Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cedric Benson: MVP?

Cedric Benson: MVP?

The usual suspects are going to be in the mix: Favre, Rothlisberger, Manning (Peyton), Brady and now Brees. But Benson should definitely be in the mix. They improved last year after a bad start when he started getting regular playing time and now with Carson back, he's pounding the ball down everyone's throat. Having a healthy Palmer is a good thing but having a running back that runs as well as Benson is extremely important. He probably won't win because Cincinnati is a smaller market and doesn't get the national attention the others do but I think he'd be an excellent choice.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cedric Benson: MVP?

I would find it impossible that a Bengal will ever win the MVP based on how voting is ran these days.

Ever see Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson rush the football? Watch them play. Redefine your definition of a valuable running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Ever see Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson rush the football? Watch them play. Redefine your definition of a valuable running back.
    Peterson and Johnson are both great running backs, no question. But I think Benson is more important to his team. The Bengals without Cedric Benson are HORRIBLE at running the ball. See last year, Chris Perry. The Vikings have Chester Taylor backing up Peterson. And even though Peterson is the best back in the league, and I don't consider it to be close, if he went down tomorrow, they'd be fine. Same with Johnson in Tennessee. While Lendale White isn't Chester Taylor, he's a very good running back who takes some heat off of Johnson, and can step in if Johnson gets hurt.

Benson doesn't have ANYONE to take carries from him and to give him a rest, and if he went down tomorrow, you could forget about the Bengals running game. It'd be one of the worst in the league instantly IMO.

Benson's in the mix, but he's not even close. In fact, I'd almost say Palmer is the team MVP this year with his improved play.

With all that said, Peyton Manning, IMO, is the runaway choice for MVP right now.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

While I'm not sure about the whole league, Benson is definitely the team MVP; the only other guy I would've considered is Odom but he's now injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    While I'm not sure about the whole league, Benson is definitely the team MVP; the only other guy I would've considered is Odom but he's now injured.

I'm not saying this player should even be in consideration for MVP, because he shouldn't. But a guy who has really made a difference for this team is Clark Harris. The special teams are once again confident in their long snapper and I don't cringe every time we line up for a kick. Those points make a big difference.

I really like Ced, but I have to say that Carson Palmer is the team MVP right now. He has been absolutely clutch. And while Benson is hard to replace, we would be doomed if O'Sullivan or Jordan Palmer were playing QB.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I really like Ced, but I have to say that Carson Palmer is the team MVP right now. He has been absolutely clutch. And while Benson is hard to replace, we would be doomed if O'Sullivan or Jordan Palmer were playing QB.
    Anyone remember last year? That is what this team would look like without Carson. Benson deserves praise as well but the primary difference between last year's debacle and this years success is that Palmer is back and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Anyone remember last year? That is what this team would look like without Carson. Benson deserves praise as well but the primary difference between last year's debacle and this years success is that Palmer is back and healthy.
    Exactly. HB may be the most important position in fantasy football, but QB is the most important position in NFL football.

Palmer isnt even that good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    And how did you arrive at this conclusion? Was it the passer rating that ties him with Eli Manning, or the 3 fourth quarter comeback wins (4 if not for a fluke against Denver)? Or perhaps his improved mobility, which led directly to key scores over Cleveland and Chicago? Then again, maybe it was the fact that the Bengals offense leads the NFL in Red Zone TD efficiency. I've heard others say he is not that great this year, but I'm not buying. This is the best he has ever played and he brings a swagger to the huddle that has never been there. His team mates always believe they can win with him at the helm, and they usually do.

Please tell me that post was a joke. Outside of Manning, Brady and possibly Brees, there's no one I would rather have running The Bengals offense. Absolutely no one.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    And how did you arrive at this conclusion? Was it the passer rating that ties him with Eli Manning, or the 3 fourth quarter comeback wins (4 if not for a fluke against Denver)? Or perhaps his improved mobility, which led directly to key scores over Cleveland and Chicago? Then again, maybe it was the fact that the Bengals offense leads the NFL in Red Zone TD efficiency. I've heard others say he is not that great this year, but I'm not buying. This is the best he has ever played and he brings a swagger to the huddle that has never been there. His team mates always believe they can win with him at the helm, and they usually do.
    Being tied with Eli Manning is a good thing?

Palmer is middle of the road in every category other than TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Please tell me that post was a joke. Outside of Manning, Brady and possibly Brees, there's no one I would rather have running The Bengals offense. Absolutely no one.
    Just because Palmer has the ability to be as good as those guys doesnt mean hes playing at that level. He's been playing at a average level all year and thats including a game against the bears that likely wont happen again the rest of the year.

Being tied with Eli Manning is a good thing?

Palmer is middle of the road in every category other than TDs.
    Palmer is near the top of the pile in the category that Big Ben and Eli Manning (two QBs I would gladly take, regardless of stats yet are repeatedly called over rated) also excel in: wins. This isn't baseball where stats really do tell the tale for the most part. Intangibles are much more important at QB than any other position in sports. In my opinion he has "it," and my opinion is backed up by the standings and the fact that he has so consistently led his offense to key scores in the 4th quarter this season.

Turn Off Ads?