Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparky Anderson on mend after hospital stay

Sparky Anderson on mend after hospital stay

Anderson recovering from kidney illness
    By Mark Saxon
    ESPNLosAngeles.com

Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson is recuperating at his Thousand Oaks home after spending 12 days in the hospital with a kidney-related illness.

Anderson, who turns 76 Monday, said doctors told him the illness was caused by an unidentified substance that passed through his kidneys. He took a 12-day course of antibiotics and is feeling better.

"I did well and I didn't think when you get this old, you can do well," Anderson said. "They have no idea what it was and I hope they never find out either."

Anderson has generally stayed away from baseball since he retired as a color analyst on Angels broadcasts after the 1997 season.

"I knew right then that I'd never go back to the ballpark again and I never have," Anderson said. "If I'm driving in the car and a game comes on the radio, I turn it off."

Angels manager Mike Scioscia has invited him to join the team in Tempe, Ariz., but Anderson has declined.

Anderson said the presence of performance-enhancing drugs in the game has nothing to do with his avoidance of baseball.

"I will say this: It's a little unusual that these athletes, some of them, get this awful big. Gosh dang! Is it they're just big and they're strong and they eat better than we did?" Anderson said. "I don't know, but I know this: I'm not out there to blame them."

Anderson won more than 4,000 games and three World Series titles over a 27-year career managing the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4934333

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sparky Anderson on mend after hospital stay

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anderson won more than 4,000 games and three World Series titles over a 27-year career managing the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers.

That would be managed over 4000 games; he won 2194 as a manager.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    That would be managed over 4000 games; he won 2194 as a manager.
    Maybe they decided to include spring training, post season, and exhibition games?

That's kind of sad that he wants nothing to do with baseball anymore. That sounds unusual that a guy who spent his life in the game now won't even listen on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's kind of sad that he wants nothing to do with baseball anymore. That sounds unusual that a guy who spent his life in the game now won't even listen on the radio.
    Sounds like a guy who has a life. He retired from his job and now wants to spend his remaining time on other things.

I feel the same way about my job.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anderson recovering from kidney illness
    By Mark Saxon
    ESPNLosAngeles.com

Anderson, who turns 76 Monday, said doctors told him the illness was caused by an unidentified substance that passed through his kidneys.

"They have no idea what it was and I hope they never find out either."

I can't figure how to make sense of this part of the article, especially Sparky's quote. Why would he hope that they never find out what the cause of his difficulty was?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I can't figure how to make sense of this part of the article, especially Sparky's quote. Why would he hope that they never find out what the cause of his difficulty was?
    I took that to mean that if they could figure out what it was, he would be forced to deal with it. As long as it's a mystery, he doesn't need to bother with any kind of treatment.

Haunted by walks

He was always kind of like that, the lovable illogical manager. Sort of Casey Stengel Lite.

And today's his birthday...have a great one, Skip!
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I love Sparky, but he was never one to make 100% sense.

Lots of times, he'd say something and I'd just scratch my head saying "what?".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sounds like a guy who has a life. He retired from his job and now wants to spend his remaining time on other things.

I feel the same way about my job.
    Your job probably isn't as fun as managing in the big leagues. If you were a terribly successful major league manager would you still feel that way?

The other end of the spectrum is Oscar Robertson who is seen courtside for most every UC homegame

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I love Sparky, but he was never one to make 100% sense.

Lots of times, he'd say something and I'd just scratch my head saying "what?".
    Yep, he's not known for his sense making statements.

I also know from what I've read about him that the game gave him as much personal and physical issues/life pondering as it gave him joy, the fact that he prefers to not hang out on the field or the park is hardly a surprise for a 76 year old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I also know from what I've read about him that the game gave him as much personal and physical issues/life pondering as it gave him joy, the fact that he prefers to not hang out on the field or the park is hardly a surprise for a 76 year old guy.
    I agree about coming out to the ballpark but listening to it on the radio? He's flat out avoiding baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree about coming out to the ballpark but listening to it on the radio? He's flat out avoiding baseball
    If you worked your entire one life in a certain industry, when you retired wouldn't you want to avoid that industry?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If you worked your entire one life in a certain industry, when you retired wouldn't you want to avoid that industry?
    Depends on the industry. Can you imagine Pete Rose saying he wouldn't even listen to a MLB game? And he honestly would have a reason to chuck it all.

Turn Off Ads?