Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

Re: John Fay Kidnapped By Aliens...

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    worried that Rolen won't get along with the manager?

then make him the manager

That worked with Rose... oh, wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Clubs such as the Reds, who have insulted their fans by managing their team including the minor league system so poorly that the fans cannot remember the Reds last winning season, should not suggest that it is up to the fans (ticket sales) to determine the payroll. For once, I believe the fans should say, "enough, put a team on the field or at least show signs of some actual building of a team through intelligent acquisitions and holding onto actual prospects and then we will buy tickets." It doesn't pay to threaten intelligent baseball people that can see how poorly this organization has been handled. Enough is enough; don't insult my intelligence please (Walt, I'm looking at you)!

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    That kinda stuff is way overblown IMHO. More often than not it's something good to say about guys on the down side of their productive years. It sounds good so it gets repeated. The more it's repeated the more folks believe in it.
    I completely agree. It's stuff color analysts say to try to sound smart.

But I think that Rolen was brought in not because of "leadership skills", but because he plays the game the right way. That was something that the team has been missing since Larkin left. Someone who who not just plays hard, but plays smart.

Having just one guy on the field who is a true professional provides far more "leadership" than someone who is great in the clubhouse. I think that Rolen can be very useful in that way, especially in regards to Bruce.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Clubs such as the Reds, who have insulted their fans by managing their team including the minor league system so poorly that the fans cannot remember the Reds last winning season, should not suggest that it is up to the fans (ticket sales) to determine the payroll. For once, I believe the fans should say, "enough, put a team on the field or at least show signs of some actual building of a team through intelligent acquisitions and holding onto actual prospects and then we will buy tickets." It doesn't pay to threaten intelligent baseball people that can see how poorly this organization has been handled. Enough is enough; don't insult my intelligence please (Walt, I'm looking at you)!

Bum
    Bum, what's that supposed to mean, fans can't remember the last time we had a winning season? Have Cincinnati fans become that stupid? Really? I understand you're using hyperbole, but in this club's long history, the last nine years aren't by any stretch the longest span without a winning season (1945 thru 1955 or 1926 thru 1937, 11 and 12 years respectively). Reds fans, frankly, were spoiled by the 25 year span when the club won it's division nine times, went to the Series five times and won three of those Series. It was an unprecedented time in Reds history.

I know we love to ring our hands around here, but while I don't agree with every step taken, I firmly believe Castellini and Co. are trying to put together championship baseball back on the field. It's going slower than I had hoped, but I won't make Castellini bear the burden of the six years Lindner ran the club like it was an insurance company. It hasn't been perfect, but I understand what they're trying to accomplish, and I clearly remember the last winning season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bum
    Every team sets their payroll by the amount of fans they have. Ticket sales are a big part of that, as is advertising from the games on TV. Why would the Reds be different?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Bum, what's that supposed to mean, fans can't remember the last time we had a winning season? Have Cincinnati fans become that stupid? Really? I understand you're using hyperbole, but in this club's long history, the last nine years aren't by any stretch the longest span without a winning season (1945 thru 1955 or 1926 thru 1937, 11 and 12 years respectively). Reds fans, frankly, were spoiled by the 25 year span when the club won it's division nine times, went to the Series five times and won three of those Series. It was an unprecedented time in Reds history.

I know we love to ring our hands around here, but while I don't agree with every step taken, I firmly believe Castellini and Co. are trying to put together championship baseball back on the field. It's going slower than I had hoped, but I won't make Castellini bear the burden of the six years Lindner ran the club like it was an insurance company. It hasn't been perfect, but I understand what they're trying to accomplish, and I clearly remember the last winning season.
    Unlike the Cubs, the Reds have intelligent baseball fans that want to see good baseball and while I may also believe that Castellini and Walt are doing their best to rebuild this organization, I just didn't appreciate Walt's comment. I have been a fan since I could talk (and some wish I would quit...talking...1969) and I will continue to be a fan. But don't tell me that the payroll is based on whether I buy a ticket this year or not because I have bought the same number of tickets for the last 20 years...not a lot, but I'm far away too. I don't care if they tear this team all the way down, just have a plan and let's move in the right direction. Suggesting that the fans are responsible for the mess that is the Reds is a off-base at best. Come up with a plan that the fans can see working and the fans will support that team.

That's my point. Walt's comment should have been kept to himself IMHO.

Bum

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

I'm not sure that 1926-1937 span is really dragging down ticket sales anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm not sure that 1926-1937 span is really dragging down ticket sales anymore.

RFS would disagree with you on that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Unlike the Cubs, the Reds have intelligent baseball fans that want to see good baseball
    Aside from Redszone, I've never really seen evidence that Reds fans are any more intelligent then anywhere else.

Aside from Redszone, I've never really seen evidence that Reds fans are any more intelligent then anywhere else.
    You should work in downtown Chicago for 11 years...that may enlighten you...:

So true, it's the Big Foot of baseball, a myth...., a legend that is more fake footprints and beer than teeth and fur.

Not sure about Reds fans but at least they aren't sheep that go to the games just to drink beer.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not sure about Reds fans but at least they aren't sheep that go to the games just to drink beer.
    They just go to games to see Marty's hair in person.

They just go to games to see Marty's hair in person.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

BTW, love the new avatar.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Reds could use a few sheep in the stands at this juncture.

Turn Off Ads?