Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cedric Benson: MVP?

Re: Cedric Benson: MVP?

The Bengals are 6-2 because just about at every position they are good. QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB and ST. How about that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Bengals are 6-2 because just about at every position they are good. QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB and ST. How about that?
    Now that I can absolutely agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Palmer isnt even that good this year.
    Winning several games in the last seconds isn't good?

Wins = Great QB

Stats mean nothing

Glad we cleared that up for me.
    You're putting words in my mouth now. I never said that.

I pointed out that despite starting the season with a patchwork line that is just recently starting to come together; AND sitting out most of last year, Carson is still putting up a solid season in multiple statistical categories, and I didn't really mention wins at all as one of them.

I think you disqualified yourself from this debate when you mentioned Palmer in the same breath as Kyle Orton. If you think they're even remotely similar, you don't need to talk football with anyone. Ever.

I don't know what it is you've got against Carson, because none of the arguments you are making are based in any type of fact. In fact, the only real argument you are making is that "he's not good". You aren't backing it up at all. Are you a Steeler fan or something?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Winning several games in the last seconds isn't good?

I think my troll meter just pegged.

If I were giving Palmer a grade so far this season it would be a B. I think just recently has he finally rounded into form, so I do agree somewhat with GIDP in that Palmer hasn't had a good year so far up to his standards.

Look he wasn't ready for the Denver game and it showed. If Palmer plays OK the Bengals win that game. He gave away 14 points in the Packers game. He gave away another pick 6 against the Ravens. It looks like he finally started to click on all cylinders over the past few weeks. I think Palmer is getting better with each progressive start, and he should due to the time he missed last year as well as in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If I were giving Palmer a grade so far this season it would be a B. I think just recently has he finally rounded into form, so I do agree somewhat with GIDP in that Palmer hasn't had a good year so far up to his standards.

Look he wasn't ready for the Denver game and it showed. If Palmer plays OK the Bengals win that game. He gave away 14 points in the Packers game. He gave away another pick 6 against the Ravens. It looks like he finally started to click on all cylinders over the past few weeks. I think Palmer is getting better with each progressive start, and he should due to the time he missed last year as well as in the preseason.
    Exactly.

Palmer isn't sucking but to say hes being great is crazy. He was anything but good against Denver, and until the Bears game and the Ravens game he was very average. Lucky for us he has the ability to be very good but at the moment he hasn't exactly shown it. Remember guys this all came off MVP debate.

CP over his last 4 starts - 105.3 QB Rating. Let the season play out.

Exactly.

Palmer isn't sucking but to say hes being great is crazy. He was anything but good against Denver, and until the Bears game and the Ravens game he was very average. Lucky for us he has the ability to be very good but at the moment he hasn't exactly shown it. Remember guys this all came off MVP debate.
    I wasn't trying to bash you in my one post. I would agree with you that Carson, overall, hasn't been great this season.

However, with that being said, if Palmer wasn't at QB, we would likely be 2-6, if not worse. Even with his struggles at times, he's gotten the job done.

T.J. being subtracted from the offense was huge, the line took time to gel, several factors come into play. But I think he's going to have a HUGE statistical second half, and hopefully the wins continue to rack up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    CP over his last 4 starts - 105.3 QB Rating. Let the season play out.
    Right now Carson Palmer is probably playing the best football of his career. His numbers are slightly down because of the emphasis on the running game. The game he played against the Bears may have been the best of his career. He has looked more mobile in the pocket. He is moving better and isn't a statue.

I guess my point is that in the beginning of the season Carson wasn't up to his form. He wasn't playing at the high level we are all used to. They scored 7 points against the Broncos. He kept the Pack in the game throwing a pick 6 and an int returned inside the 10. The Ravens weren't able to muster anything on offense in their first meeting but Palmer gave up a pick 6 to Reed which put them in the lead late in the game.

Palmer has been nails late in the football game, which is a huge plus for this football team. He should have had the game winning drive against the Broncos as well. The Bengals were moving the ball trying to come back against the Texans as well, but their TE's couldn't hold onto the ball. I just think that Palmer's play over the first 3 or so weeks of the season was a little inconsistent. In reality that is to be expected due to his long layoff and his 1 game preseason.

Looking back over the first 8 weeks of the season, Benson is my Bengals MVP. Going forward, if the Bengals are going to make a run into the Playoffs, Palmer will have to be the team's MVP.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Palmer isnt even that good this year.
    You say that like you think he should be playing better than he has. He didn't play much of last season, what about 16 quarters. Missed the entire preseason with an ankle injury, came into the season playing with that ankle injury for 2-3 weeks and no time with his WR's to establish timing. Had an offensive line that needed to gel, has 4 players on offense in the top 20 in dropped passes and now the last several games has had to play with only one good hand. Give those circumstances to Peyton, to Brady, to Brees and see if they can play any better than he has to this point 6-2 4-0 inside his own division, 4 late game winning drives and solid statistical numbers despite the fact we are running the ball more and playing a more conservative overall offensive game as a team strategy. So to say he hasn't been good is one way to put it I guess but I'd think a Bengal fan might argue that he is playing brilliantly given the issues he's had to work thru/with.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Palmer's early season stats weren't great, but I'd put that on being rusty and also having to deal with a lot of drops by guys like Lavernues Coles and Dan Coates. However, the key to those early season wins were that Palmer was able to put the team on his back with the game on the line, march down the field, and score the winning points. There are few QBs who can do that consistently. The fact that Palmer has done it numerous times already this season says a lot about his character as a team leader.

I'd agree with the sentiment that the play on the Offensive Line has a lot to do with things too. This is an OL I didn't have a lot of expectations for, being that they had to make some changes in the offseason. Benson and Palmer have both benefited from improved play on the line.

And then of course there is the defense. Other than the Cleveland and Houston games, the Defense has been great. It's so refreshing to watch a Bengals game and not be in constant worry that the other team has a chance no matter how many points Palmer and Co. score. Part of the reason Palmer and the Offense were able to score the winning points even with some lackluster play early in the season is because the D kept them in the game. They have two great corners who can cover top receivers, a linebacking corps featuring two young studs and seasoned (and intelligent) vet, and a DL that's finally not getting pushed around by the other team. Add to that the run-stopping power of Crocker and Williams at safety and this is a good D. Not only that but it's got some depth too! Losing Odom hurt, but they're still doing great without him.

I'd say right now I'd probably give the MVP to the defense as a unit.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'd say right now I'd probably give the MVP to the defense as a unit.

I think that if the Bengals were without either one of Palmer or Benson they'd be in a world of hurt on offense.

Like Yachtzee said, the defense has been MVP and has carried the team when the offense sputtered. And the OL has been the unsung heroes.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?