Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Thread: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

  1. #16
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,571

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I realize it's a small sample size, but the Reds played .600 ball at the end of last season. Consider:

    They got rid of a HUGE black hole at 3B (one reason I like the Rolen deal-- it obviously improved the team, no matter the cost).

    They got rid of another in CF with Stubbs.

    They got rid of a third black hole in the fourth starter spot with Bailey, who can now be counted on as a solid starter rather than a gigantic question mark. (Any team in baseball would want Bailey in its rotation at this point, something that certainly couldn't be said before July.)

    Gomes provided an above average bat for LF and Bruce got better in RF. Not only that, Francisco hit well in an extremely short try-out and he and Heisey should provide some depth at the minor league level in case someone goes down.

    True, their fifth and sixth black holes (SS and C) haven't been addressed. Too, it's also possible Gomes is non-tendered and either Dickerson, Heisey, or Francisco end up in LF rather than as bench and/or AAA depth.

    But this isn't the team they played with in the middle of the summer. It's a much better product.
    I agree. I understand the caution about late-season signs of life (in previous years it's been when support grows to keep the interim manager for next year), but these were structural improvements in the team. Also, we aren't remembering just how devastating the injuries were for most of the season. Off the charts, legendary amount of injuries.

    I guess the one caution now is whether the off-season moves will create another set of poor lineup choices that the team eventually has to overcome to right itself.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Absorbent? I think he meant exorbitant (as in very expensive).
    Hey, we're talkin' Fay here. One mistake/typo...I think he really WAS kidnapped by aliens because that's impressive for Mr. Fay. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  4. #18
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I agree. I understand the caution about late-season signs of life (in previous years it's been when support grows to keep the interim manager for next year), but these were structural improvements in the team.
    Playing the Pirates and some other losers a bunch of times in the final stretch didn't hurt either.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  5. #19
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Playing the Pirates and some other losers a bunch of times in the final stretch didn't hurt either.
    And the Cardinals, Cubs, Rockies and Marlins. But don't let the facts get in the way.
    Last edited by Chip R; 11-16-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #20
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,874

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And the Cardinals, Cubs, Rockies and Marlins. But don't let the facts get in the way.
    Don't those facts include a 4 game beatdown of the Reds by the Rockies?

    We've read this script before; I'm throwing it back on the slush pile.

  7. #21
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,759

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This kind of stuff is the exact reason why my mouth fell open when the Rolen trade was made. Not to beat a dead horse but they had to know then that the budget for 2010 was tight. They had to know then that Rolen could have been picked up cheaper in the winter of 2009 than in the summer of 2009. If trades are made to save $5 million or so then you have to wonder about Walt and Bob even more than you already do taking into account that trade.
    Yep. Scott Rolen will be 35 years old next April. Acquiring Rolen made sense if you were trying to make the playoffs in 2009, which the Reds obviously would not do, or if you were trying to make a post-season run in 2010. A salary dump of Phillips or even Arroyo would be an admission by the Reds that they know they have no post-season hopes in 2010; if so, then acquiring players as old as Rolen makes no sense.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  8. #22
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Don't those facts include a 4 game beatdown of the Reds by the Rockies?

    We've read this script before; I'm throwing it back on the slush pile.

    It does but they weren't playing the Pirates every game.

    Now was that when they were still playing with that "nothing-to-lose mindset" you talked about earlier?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #23
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,874

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It does but they weren't playing the Pirates every game.

    Now was that when they were still playing with that "nothing-to-lose mindset" you talked about earlier?
    Yep. They faced a pretty okay Rockies club (let's face it, the West is just terrible--it's almost as bad as the Central) with their best starters and still got swept four straight.

  10. #24
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yep. They faced a pretty okay Rockies club (let's face it, the West is just terrible--it's almost as bad as the Central) with their best starters and still got swept four straight.

    The Reds should have been so bad.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #25
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,874

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Reds should have been so bad.
    No kidding.

  12. #26
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    In the Ether
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yep. Scott Rolen will be 35 years old next April. Acquiring Rolen made sense if you were trying to make the playoffs in 2009, which the Reds obviously would not do, or if you were trying to make a post-season run in 2010. A salary dump of Phillips or even Arroyo would be an admission by the Reds that they know they have no post-season hopes in 2010; if so, then acquiring players as old as Rolen makes no sense.
    Unless of course, you happen to have a whole slew of young players who can benefit from a living example of how to be a professional and what it takes to get to the post-season and win. Like Barry Larkin, Rolen is known to work as hard on his defense as he does on his offense...if a guy who plays defense that well is still constantly working to improve it, that says something. Two seasons of that living example may pay dividends for a decade.

    "Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

  13. #27
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Unless of course, you happen to have a whole slew of young players who can benefit from a living example of how to be a professional and what it takes to get to the post-season and win. Like Barry Larkin, Rolen is known to work as hard on his defense as he does on his offense...if a guy who plays defense that well is still constantly working to improve it, that says something. Two seasons of that living example may pay dividends for a decade.
    That kinda stuff is way overblown IMHO. More often than not it's something good to say about guys on the down side of their productive years. It sounds good so it gets repeated. The more it's repeated the more folks believe in it.

  14. #28
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,697

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Unless of course, you happen to have a whole slew of young players who can benefit from a living example of how to be a professional and what it takes to get to the post-season and win. Like Barry Larkin, Rolen is known to work as hard on his defense as he does on his offense...if a guy who plays defense that well is still constantly working to improve it, that says something. Two seasons of that living example may pay dividends for a decade.
    I keep hearing this about Rolen, but looking back here is what I see:

    1. Wear out the welcome in Philly - force a trade.
    2. Pout and feud publicly with the Manager in St. Louis - force a trade.
    3. Whine about being homesick in Toronto - force a trade.

    Rolen brings great defense at 3B with a competent (but no longer game changing) bat. Maybe his leadership is great as well but other than hearing people repeat it all the time the evidence suggests that he has a selfish darkside. If this was about leadership, there were plenty of choices that didn't cost the team its top pitching prospect and eat up the rest of its payflex. I hope Rolen can stay on the field because his offense and defense combo helps the team and the cost was tremendous.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  15. #29
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I keep hearing this about Rolen, but looking back here is what I see:

    1. Wear out the welcome in Philly - force a trade.
    2. Pout and feud publicly with the Manager in St. Louis - force a trade.
    3. Whine about being homesick in Toronto - force a trade.

    Rolen brings great defense at 3B with a competent (but no longer game changing) bat. Maybe his leadership is great as well but other than hearing people repeat it all the time the evidence suggests that he has a selfish darkside. If this was about leadership, there were plenty of choices that didn't cost the team its top pitching prospect and eat up the rest of its payflex. I hope Rolen can stay on the field because his offense and defense combo helps the team and the cost was tremendous.
    1. Its Philly. They booed Santa Clause. If the Phillies are bad it is a miserable place to be.

    2. He had a pretty darn good run in StL. I don't fault him for having a fued with LaRussa. I think his time in StL had come to an end.

    3. Seriously its Canada. They have 10 months of winter in Canada. But in all reality wouldn't you want out of Toronto when you have a pretty good ball club but continue to finish 4th in the division?

    I don't fault the Rolen trade at all. I like him as a ball player and think he can be a good clubhouse player. Heck anything is better than the E5 over at 3b. Maybe there was culture change that needed to happen with the Reds. Maybe Rolen brings that to the table. All I know from watching him is that he always knows the situation and what to do if the ball is hit to him. Say what you want about his bat or his back for that matter. Rolen is a solid ball player who will make the Reds better.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

    worried that Rolen won't get along with the manager?

    then make him the manager
    2015, baby!


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25