Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Minor League FA list and signings

Re: Minor League FA list and signings

How quickly they fall. Rotoworld's take on the Denorfia signing:

Padres signed outfielder Chris Denorfia to a minor league contract.

Denorfia, 29, made just two major league plate appearances in 2009 and hit a lousy .271/.317/.398 in 107 games at Triple-A Sacramento. He'll serve only as organizational depth for the Friars.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds traded Denorfia for millions of dollars and two pitchers who have only grossed the Reds more cash (McBeth got the Reds $10,000 on a waiver claim, and Jukich has gotten the Reds $25,000+ through the rule five draft). At the time, people were very frustrated by the trade of Denorfia, but so far, it's looking like it was the right thing to do. Of course, I'm sure some people will argue about the return it should've gotten the Reds, but nonetheless, it looks like it was a move that helped the Reds more than it hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Reds traded Denorfia for millions of dollars and two pitchers who have only grossed the Reds more cash (McBeth got the Reds $10,000 on a waiver claim, and Jukich has gotten the Reds $25,000+ through the rule five draft). At the time, people were very frustrated by the trade of Denorfia, but so far, it's looking like it was the right thing to do. Of course, I'm sure some people will argue about the return it should've gotten the Reds, but nonetheless, it looks like it was a move that helped the Reds more than it hurt them.
    Classic overreaction and over valuation of our own farm's players. It happens all too frequently round here. It was once Rosales was a better prospect than Bailey. It was the mighty Denorfia. The great Kearns. The legendary Wily Mo Pena. Dustin Moseley, Calvin Medlock, Carlos Guevera, etc etc etc.. And most recently, its Cy Young Stewart. We get too attached on some level to guys in our system, overrate our own players, buy into the hype way too much. Its hard to inflect and be objective about your favorite team's prospects - it really is. Thats why I try not to lament the loss of a prospect, because time and time again, history has shown that a lot of them fall from grace. I'm particularly bewildered by the Zach Stewart thread reaching huge proportions. Guy has some serious question marks. I like his chances to be a regular, but who knows if its going to be as a starter or a reliever.. with an outside chance of not being a regular at all.

In any case, I think I'm going to call this "Denorfia Syndrome" - and I have a feeling the next guy that will fall into this category is Dorn. There's also an outside shot of Heisey joining this storied group of overrated/overhyped redszone favorite that doesn't quite live up to redszone billing.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    There's also an outside shot of Heisey joining this storied group of overrated/overhyped redszone favorite that doesn't quite live up to redszone billing.
    only an outside chance?
    2015, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    only an outside chance?
    Poor wording.. outside relative to some of the other names I listed. He certainly has some legit tools and his performance has also helped quiet some doubts I've had about him. Scouts seem to be talking about him as a legit MLB player these days, not just as a spare outfielder ala Denorfia.

So, if I could reword that sentence, I would perhaps use the words "decent chance" instead of outside..

Other players who fall under Denorfia Syndrome? Would love to hear other's lists.

Brandon Larson?
    Edwin Encarnacion?

I don't know.. I'm sure there are plenty more.. you tell me.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

All Denorfia Team

1B Ben Broussard
    2B Chris Stynes
    SS Gookie Dawkins
    C Devin Mesorasco
    3B Willie Greene
    LF Jon Nunnally
    CF Mike Frank
    RF Chad Mottola

All Denorfia Team

1B Ben Broussard
    2B Chris Stynes
    SS Gookie Dawkins
    C Devin Mesorasco
    3B Willie Greene
    LF Jon Nunnally
    CF Mike Frank
    RF Chad Mottola
    Some of these guys actually had decent moments in the majors.

I know it's early, but I see Danny Dorn as a perfect fit (perhaps in a LF platoon?). If Mesoraco can be here, so can Dorn.

Dorn may be a part of it. Though about Stubbs, too. The pitching staff is eleven miles long.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I'm particularly bewildered by the Zach Stewart thread reaching huge proportions. Guy has some serious question marks. I like his chances to be a regular, but who knows if its going to be as a starter or a reliever.. with an outside chance of not being a regular at all.
    Is there a way to put a stake through the heart of the 'losing...hurts' thread? I, for one, am ready to put any pain behind me and get on with life.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Is there a way to put a stake through the heart of the 'losing...hurts' thread? I, for one, am ready to put any pain behind me and get on with life.
    Near the top of the page: "Thread Tools/Ignore Thread."

According to Baseball America, the Reds signed RHP Chad Reineke to a minor league contract, along with RHP Arshwin Asjes and OF Sean Danielson. Reineke may be able to help the team, but he appears to be the pitching equivalent of the Chris Burke signing.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Talked to a scout last night who saw Asjes pitch last season. Says he is 89-91 with a decent slider. No third pitch. Sounds like solid bullpen depth for the farm.

Here's a scouting report on outfielder Sean Danielson, acquired by the Red Sox in the 2007 Joel Pineiro deal. He served as a fourth-outfielder last season at Pawtucket.

"Scrappy, undersized, and speedy, Danielson is a great clubhouse presence at any level. He's very capable defensively, able to play all three outfield positions well with great range. Strong arm, big league glove. At the plate, Danielson is a slap hitter who will dig out a few doubles but doesn't have much power. Some on base ability, runs the bases well. Has the potential to be a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner at the MLB level."

For full career stats on the switch-hitter, click the link below:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/danielson-sean.htm

Here's a Wikipedia report on pitcher Chad Reineke, who began his career in the Astros organization as a reliever but has been used increasingly as a starter, getting a couple of ML starts for the Padres and Oakland A's. Of note:

* He's from Defiance, Ohio and attended Miami U
    * He's been traded for Randy Wolf
    * He just got married
    * And he has at least one dedicated fan because someone already updated his Wikipedia entry to reflect today's signing by the Reds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Reineke

Interesting life story for Arshwin Asjes.

http://antillen.nu/content/view/407/155/

Turn Off Ads?