Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Khalil Greene???

Re: Khalil Greene???

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And that is exactly what we'd be taking..... a CHANCE.

I wish only the best for the guy in his struggles with social anxiety disorder. It is a very real, and troubling disorder that I have witnessed first hand because member's of my wife's family struggle with it, and so does my oldest son.

We've seen what it can do to an individual in Votto. And to be honest, regardless of the help and medications, it's something he will struggle with the rest of his life.

Again... wish Greene only the best, but it's not a wise move for the Reds right now IMO.
    That depends on what kind of contract he requires. If we could get him for a minor league contract the risk would likely be minimal with the potential to help out both the person that is the player and the team. Just because someone has a mental disability doesn't mean he should automatically be written off. Although, I think I remember reading that the Reds were concerned about Votto missing more time in the future due to relapses so they're probably not that interested anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

mediocre defense + low OBP = no thanks for me

If the Reds had to sign one of the remaining free agent shortstops, here's who I'd want:
    1.) Orlando Cabrera
    2.) Miguel Tejada
    3.) Jerry Hairston
    4.) Khalil Greene
    5.) Nick Green
    6.) Alfredo Amezaga

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    mediocre defense + low OBP = no thanks for me

If the Reds had to sign one of the remaining free agent shortstops, here's who I'd want:
    1.) Orlando Cabrera
    2.) Miguel Tejada
    3.) Jerry Hairston
    4.) Khalil Greene
    5.) Nick Green
    6.) Alfredo Amezaga
    Your list should stop @ 2.

At least the top 2 can help us on some level. The rest, not so much.

If the Reds sign one of the remaining free agent shortstops, here's who they will sign.
    1.) Orlando Cabrera
    2.) Miguel Tejada
    3.) Jerry Hairston
    4.) Khalil Greene
    5.) Nick Green
    6.) Alfredo Amezaga

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Your list should stop @ 2.

At least the top 2 can help us on some level. The rest, not so much.
    I agree for the most part, but if it's on a one-year deal, I wouldn't mind having Hairston back. In my opinion, both his defense and offense are about average, so as long as he's making less than the average major league salary, he could be a bargain. That's also not including the fact that he's very versatile, which is pretty valuable in itself.

I agree for the most part, but if it's on a one-year deal, I wouldn't mind having Hairston back. In my opinion, both his defense and offense are about average, so as long as he's making less than the average major league salary, he could be a bargain. That's also not including the fact that he's very versatile, which is pretty valuable in itself.
    I don't know his numbers but the Yankees were pleased with him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The problem with having Hairston on the roster is we'll see him play plenty of SS and LF. The Dusty just cannot keep JHJ on the bench. I'd rather us ride any of the young rollercoasters than an old bag like JHJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I don't know his numbers but the Yankees were pleased with him.

I doubt they would be as pleased if he were asked to play SS in place of Jeter or 3rd in place of A-Rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I agree. A minor league deal could be something that the Reds might be willing to do. There are meds out there to help Greene. If he can get straighten out, signing him to a minor league deal might turn out to be the best move of the offseason.
    Finding the right meds for an individual and the condition is not that easy. It isn't an exact science, and it is usually more than simply a chemical imbalance going on with the individual. Also, the medications usually have side effects which may affect an individuals reflexive actions.

I'm guessing Greene has already been on medications and has been in treatment for his problem. Surely his stints away from the Cardinals last year were not simply for rest and relaxation.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I had him on my Fantasy team last season. He was a HUGE disappointment and I was forced to drop him.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

As long as he got 1 million or less guaranteed, why not?

I'm not so sure about giving him incentives.. That might add to his anxiety.

Sign him with the hope of filling in what JHJ did (at about a million). He's got some upside, he might win his job back. He might thrive under Dusty. Don't count on him to lead the Reds to the promised land, but why not take a risk?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'd have no problem with signing Greene to a minor league contract.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I had him on my Fantasy team last season. He was a HUGE disappointment and I was forced to drop him.
    There you go. See, when TeamBoone has to dump you and cuts you, your toast, your history. Good enough for me passing on him.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    As long as he got 1 million or less guaranteed, why not?

I'm not so sure about giving him incentives.. That might add to his anxiety.

Sign him with the hope of filling in what JHJ did (at about a million). He's got some upside, he might win his job back. He might thrive under Dusty. Don't count on him to lead the Reds to the promised land, but why not take a risk?
    Thought that you said some players who don't perform well are a dime a dozen, now you're saying 1 million, and why not? Can we all come and work for you? I am about 5 cents a dozen, half a million works for me.

Code:
    Khalil Greene Age 30
    2007 SD  .254 .291 .468 .759 
    2008 SD  .213 .260 .339 .599 
    2009 StL .200 .272 .347 .619

vs. Left  .180 .257 .328 .585 
    vs. Right .211 .281 .358 .639

vs. Left  .188 .252 .277 .529 
    vs. Right .222 .263 .361 .624

vs. Left  .268 .343 .471 .814 
    vs. Right .249 .272 .467 .739
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Thought that you said some players who don't perform well are a dime a dozen, now you're saying 1 million, and why not? Can we all come and work for you? I am about 5 cents a dozen, half a million works for me.
    1. He's got upside.. A decent shot to outperform Janish.
    2. We need a utility infielder that can play SS and cover the infield.
    3. Sutton and Rosales suck and IMO have less upside -- which kind of underscores the total lack of depth we have at SS.
    4. What if Janish gets injured?
    5. He's cheap

He's not my dream addition, but we've had worse bench players.
    Not a bad gamble to grab a guy at a backup salary that has a decent chance of winning the starting job.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?