Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I-74 Ramp Metering

I-74 Ramp Metering

<rant>

Congratulations Cincinnati on ruining the one freeway that wasn't a pain...accidents, metering that can't adjust, backups everywhere. Way to go ODOT/Cincinnati!

I thought these lights were supposed adjust for traffic??? When there was an accident just south of North Bend Road, the next exit was still backed up quite far back and traffic would have easily allowed them all to merge safely. Oh, and the idea of letting cars enter a ramp, stopping them, then forcing them to get back up to speed quickly, seems counterintuitive to me...gee, let's make everyone's engines work harder, waste more gas, put more pollutants in the air, and generally annoy the heck out of people.

Our government at work...woo boy...

</rant>

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: I-74 Ramp Metering

I'm going a different route to avoid the metered ramps. They are a stupid idea and solve nothing.

I wonder if that's why traffic was backed up on Westwood Northern this morning on my way to work. I thought it was just cause of the rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Metered ramps eh?

Welcome to the 20th century Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Metered ramps eh?

Welcome to the 20th century Cincinnati.

We're gonna go back in time!

I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We're gonna go back in time!
    Wouldn't be the first time.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Metered ramps aren't so bad. It's better to do a little waiting on a ramp than a lot of waiting on an overloaded, gridlocked highway. The latter is what they prevent.
    /r/reds

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Metered ramps aren't so bad. It's better to do a little waiting on a ramp than a lot of waiting on an overloaded, gridlocked highway. The latter is what they prevent.
    They moved the backup off the highway and put it onto a secondary road. They didn't solve problem here, just moved it.

A better traffic easing solution would be to install a city-wide passenger rail system but for some reason that scares the crap out of people even though gas, traffic and the amount of money we waste on road widenings and improvements will only continue to increase...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

Well, I can't speak for rush hour but it isn't exactly the busiest road around.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    A better traffic easing solution would be to install a city-wide passenger rail system but for some reason that scares the crap out of people even though gas, traffic and the amount of money we waste on road widenings and improvements will only continue to increase...
    I agree, but good luck finding the money to do it the right way.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I agree, but good luck finding the money to do it the right way.
    I spent some of this falling working to help defeat Issue 9 here in Cincy. Presently there will be some stimulus money available for some rail expansion, primarily in the CCC corridor and then connecting to Chicago, but one of the things that got me interesting in not putting the city behind the eight ball to explore light rail was some of the maps showing a wider, countywide (and regional) train system. The maps are pretty cool and I hope we'll succeed someday.

http://www.protransit.com/Maps/Great...-Rail-Plan.asp
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I spent some of this falling working to help defeat Issue 9 here in Cincy. Presently there will be some stimulus money available for some rail expansion, primarily in the CCC corridor and then connecting to Chicago, but one of the things that got me interesting in not putting the city behind the eight ball to explore light rail was some of the maps showing a wider, countywide (and regional) train system. The maps are pretty cool and I hope we'll succeed someday.

http://www.protransit.com/Maps/Great...-Rail-Plan.asp
    I love those maps, redsmetz. Imagine if MetroMoves would have passed in 2002. Although not a perfect plan, we would be seeing some of those lines open today.

Thanks for your work in helping to defeat Issue 9, thank goodness it didn't pass. I know it takes some money for these maps to become reality but it puts the price tag in perspective when you compare it to some of the road widening projects like the upcoming I-75 and Brent Spence Bridge projects. Not to mention the economic development that comes with rail as opposed to asphalt...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Imagine if the subway had been built in the 20's, imagine if Cincinnati had public transportation that wasn't the bus.... wait construction on I75? Never....

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Imagine if the subway had been built in the 20's, imagine if Cincinnati had public transportation that wasn't the bus.... wait construction on I75? Never....
    Yep, there's always something going on. They've recently done resurfacing through the Lockland Split. It's still three lanes, though. For the most part during rush hour every day, I-75 between the river and I-275 up north is a disaster.

It's so bad that I've scheduled my working hours to avoid the mess at its worst (get in early, get out early).
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?