is the best overall athlete in the system and profiles to play shortstop at a high level. Its tough to have a corner outfielder top that upside.
    It seems that relative to position, Hamilton might have better value in that sense. And while I should definitely be taking position into account, I think I'm taking more of a generic approach to the comparison.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Soto again...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    That's saying something with a guy like Yorman Rodriguez in the system.
    Yep. I love the polished college players like Alonso, Frazier, Heisey, and Leake, but I'm also a big fan of stockpiling the raw but incredibly athletic prospects like Yorman Rodriguez and Billy Hamilton. And we can't forget about Juan Duran, yeah, he had an awful 2009 season but we need to remember that he would only be a senior in high school if he had grown up in the United States. A couple others worth watching are SS Junior Arias, who is only 17 years old, and after having a bad first month rebounded to post a .736 OPS in July and a .853 OPS in August. The other one is Humberto Valor, the shortstop the Reds signed out of Venezuela back in July. He's supposed to have very good tools.

Top ten college hitters of the 2000's:

10. Yonder Alonso, Miami (Fla.)

The skinny. If not for a man named Buster Posey, Yonder Alonso would’ve been my sure pick for National Player of the Year two seasons ago. Alonso had an outstanding career at Miami and was one of the nation’s most feared sluggers for three seasons. As a freshman, Alonso batted .295 with 18 doubles, 10 homers and 69 RBIs. He also slugged .492 and had a .373 on-base percentage. As a sophomore, Alonso batted .376 with 13 doubles, a triple, 18 homers and 74 RBIs. Then, as a junior, he capped off a great career by hitting .370 with 12 doubles, a home run, 24 homers and 72 RBIs. He also slugged .777 and had a .534 on-base percentage. Alonso also could be a great pro someday.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basebal...yhoo&type=lgns

Pretty good question, but I would go with that he led the GCL in fielding percentage and scouting reports are quite good on him.
    Yes, I've seen the GCL numbers. Billy was the best of a bad bunch. What do the reports say specifically about his throwing accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Yes, I've seen the GCL numbers. Billy was the best of a bad bunch. What do the reports say specifically about his throwing accuracy?
    I have never seen it brought up, which is a good sign.

Turn Off Ads?