Thread: $583K dome?

$583K dome?

http://www.freep.com/article/20091117/NEWS05/911170324/

November 17, 2009

Silverdome fetches $583,000

Soccer teams could use it

BY MELANIE D. SCOTT, JOHN GALLAGHER and KEVIN BULL
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

The Pontiac Silverdome and its 127 adjacent acres could become home to a Major League Soccer team now that the city has accepted a bid of $583,000 from a Toronto-based real estate company to buy the facility.

Williams & Williams, the Tulsa, Okla., real estate firm conducting the auction of the vacant stadium, announced Monday that the unidentified winning bidder plans to use the complex for a men's Major League Soccer team and women's professional soccer.

"Many people said they were going to be bidding tens of millions of dollars and that's easy to say if you're not going to put up the money," said Fred Leeb, Pontiac's emergency financial manager.

A purchase price of $583,000 shows how depressed the real estate market has become.

In 2005, suburban developers headed by the firm Schostak Brothers offered nearly $20 million for the Silverdome, but the deal fell apart as the city delayed taking the offer.

And last year, a $17.5-million plan to turn it into a horse racetrack, hotel and conference center also fell through.

"A number of people talked about plans, but no one came up with the money," Leeb said.

As far as an MLS team coming to Pontiac, Senior Vice President Dan Courtemanche said Monday night: "Although we have reviewed the Detroit market since the league's inception, we are not in any discussions with the Silverdome to bring a Major League Soccer team to Detroit."

MLS Commissioner Don Garber said Monday in his state of the league address that he believes the league, which currently has 15 teams, will eventually have 20, but did not give a timetable.

The successful bidder's name is to be released when final details are worked out and the sale closes, which could take up to 45 days, Leeb said.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: $583K dome?

When I was kid we used to go to Tiger Stadium for football games, when the Silverdome was built it was like a big part of Lions football history had died, since then they've become even more irrelevent.

What a dump that place was, what a place for the Bengals to have their 1st Super Bowl.

One of the first years the Lions played there,maybe the first year, I watched a game from there and the roof was leaking buckets of water. It must have been a dump from the start.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think they overpaid.

It cost $55.7M to build in 1975. Probably $200M+ now.

Shows how devastated the economy is in that part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It cost $55.7M to build in 1975. Probably $200M+ now.

Shows how devastated the economy is in that part of the country.
    Wonder what kind of taxes they will have to pay. Im surprised they didn't level it when they built Ford Field.

I always wanted my own stadium. As a kid I though it would be cool to have a miniature version of Riverfront Stadium in the field beside my house. Getting the Silverdome disassembled and transported back to Kentucky would have been a nightmare, though.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Does the purchase price include a 1 year home warranty?

Given the fact that MLS is already committed to expansion in Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Portland over the next two years and the league's stated dislike of artificial surfaces, I have no clue why these people think there's any chance of getting a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Given the fact that MLS is already committed to expansion in Philadelphia, Vancouver, and Portland over the next two years and the league's stated dislike of artificial surfaces, I have no clue why these people think there's any chance of getting a franchise.
    My guess is this won't be the last sale of that piece of property. I'm sure there are 4 bedroom houses worth more than $583,000 in the 'burbs of Detroit. Amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Rip the roof off and install grass, save on AC bills to
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is this won't be the last sale of that piece of property. I'm sure there are 4 bedroom houses worth more than $583,000 in the 'burbs of Detroit. Amazing...
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32...39623956_zpid/

That's not that far away. It's only 7000 sq ft too!

Attending a Bands of America marching band regional competition at the Silverdome this weekend.

We've been assured its all fixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Attending a Bands of America marching band regional competition at the Silverdome this weekend.

We've been assured its all fixed up.
    Report back with your observations

Is Hacksaw Reynolds still standing at the goal line, daring anyone to try and cross?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?