Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Minor League FA list and signings

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Minor League FA list and signings

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: RHP Jesus Delgado, RHP Justin Lehr (re-signed), RHP Daryl Thompson (re-signed), OF Josh Anderson, OF Luis Terrero

Terrero enjoyed a huge year in the Mexican League last season, batting .345/.440/.603 with 21 home runs in 103 games for Laguna. Of course, the run-scoring environment in Mexico is elevated, but Terrero still ranked fifth in the ML in slugging (Ruben Rivera finished on top), third with 54 extra-base hits and fourth with 90 RBIs. At the conclusion of the Mexican League season, Terrero played indy ball with Kansas City of the Northern League for 10 games.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...7444#more-7444
    Terrero is a classic five-tool, contact-averse guy. Ruben Rivera without the sticky fingers (speaking of).

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-Terrero.shtml

Bob Miller probably knows the guy really well- he spent seven years in the Arizona system (the last two on the D-backs bench) since he was signed out of the Dominican Republic in 1997. He was Arizona's #3 prospect in 2001 and #1 in 2002 according to Baseball America.

I like this signing too. The guy should at least be able to anchor the Louisville lineup and be an adequate injury fill-in. He'll be 30 in May.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7444

Cleveland signed OF Austin Kearns.

Milwaukee signed OF Norris Hopper. (DanO fist bump!)

The Mets re-upped LHP Adam Pettyjohn.

Philadelphia signed RHR Jason Standridge.

Tampa inked C Alvin Colina.

Texas re-upped with RHS Elizardo Ramirez.

Washington picked up INF Pedro Lopez.

Glad to see Thompson back. Don't know if his injuries will ever let him reach anywhere near his potential, but at least there is some real potential there. I hope he's ok.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7481

The White Sox signed Brady Clark, who didn't play last season.

The Reds signed Jose Arredondo, which was discussed here and here.

The Marlins re-signed Brian Lawrence, who briefly stunk for the Reds in spring training not too long ago.

Former Reds draft pick, John Koronka (12th round, 1998), signed with the Dodgers. Remember when the Reds traded him for Phil Norton? I'm still wondering who got more ripped off in that deal.

The Cardinals signed Kevin Howard, who was stupidly traded to the Yankees for Tony "Wo is me" Womack.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7481

The White Sox signed Brady Clark, who didn't play last season.

The Reds signed Jose Arredondo, which was discussed here and here.

The Marlins re-signed Brian Lawrence, who briefly stunk for the Reds in spring training not too long ago.

Former Reds draft pick, John Koronka (12th round, 1998), signed with the Dodgers. Remember when the Reds traded him for Phil Norton? I'm still wondering who got more ripped off in that deal.

The Cardinals signed Kevin Howard, who was stupidly traded to the Yankees for Tony "Wo is me" Womack.
    The Reds won that trade as Koronka helped ruin seasons for three different teams after leaving the organization.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

As we all know, the Reds signed Miguel Cairo. Here are a few other minor league transactions:
    The Colorado Rockies signed Damian "One Year Wonder" Moss and Carlos "Elected Not to Be Protected" Guevara. You might remember Moss as a Reds farmhand in 2004. You probably don't remember that, though, since he pitched only four games. Carlos Guevara is more memorable because the Reds lost him in the rule five draft to the Padres. I don't have any proof, but I'm pretty sure a few of you were so upset with Krivsky for not protecting him that death threats were mailed to him. Anyway, Guevara turned out to be a bust, but the Reds received managed to receive cash for him.

Timo Perez was signed by the Dodgers. He was one of the first players Krivsky signed, but the Reds traded him for cash before having the chance to play a single game for the organization.

And in non-ex-Red news:
    The Chicago Cubs signed Chad "Where Did My Power Go?" Tracy.
    The Chicago White Sox signed Daniel "I'm Historically Bad" Cabrera.
    The Florida Marlins signed Derrick "Where Is the Plate?" Turnbow.
    The New York Mets signed Val "Chad Mottola Better Watch His Back" Pascucci.
    The Washington Nationals signed Kevin "Why Doesn't RedsZone Love Me Anymore?" Mench.
    The Tampa Bay Rays signed Matt "I'm F***ing Matt Bush" Bush. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wN3Gjss-iM

The Reds released Luis Machuca. It's kind of a surprise because he's only 21 and has always put up good numbers. http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=machuc001lui

ex-Reds:
    Seth "Jimbo Told Me I'm a Future Hall of Famer" Etherton was signed by the Dodgers. So was Ramon "I'm Another Pitcher Acquired by DanO Who Can Give Up 40 Homeruns in a Season" Ortiz.
    The Brewers signed Scott "You're Welcome for Kyle Lotzkar" Schoeneweis.
    The Mets signed Josh "Pray for Rain" Fogg.
    The Phillies signed John "I Was a Jerk to camisadelgolf in High School" Purdom (true story).
    The Nationals signed Mike "Eight Seasons in AAA Wasn't Enough" Venafro.

non-ex-Reds:
    Justin "I Love My Agent" Speier will be paid $5.2mm by the Angels to play in AAA for the Rockies. The Rockies also signed Bronson "It's Cool--My Brother Was a Bust, Too" Sardinha.
    The Dodgers signed Alfredo "Thank God He Didn't Sign with the Reds" Almezaga.
    The Mets signed Travis "G'Day Mate! I'm a Better Hitter Than I Am a Pitcher" Blackley.
    The Yankees signed Marcus "Will Someone Please Teach Me How to Say My Name Right?" Thames.

Worth remembering that Ramon Ortiz was somebody who could throw innings that Jimbo had left absolutely nobody capable of throwing.

That's very true. At the time, a lot of RZ was very upset that Dustin Moseley had been traded for Ortiz, but in the end, it looks like it wasn't all that bad of an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's very true. At the time, a lot of RZ was very upset that Dustin Moseley had been traded for Ortiz, but in the end, it looks like it wasn't all that bad of an idea.
    Well, yes in the sense that Moseley hasn't managed to stick in a significant big-league role, but as I recall at the time Ortiz was a strong candidate to be non-tendered. The belief was that the Reds gave up a decent pitching prospect to get a guy that very well might not have even been offered a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Well, yes in the sense that Moseley hasn't managed to stick in a significant big-league role, but as I recall at the time Ortiz was a strong candidate to be non-tendered. The belief was that the Reds gave up a decent pitching prospect to get a guy that very well might not have even been offered a contract.
    The Reds are horrible about this. Wasn't that the same situation with WT?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The Reds are horrible about this. Wasn't that the same situation with WT?
    No they waited for his axing, didn't make a trade.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    No they waited for his axing, didn't make a trade.
    yeah, I looked that up later.

Latest installment:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7532

Interesting note not covered elsewhere: the Reds have signed Aaron Harang's younger brother Daryl! (No word on whether his other brother Daryl will be joining the organization.)

Anyway, Daryl is a lefthander who pitched in the independent Atlantic League last year, posting a 4.08 ERA in 154.1 IP. He advanced as high as Double-A in five years in the Toronto organization (who drafted him in the 23rd round in 2004).

Cincinnati also (re-)signed RHP Enrique Garcia, whom they signed out of the U as a 24th-round selection in 2008. BA: "The White Sox, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Reds each drafted Garcia in the years 2005-08, first out of Potomac State (W.Va.) JC and then Miami. The Reds signed him in the last of those years, only to cut him loose in February '09. He appears to have taken a year off before re-signing with Cincinnati."

In other news:

Colorado picked up ex-Rays phenom Nick Bierbrodt, a LHP. Guy has been in indy ball since 2005.

Minnesota picked up former Astro prospect OF Charlton Jimerson. Another indy ball pickup.

Toronto signed ex-Red trade acquistion Daniel Perales. Perales, an outfielder, was the payment from Arizona in the epic Jon Coutlangus trade. The Reds cut him loose after he missed most of 2009 with injuries.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7631

Last batch of minor league free agents rush to find seats as the music slows down...

Atlanta signed C/1B/COF JR House, a solid hitter.

Cleveland (re-) signed RHR Tom Mastny, who spent a year in Japan.

Houston signed OF Jason Bourgeois, another useful guy to have in AAA.

Los Angeles picked up RHR Eric Gagne. Game not over! They also got Robin Yount's kid Dustin, a 1B, out of indy ball- and ex-Reds OF Brandon Watson.

Minnesota picked up ex-Red OF Jacque Jones for another go-round.

New York signed RHS John Van Benschoten, the ex-Pirate first-rounder out of Kent State.

San Francisco signed RHP Byung-Hyun Kim as well as RHR Guillermo Mota. Kim's been out of baseball the past two seasons.

Texas signed ex-Reds 1B Wes Bankston.

Washington re-upped ex-Red LHP Ron Villone.

Turn Off Ads?