Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals at Steelers (11/15/09)

Bengals at Steelers (11/15/09)

We have a thread running about Bengals-Steelers history, but since that may be one that we will want to revive in the future, let's start a new thread pertaining to this Sunday's game, in particular.

Just a couple articles to get the conversation started:

Bengals should heed, Steelers are looking super

By Alan Robinson, Associated Press
    Updated 8:12 AM Wednesday, November 11, 2009

PITTSBURGH — At the same time the Colts and Patriots are looking ahead to their pivotal AFC game in Indianapolis on Sunday night, Nov. 15, they might be tempted to peek over their shoulders at the Steelers.

With a look of worry, too. The Super Bowl champions are gaining on them.

Winners of five in a row, the Steelers are looking again like a team no one would willingly play in January. Or February.

The Denver Broncos might pass along this message to the Cincinnati Bengals: The Steelers aren't much fun in November, either.

The Steelers (6-2) appear to have long since moved past their last-minute losses to the Bears and Bengals that occurred with star safety Troy Polamalu injured and out. Their defense-driven 28-10 victory in Denver on Monday night put them in position to take over sole possession of the AFC North lead if they beat Cincinnati (6-2) on Sunday.

In their last two games, the Steelers have been dominant defensively and effective offensively in defeating two teams that were unbeaten only a couple of weeks ago, the Vikings (7-1) and the Broncos (6-2).

"We pride ourselves on being a great, dominant road team," said wide receiver Hines Ward.

What effectively is a three-game swing resulting from a single afternoon also makes Sunday's AFC North game vitally important to both the Bengals and Steelers.

If the Steelers win, they would lead the Bengals by one game and own plenty of momentum, plus a soft closing schedule. Should the Bengals win, they would essentially lead by two games because they would own the tiebreaker based on beating the Steelers twice.

Big games between the Bengals and Steelers have been rare since the 1980s, but this is clearly one of them.
    Also these nuggets from a guy at Sports Illustrated, who says the Steelers will go undefeated the rest of the season to finish 14-2, and then go 3-0 in the playoffs to finish 17-2 and Super Bowl Champions. That would have them winning their last 16 games after the 1-2 start.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

6. The Steelers will not lose another regular-season game. The belief among personnel people is you had better beat the Steelers early in the season because they get stronger as the year progresses. Sure enough, the defending Super Bowl champions have won five in a row and look to be finding their rhythm. More eye-opening: The Bengals are the only team left on Pittsburgh's schedule with a winning record. Scary.

10. Pittsburgh will win the Super Bowl.
    The Steelers are only two field goals away from being undefeated, and no one is really talking about them. Coach Mike Tomlin has to love that. Anyway, I have Pittsburgh, Indy, New England and Denver as my division winners, with San Diego and Cincinnati as the wild cards. Pittsburgh beats San Diego in the conference final. In the NFC I have New Orleans, Arizona, Minnesota and Philadelphia as division winners, with Dallas and Atlanta as the wild cards. New Orleans beats Minnesota in the conference final. Pittsburgh defeats New Orleans 27-24 for its second consecutive Lombardi Trophy.
    Is there any reason to play the game Sunday?
    Last edited by macro; 11-13-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals at Steelers (11/15/09)

Yeah, pretty much everyone is picking the Steelers. I would pick them too if I had to pick, but I don't think it's a no-brainer. The Bengals are more than capable of winning this game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Should be an interesting ball game. The Bengals have shown they are for real, but this game will show the degree of real they actually are.

Bengals O needs to have time of possession on their side to keep the D from getting too fatigued. Roethlisberger shines in the late stages of close games against tired defenses.

Pay attention to the open sky

I'm not a Bengals fan but I really can't stand the Steelers. I'm rooting for you guys, big time.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Man, the media is too much some times. The articles above slobber all over The Steelers and then go on to say "and no one's really talking about them."

Are you serious? No one's talking about the team that the media is fawning all over and making sound as if the Bengals might as well forfeit?

Good grief.
    Last edited by The Operator; 11-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.

I see that Pittsburgh and Notre Dame are playing at Heinz field tomorrow night, so that cow pasture they call a field up there is probably going to be in worse shape than normal.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

As a fan, I'm always nervous to play The Steelers.

But for the first time, I think I can say with confidence that The Bengals aren't scared of them any more. Even in 2005, I think they were intimidated by The Steelers. But this team, all grown up, I don't think that's the case.

They are pretty evenly matched so it's gonna come down to who has the better game plan and not making costly mistakes. If they can get out to a lead and force Roethlisberger to make ill-advised throws, it could be a good game. But it could just as easily go the other way.

21-20 Bengals

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The Steelers would have loss #3 were it not for Brett Favre handing the game to them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    As a fan, I'm always nervous to play The Steelers.

But for the first time, I think I can say with confidence that The Bengals aren't scared of them any more. Even in 2005, I think they were intimidated by The Steelers. But this team, all grown up, I don't think that's the case.
    But even that 2005 team went into Heinz Field and beat the eventual Super Bowl champions. I agree that this year's team is not intimidated.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Steelers would have loss #3 were it not for Brett Favre handing the game to them.
    Let's not forget the two short field goals (37 yards and 31 yards) the Titans kicker missed (one was actually blocked) in the season opener at Pittsburgh. That game ended up going into OT, so either of those FGs would have put them at 4-4 on the season and given them an 0-3 start.

Don't get me wrong, I'll readily admit that the Bengals have won some games that could have easily went the other way, but the national media seems to have us believe that the Steelers have steamrolled over everyone, which is not the case.
    Last edited by macro; 11-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    But even that 2005 team went into Heinz Field and beat the eventual Super Bowl champions. I agree that this year's team is not intimidated.
    Very true, which is another reason why I'm not sweating this game too much. For whatever reason, they actually have fared better in Pittsburgh the last few years than when facing them at home. It defies logic, but it's happened never the less.

Don't get me wrong, I'll readily admit that the Bengals have won some games that could have easily went the other way, but the national media seems to have us believe that the Steelers have steamrolled over everyone, which is not the case.
    That's the media for you. I really don't get it either. They're acting like eventually pulling away from a VERY overrated Denver team means that The Steelers just can't be beat. Like I said in another thread, a Kyle Orton-led offense will not win consistently against teams with good defense. He just doesn't stand a chance when he has to stretch the field. I have a feeling they'll keep losing while SD takes that division.

That could still be bad for us though, if Denver remains in the wild card hunt and we're trying for one too, seeing as they have the tie breaker. I still can't believe they lost to The Broncos, even with the fluke play. If The Bengals played Denver this weekend, it wouldn't even be close.

But, alas, all Pittsburgh has to do is go on any kind of hot streak, and suddenly the media can't get over them. You'd think The Bengals were a pop warner team the way most of the predictions are going.

Hopefully Marvin and his team are aware of just how little respect they are getting going into this game and use it as a motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Very true, which is another reason why I'm not sweating this game too much. For whatever reason, they actually have fared better in Pittsburgh the last few years than when facing them at home. It defies logic, but it's happened never the less.

That's the media for you. I really don't get it either. They're acting like eventually pulling away from a VERY overrated Denver team means that The Steelers just can't be beat. Like I said in another thread, a Kyle Orton-led offense will not win consistently against teams with good defense. He just doesn't stand a chance when he has to stretch the field. I have a feeling they'll keep losing while SD takes that division.

That could still be bad for us though, if Denver remains in the wild card hunt and we're trying for one too, seeing as they have the tie breaker. I still can't believe they lost to The Broncos, even with the fluke play. If The Bengals played Denver this weekend, it wouldn't even be close.

But, alas, all Pittsburgh has to do is go on any kind of hot streak, and suddenly the media can't get over them. You'd think The Bengals were a pop warner team the way most of the predictions are going.

Hopefully Marvin and his team are aware of just how little respect they are getting going into this game and use it as a motivator.
    I don't see it as disrespect. I think the Bengals are getting plenty of respect from the national media, I haven't read or heard anyone say it's going to be a blowout yet. Sportsline.com had like 5 of their 6 experts pick the Bengals to cover the spread. Most people are picking Pittsburgh to win, as they very well should. They are the defending champs, they are at home, and in terms of the division, they need this game more than we do.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I believe the Steelers are the better team currently but I think it's relatively close and as MWM pointed out we are fully capable of winning this game. I do think that even though it's thought the Steelers need it worse I don't believe it because I don't think we end up with identical records. Their schedule is a cake walk for them and ours has a few potential roadblocks like SD and Minnesota both on the road in difficult environments. Although I do suspect Pittsburgh will lose a game they shouldn't they won't lose 5 games maybe not even 4 and if we lose this one we have to beat everyone else but 1 and I just don't know we are at that level yet.

However Pittsburgh will be fired up over the Bengals getting any recognition for beating them in a game they feel they should have won (if not for Sweeds drop) and talk of sweeping the division when they haven't been swept yet. I think Pittsburgh has the edge so I fully expect them to win a hard hitting semi-close game say 24-16. But I believe that will be the impetus this team needs to find that next level, in other words it will serve as a constant reminder that we need to keep improving.

Of course I think we can run the football on them in this game without Aaron Smith in the game and if Bratkowski could keep from ruining a potential advantage with the burning desire to get pass happy. And if we can run the football on them we have it half licked as then we'd just have to find the ability to get Ben on the ground which is no easy task. However one thing we can do is get out in front early by 10 or more points and then their Offensive coordinator may get pass happy as he is of the same ilk as Brat. Make them one dimensional by pressuring their coordinator.

I say come out right away with play action and go deep (because chances are we will start with the ball) out of a formation Polamalu hasn't seen yet. Loosen up that secondary right away and keep Polamalu guessing a bit with some different stuff but run the crap out of the ball and right at him. If you do that you have a chance of getting an o-lineman on him without Aaron Smith and Kirschke in the game. That said their other starting DE Keisel is still solid against the run and they have Ziggy Hood who they may use in pass rush plays from that spot. I say run that ball do a little play action here and there and the hard part will be getting Ben on the ground, good luck with that. If he gets loose it's gonna get ugly in a hurry because his WR's get serious seperation when that happens and they also do a good job of blocking downfield.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm hoping for two things:

1) A Bengals victory
    2) Hines Ward gets blown-up
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I believe the Steelers are the better team currently but I think it's relatively close and as MWM pointed out we are fully capable of winning this game. I do think that even though it's thought the Steelers need it worse I don't believe it because I don't think we end up with identical records. Their schedule is a cake walk for them and ours has a few potential roadblocks like SD and Minnesota both on the road in difficult environments. Although I do suspect Pittsburgh will lose a game they shouldn't they won't lose 5 games maybe not even 4 and if we lose this one we have to beat everyone else but 1 and I just don't know we are at that level yet.

However Pittsburgh will be fired up over the Bengals getting any recognition for beating them in a game they feel they should have won (if not for Sweeds drop) and talk of sweeping the division when they haven't been swept yet. I think Pittsburgh has the edge so I fully expect them to win a hard hitting semi-close game say 24-16. But I believe that will be the impetus this team needs to find that next level, in other words it will serve as a constant reminder that we need to keep improving.

Of course I think we can run the football on them in this game without Aaron Smith in the game and if Bratkowski could keep from ruining a potential advantage with the burning desire to get pass happy. And if we can run the football on them we have it half licked as then we'd just have to find the ability to get Ben on the ground which is no easy task. However one thing we can do is get out in front early by 10 or more points and then their Offensive coordinator may get pass happy as he is of the same ilk as Brat. Make them one dimensional by pressuring their coordinator.

I say come out right away with play action and go deep (because chances are we will start with the ball) out of a formation Polamalu hasn't seen yet. Loosen up that secondary right away and keep Polamalu guessing a bit with some different stuff but run the crap out of the ball and right at him. If you do that you have a chance of getting an o-lineman on him without Aaron Smith and Kirschke in the game. That said their other starting DE Keisel is still solid against the run and they have Ziggy Hood who they may use in pass rush plays from that spot. I say run that ball do a little play action here and there and the hard part will be getting Ben on the ground, good luck with that. If he gets loose it's gonna get ugly in a hurry because his WR's get serious seperation when that happens and they also do a good job of blocking downfield.
    I think the Bengals and Steelers are evenly matched this year. If it weren't for Bengals history, I think many would say that the Bengals are the better team when push comes to shove. The Steelers have a more seasoned D, but I don't think they are clearly better than us in any area of their team, unit by unit, position by position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I do think that even though it's thought the Steelers need it worse I don't believe it because I don't think we end up with identical records. Their schedule is a cake walk for them and ours has a few potential roadblocks like SD and Minnesota both on the road in difficult environments. Although I do suspect Pittsburgh will lose a game they shouldn't they won't lose 5 games maybe not even 4 and if we lose this one we have to beat everyone else but 1 and I just don't know we are at that level yet.
    That's what I've been thinking. Although the Trotter article I quoted above irks me, he almost has a point about Pittsburgh finishing the regular season undefeated. Other than two games with Baltimore, they should be expected to win the rest of their games. So if they beat the Bengals and split with Baltimore, they end up 13-3. Cincinnati would then have to run the table to also finish 13-3.

Even if the Steelers slip up and lose two more, they'd still be 12-4, so the Bengals could only lose one more game the rest of the way to win the division. I'll be honest; I think Pittsburgh sews up the division with a win tomorrow. But this is the NFL, and strange things happen. Even the invincible Pittsburgh Steelers are human, and capable of laying an egg or two along the way.

The Bengals primary rival for a playoff spot this season may not be Pittsburgh, at all, however. Instead, it may be the wildcard contenders. I think this team is just as good (if not better) on the road than it is at home, so being a wildcard instead of division champion may not be the worst thing in the world.
    Last edited by macro; 11-14-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Turn Off Ads?