Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utecht and Chatman released

Utecht and Chatman released

From Bengals.com

The Bengals on Tuesday made the following reserve list and practice squad moves:

Terminated the contract of wide receiver Antonio Chatman, releasing him to free agency. Chatman was released from the Reserve/Injured list. A seventh-year NFL player, Chatman opened the 2009 preseason with the Bengals but suffered an ankle injury in practice on Aug. 7. He was placed Sept. 5 on Reserve/Injured and has completed his rehab.

Terminated the contract of tight end Ben Utecht, releasing him to free agency. Utecht was released from the Reserve/Injured list. A fifth-year NFL player, Utecht opened the 2009 preseason with the Bengals but suffered a concussion in practice on Aug. 5. He was placed Aug. 31 on Reserve/Injured and has completed his rehab.

Signed safety Brannon Condren to the practice squad. Condren (6-1, 205; Troy) is a third-year NFL player. He opened 2009 with Indianapolis, but was waived on July 29. A fourth-round draft choice of Indianapolis in 2007, he played in eight games for the Colts that season, with two tackles, a pass defensed and four special teams tackles. He was waived by the Colts on Aug. 30, 2008. Later in 08, he was inactive for four games with St. Louis and played in four games for Miami, with three special teams tackles.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Utecht and Chatman released

Yeah, I saw that today. I never was high on Chatman, but I had high hopes for Utecht. Alas, JP Foschii is filling in quite well.
    Witty signature.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

What wasn't mentioned is the Bengals working out Joey Galloway. Also saw Mike Doss is getting a look as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Doss knows the system. If they need a player, I would bet he comes in.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Doss kind of fell of the planet after some really productive years in Indy. After getting hurt in Minnesota, he had a cup of coffee with the Bengals and then... Nothin'.

Are safeties that good in the NFL that Doss couldn't get any looks by anyone? Strange.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Doss kind of fell of the planet after some really productive years in Indy. After getting hurt in Minnesota, he had a cup of coffee with the Bengals and then... Nothin'.

Are safeties that good in the NFL that Doss couldn't get any looks by anyone? Strange.
    Doss is/has always been limited in coverage. He is a scheme specific player. He probably works in Mike Zimmer's defense. Not as well in others. Safety has become a very specialized position in the NFL, where the personnel have to fit the scheme. The very reason that Roy Williams and Chris Crocker were walking the streets looking for jobs, is the same reason Doss is, and why Taylor Mays will eventually be in the same boat. They play more of the traditional Strong safety position, being good in run support, and punishing people crossing the middle, just don't ask them to cover slot receivers with man coverage. Most current NFL defenses rely on two of the traditional free safeties, that are better at coverage.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    What wasn't mentioned is the Bengals working out Joey Galloway. Also saw Mike Doss is getting a look as well.
    ESPN reported Tuesday the Bengals worked out a trio of veterans in wide receiver Joey Galloway, defensive tackle Ed Johnson, and safety Mike Doss, a guy that was with them late last season.
    Galloway, the pride of Bellaire, Ohio, and Ohio State, apparently put on an impressive show by reportedly flashing excellent speed for a man who turns 38 this Friday. But at the moment there doesn't look to be any room at the inn. The Bengals could use a stretch-the-field guy now that Chris Henry (forearm) is done for the year, but how much of that is in their game now? The expendable guy would appear to be Jerome Simpson, who has been inactive for all nine games. But there are no signs they are giving up on their second-rounder from 2008.
    Bengals.com

I think we now know just how important Henry's presence alone was. Otherwise you don't go working out 38 year old WR's for a similiar presence. Although safety help has become neccessary as of late so they may go that direction. I''d hate to see Simpson cut and become the next Jimmy Smith in KC or Oakland or somewhere else. But it's looking a lot more like the Bengals are going all in on this season and Simpson might be a casualty of that.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-18-2009 at 04:27 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Doss is/has always been limited in coverage. He is a scheme specific player. He probably works in Mike Zimmer's defense. Not as well in others. Safety has become a very specialized position in the NFL, where the personnel have to fit the scheme. The very reason that Roy Williams and Chris Crocker were walking the streets looking for jobs, is the same reason Doss is, and why Taylor Mays will eventually be in the same boat. They play more of the traditional Strong safety position, being good in run support, and punishing people crossing the middle, just don't ask them to cover slot receivers with man coverage. Most current NFL defenses rely on two of the traditional free safeties, that are better at coverage.
    Doss is also undersized to play a run stopping/limited coverage S. But I do think he would fit in this system about as good as Crocker. Crocker struggles to cover the 3rd WR or a good TE and it is evident. But when he isn't forced to do so he is a very good S. It will be interesting to see what Taylor Mays does in the NFL. His combine numbers will be amazing. His speed/size ratio will be off the charts. He may have trouble at first covering a slot WR or TE but I think he has that ability.

As for Galloway I want little to do with him. His speed may be back in a workout, but how will that hold over 8 weeks? He just doesn't have that separation burst that he had in the past. He doesn't do anything that a Caldwell can't do.

Both Doss and Ed Johnson have major character issues and with the recent signing of Larry Johnson I fear the Bengals are sabotaging their success.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Sorry to see Ben Utecht go. I had high hopes for him.

Hope he fully recovers from his concussion. It must have been a pretty bad one. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire. Being an NFL player is not a ticket to long-term health.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Both Doss and Ed Johnson have major character issues and with the recent signing of Larry Johnson I fear the Bengals are sabotaging their success.
    I don't think Doss has any character issues. He's had off the field trouble, but inside the locker room I don't think anyone has ever complained about him. He was a leader of that 2002 OSU championship team, and I never heard anything from his early NFL career that indicate he's a bad apple.

Such a shame that Utechts bengal career ended the way it did.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I am a bit wearied by the "character issues" argument. Welcome to any workplace. Consider that it is probably being brought up by people who spend hours of their workday fiddling on the internet at work.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I am a bit wearied by the "character issues" argument. Welcome to any workplace. Consider that it is probably being brought up by people who spend hours of their workday fiddling on the internet at work.
    It's hard to define how valuable character really is in the workplace. I know people with NO personal character whatsoever, who I've had no problem with at work. And I know people of very high character who I haven't gotten along with at all. It's a tricky thing. But I don't think LJ is going to be a problem. If he is, we'll just cut him loose.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Doss had his baggage before the Bengals signed him last year. If they bring him back they know what they are getting.

Turn Off Ads?