Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Bengals at Steelers (11/15/09)

Re: Bengals at Steelers (11/15/09)

So, after a huge win by Cincinnati against the mighty Steelers you'd think the press coverage would be about how this team is different. You'd think almost all the coverage would be positive. Not in Gregg Doyel's world.

I don't know much about the guy's reporting before today, but wow. Talk about making yourself bigger than the story. That was a hack piece and a half IMHO. Chad OchoCinco hasn't exactly been the model team mate but this is just a reporter digging for something. Yeah, of course Chad was frustrated and upset. He should've been. That doesn't mean he didn't care about the outcome of the game from a team standpoint. Thats just bad journalism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No doubt Doyel's a hack. I'm not sure there is a #1 receiver on any team that doesn't think the ball should go to him every play. I'm not sure there's any #1 receiver who doesn't let the QB know that he was open every play.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I was honestly shocked that cbssports let such a bitter and spiteful piece be posted. How does this guy still have a job? There was a comment below the article that pretty much sums it up:

Sounds to me like you tried to bait him and he told you to get lost.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    On that last drive the Bengals were not worried about the clock. They moved the ball down the field and put points on the board. The old Bengals would have tried to work the clock down.
    I agree with you, but I also think they did have clock in the back of their mind. They took average field position, helped by an idiotic penalty of the Steelers, and turned it into points, but also wound the clock down past the 2 minute warning and forced the Steelers to use 2 TO's.

On the 3rd and 4 right before the 2 minute warning I loved the play call. Granted a first down and TD would have been great, but it put the time in the Bengals favor. They added a Shane FG to put the lead to 6 while making sure the clock was under 2 min. With a good D it allows you to play conservative.
    On the Steelers last possession the old Bengals would have gone into the Prevent Defense and allowed the Steelers to run 12 yard sideline routes one after another. The new Bengals kept doing what they had done all day -- pressure the quarterback and cover the receivers tightly.
    Hall and Joseph are very good cover corners and Trent is coming into his own as a nickle corner. I think the defensive calling was aggressive on the last possession, but the Bengals front 4 also got some push. That was huge all game long. Top that off with the Bengals knocking down passes when they didn't get to the QB, something the Bengals haven't done, ever.

It is also nice to see Michael Johnson make some plays from the DE position. He has amazing raw speed and he just blew by the tackle on the Steelers last possession. Its nice to see Big Ben get happy feet and throw bad passes.

I think they are actually learning how to win. Closing out a win against a good team is very difficult and the Bengals have blown many a late lead over the years. They seem to have more of a killer instinct this year.
    I couldn't agree more. A lot of it has to do with defense. When you have a good, aggressive defense that has the ability to make plays, it makes the end of the games a lot easier. This is a defense built to play in December and January, something that hasn't happened in years.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    So, after a huge win by Cincinnati against the mighty Steelers you'd think the press coverage would be about how this team is different. You'd think almost all the coverage would be positive. Not in Gregg Doyel's world.

I don't know much about the guy's reporting before today, but wow. Talk about making yourself bigger than the story. That was a hack piece and a half IMHO. Chad OchoCinco hasn't exactly been the model team mate but this is just a reporter digging for something. Yeah, of course Chad was frustrated and upset. He should've been. That doesn't mean he didn't care about the outcome of the game from a team standpoint. Thats just bad journalism.
    He seems like a better fit for a Hollywood reporting gig.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Gregg Doyel is a tool and I'm glad people in the comments area called him out on his shoddy and craptastic 'reporting skills'. Geesh, get a clue idiot. :thumbdown

That was a GREAT win yesterday and the thing that makes it even greater is how the team has pretty much taken the win, savored some happy moments about it, and finally just put it in their back pocket and moved their focus on to their next opponent.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Pay no attention to what you read from Doyel. He's a complete jackass that uses his forum in the national media to grind axes. He's a joke of a writer, and sportsline.com is a joke of a website for running him and Mike Freeman out there. They're both a joke.

Funny video featuring Terry Bradshaw. Keep watching - it's not just a clip from the Fox pregame show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xW7EVloJA

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I love Doyel because he trolls people so hard and people never catch on.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

That video is awesome but I wish it had Terry's post game comments at the end where he apparently had to eat a lot of crow, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I remember when Doyel worked with Mo on 1530 Homer. It didn't last long for obvious reasons.

I was running Lance's show at the time, when he filled in, and basically got his "audition." I gave the PD positive reviews on how he did...I felt his approach was not the typical approach, and thought it could work. I didn't agree with most of what he said, but I felt I was objective in my thoughts at the time.

It didn't take long for everybody to realize what a joke he was. Him getting fired was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I remember when Doyel worked with Mo on 1530 Homer. It didn't last long for obvious reasons.

I was running Lance's show at the time, when he filled in, and basically got his "audition." I gave the PD positive reviews on how he did...I felt his approach was not the typical approach, and thought it could work. I didn't agree with most of what he said, but I felt I was objective in my thoughts at the time.

It didn't take long for everybody to realize what a joke he was. Him getting fired was justified.
    I think it really was because everyone who works with Mo gets fired.

Seriously hes like the kiss of death if you get paired up with him it seems.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think it's more the company than anything

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

I think it's more the company than anything

Turn Off Ads?