Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Re-sign Hernandez...

Reds Re-sign Hernandez...

Fox Sports is reporting the Reds and signed Hernandez for one more season...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...cher-Hernandez
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Re-sign Hernandez...

Well, the Reds needed another catcher and Hernandez was a better option than anyone we had in AAA. The free agency market didn't look like there were too many better options either. As long as the money is reasonable it's a good move.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Just another player for Dusty to miss use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Well, the Reds needed another catcher and Hernandez was a better option than anyone we had in AAA. The free agency market didn't look like there were too many better options either. As long as the money is reasonable it's a good move.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Just another player for Dusty to miss use.
    You both are right. Unfortunately, any player the GM gives Dusty will be miss used somehow.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The signing is a one year deal with a second year that vests itself after 120 games played, according to what I read on the ORG.

Seems just fine, I see Hernandez as just about equal to any veteran C that the Reds could have signed this offseason. The fact that he is familiar with the Reds ORG and pitching staff is simply gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

It all comes down to how much money was spent. I like that it's only a one-year deal, though. As a catching tandem, you can do a lot worse than Hernanigan.

A great deal! Ramon should be the everyday catcher and hit 6th. He proved to be invaluable when Votto was out and don't forget he hit pretty clutch before he was hurt.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

3 million for 2010, 3.25 million for 2011 if he plays 120 games in 2010. Very reasonable I would say.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think it's a reasonable deal. I like the signing. They should each catch 3 to 4 games a week. Hanigan and Hernandez, that is. Split it evenly. It will keep each of them fresh.

Dusty will overplay Hernandez and underplay Hanigan. I think Dusty prefers even Corky Miller to Hanigan based on how much the two of them played at the end of the season.

Hanigan is a nice player, but look at how much better he played while in a platoon role. I think he wore down. It will be nice to see him splitting time with a real pro like Hernandez.

Hanigan is also quite a light hitter. Hopefully, Hernandez can gain a little power back with his "renewed" knees.

I'm back from the flu, and I give Walt a . The ol' Redlegs did exactly what most of RZ hoped they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    3 million for 2010, 3.25 million for 2011 if he plays 120 games in 2010. Very reasonable I would say.
    Perfect.

Solid move-Me likey
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Pretty darn reasonable.

Put me in the group that thought Hernandez was a great move, considering what we traded for him, and now what we paid him, even more so.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?