Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Khalil Greene???

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Khalil Greene???

Greene also regressed badly in the field last year.

Think of Janish without the glove, which is not a happy thought.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A guy that can't find first base with a gps.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Reds.

Greene doesn't just have anxiety "issues"... Issues isn't a strong enough description... He's pretty much a wreck... The guy is a cutter which means he deals with his pain by self-inflicting injuries upon himself... Not sure he has the moxie you want in a big leaguer.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Greene doesn't just have anxiety "issues"... Issues isn't a strong enough description... He's pretty much a wreck... The guy is a cutter which means he deals with his pain by self-inflicting injuries upon himself... Not sure he has the moxie you want in a big leaguer.
    Whoa, really?

I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Whoa, really?

I did not know that.
    http://cardinalsfrontoffice.wordpres...-cuts-himself/

Cardinal management is now starting to realize why Greene has struggled the past couple years. When we first learned about Greene’s anxiety problem, we just thought it was the same thing Zach Greinke and Dontrelle Willis went through. To my knowledge…not even close.

With Khalil’s issue, he is making a very difficult game nearly impossible. He explains, “It’s not the most enjoyable aspect of this. It’s about trying to find a balance, about not being too hard on myself and being able to naturally let it go.”
    While there has been no public clarification of actual problem, Greene has recently admitted to “self-abuse”. He says that he has had the same issue since childhood, but it has increase over the past few years.

Unfortunately, the public is now starting to realize how serious and how scary Greene’s issue actually is.

This is an excerpt from the Post-Dispatch’s Joe Strauss.

Teammates noticed Greene punishing himself during the season’s first road trip. When one Cardinal player approached Greene in the Wrigley Field dugout to ask what he was doing, Greene responded of his frustration, “It’s the only way I can get it out.”

Last weekend Greene left PNC Park in Pittsburgh with one hand bleeding. He had not sought treatment from the team’s training staff. One person in uniform described Greene’s struggle as “scary”.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I'm not all that excited about Greene, but his OBP numbers do not "make Willy Taveras look like Barry Bonds..."

2009 OBP:
    Greene: .272
    Taveras: .275

2009 OPS:
    Greene: .619
    Taveras: .559

Career MLB hitting:
    Greene(7 seasons): .245/.302/.422 for an OPS of .723
    Taveras(6 seasons): .276/.321/.328 for an OPS of .649.
    Well, I said that a bit tongue in cheek, didn't mean it in a literal sense .

My point was, the guy is awful at getting on base, clearly. And he was actually WORSE at getting on base last year than Taveras. And I can just picture a Taveras-Greene 1-2 combo at the top of the lineup next year.

If you couple his off field issues with his lack of production, I just don't see this adding up to much of anything.

Now I'm not saying he can't overcome his anxiety issues. Pete Harnisch is a guy I remember having trouble, and he flourished upon coming to Cincinnati. But I don't think Greene is the answer to anything in Cincinnati.

I guess Kermit was right, its not easy being Greene.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Maybe having a teammate who understands what it's like to deal with anxiety issues would be therapeutic for Greene. Votto too, for that matter.
    please let's not find out....I hate to sound/be insensitive but you can trace the beginning of the end for 2009 to the Votto exit(of course that only expedited the process I'd guess)

High five!

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Wow.
    Double wow. I had no idea he was going through all that. I hope he gets help but yeah, maybe best for him to figure it out somewhere other than Cincy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Now this guy I could go all in on. Jesus we spend 4 mill on a guy like Willy T. ? I would be totally on Board on Khalil.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I would really like to take a chance on Greene .
    And that is exactly what we'd be taking..... a CHANCE.

I wish only the best for the guy in his struggles with social anxiety disorder. It is a very real, and troubling disorder that I have witnessed first hand because member's of my wife's family struggle with it, and so does my oldest son.

We've seen what it can do to an individual in Votto. And to be honest, regardless of the help and medications, it's something he will struggle with the rest of his life.

Again... wish Greene only the best, but it's not a wise move for the Reds right now IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

a minor league deal couldnt hurt.. just drive the compitition

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    a minor league deal couldnt hurt.. just drive the compitition
    I agree. A minor league deal could be something that the Reds might be willing to do. There are meds out there to help Greene. If he can get straighten out, signing him to a minor league deal might turn out to be the best move of the offseason.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I know a bit about Khalil, having covered him all four of his years here at Clemson. He was always wound a little tight, and had what many would consider to be a disappointing junior season.

He gambled, decided to come back, and as a senior had one of the best seasons any college baseball player has ever had.

Obviously MLB is different. I understand that. But he has the ability - mentally and physically - to be a productive player at that level.

I don't know if he ever will again. But based on what I saw for four years - the good and the bad - I'm not sure I would bet against him.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

Turn Off Ads?