Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andre Agassi: Open

Andre Agassi: Open

I see Agassi has taken a lot of grief for his book detailing the use of Chrystal Meth 10 years ago and for other things he admitted to in it.

Maybe I'm off but what is so bad about what he admitted? I mean I'm not advocating drug use but why are people upset at him admitting to it now?

How is his situation any different than Josh Hamilton?(Guy uses drugs foolishly, overcomes addiction, goes on to be one of the great tennis players of all time.)

The real story which is being overlooked is how the ATP just blindly accepted his awful lie. Of course they wouldn't have done that if Agassi wasn't a matinee idol but they do it for him? Shameful.

I also see people griping that he said he hated tennis when it made him all the money and riches. I don't consider him ungrateful for all of his riches, and given what he's given back, I don't think he's just been a spoiled baby. But he hated playing tennis, and it sounds like he hated being the center of attention.
    Do you think all big time lawyers love the law and that's why they work 80 hours a week, or do they love the paycheck. How is this any different?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Andre Agassi: Open

I think one of the problems people have with him is that he's using all this stuff to sell his book. Much like when Pete Rose came out with his latest book and finally admitted he bet on baseball after denying it for all those years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I suppose, though as opposed to Pete whom everyone knew had done it, Agassi's secret wasn't even a rumor of a rumor.

Just curious, aside from the release he probably felt, how much money would you have to be paid to bare your darkest secrets?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think one of the problems people have with him is that he's using all this stuff to sell his book. Much like when Pete Rose came out with his latest book and finally admitted he bet on baseball after denying it for all those years.
    I dont think Andre aggasi needs money like pete does

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont think Andre aggasi needs money like pete does
    It's rarely about "need".

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Agassi made 100 million over his career- I think he's fine.

He has said that if were ever to do a memoir, he wanted everything in there, good and bad.

And truthfully- how do you talk about going from number one to #140 without talking what was behind it?

I'm just over the old, "he just wants to make a buck on the book," especially coming from the capitalist crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's rarely about "need".

This.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm just over the old, "he just wants to make a buck on the book," especially coming from the capitalist crowd.
    The capitalist crowd??

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The capitalist crowd??
    Just seems like if you don't like the message, the author is only trying to make a buck.

I saw the 60 minutes interview. He was very open and honest. He has his own school in Las Vegas K-12, the Andre Agassi Academy. He's happily married to a former tennis pro...Steffi Graf. They have money to burn. This book was not about money. He just wanted to tell the truth, to clear his conscience. He did not have to tell ANYONE about the drug use, it happened 10 years ago. I respect him for coming clean and telling the truth.

Martina Navratilova showed her ignorance when she compaired him to Mark McGwire. Uh..Andre took a proformance inhibitor not a proformance enhancer...big difference.
    Last edited by George Foster; 11-10-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post

Martina Navratilova showed her iggnorance
    wasnt surprised by this one

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    wasnt surprised by this one
    My dog hit the computer before I finished typing...it was corrected BEFORE your smart alec post...then I finished typing...nice try.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

My dog hit the computer before I finished typing...it was corrected BEFORE your smart alec post...then I finished typing...nice try.
    i didnt mean it like you thought i did

I was talking about Martina showing her ignorance

I saw the 60 minutes interview. He was very open and honest. He has his own school in Las Vegas K-12, the Andre Agassi Academy. He's happily married to a former tennis pro...Steffi Graf. They have money to burn. This book was not about money. He just wanted to tell the truth, to clear his conscience. He did not have to tell ANYONE about the drug use, it happened 10 years ago. I respect him for coming clean and telling the truth.
    Then I'm sure he's giving all the proceeds of that book to charity, right?

I don't necessarily think it's all about the money. Of course if you want to write a book you certainly want as many people as possible to buy it. I think part of it is because he wants the attention.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Then I'm sure he's giving all the proceeds of that book to charity, right?

I don't necessarily think it's all about the money. Of course if you want to write a book you certainly want as many people as possible to buy it. I think part of it is because he wants the attention.
    Every person who writes a book about themselves is probably looking for attention

Turn Off Ads?