Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utecht and Chatman released

Re: Utecht and Chatman released

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Doss had his baggage before the Bengals signed him last year. If they bring him back they know what they are getting.
    Doss was pretty much a model citizen with the exception of one incident. I believe it either was brandishing a guy or firing a gun into the air outside a night club in Akron. Other than that I don't remember hearing anything negative coming out about Doss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Doss was pretty much a model citizen with the exception of one incident. I believe it either was brandishing a guy or firing a gun into the air outside a night club in Akron. Other than that I don't remember hearing anything negative coming out about Doss.
    Brandishing and/or firing a gun outside of a night club just doesn't seem compatible with "pretty much a model citizen." Granted, it was one incident, but that seems like a biggie.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Brandishing and/or firing a gun outside of a night club just doesn't seem compatible with "pretty much a model citizen." Granted, it was one incident, but that seems like a biggie.
    I know "pretty much a model citizen" or 20,000 "pretty much model citizens" who will hurtle their vehicle down the highway at 70 mph every Sunday after a game driving impaired, just for an example of the standard for "model citizen." That's probably more dangerous than the one act you just described.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I know "pretty much a model citizen" or 20,000 "pretty much model citizens" who will hurtle their vehicle down the highway at 70 mph every Sunday after a game driving impaired, just for an example of the standard for "model citizen." That's probably more dangerous than the one act you just described.
    I wouldn't call those folks model citizens either. Maybe some people would, I don't know. Am I all alone in thinking that brandishing and/or firing a gun outside of a night club makes one less than a model citizen?

For the record, it really doesn't bother me that the Bengals are looking at him, or anyone else with character issues.

I wouldn't call those folks model citizens either. Maybe some people would, I don't know. Am I all alone in thinking that brandishing and/or firing a gun outside of a night club makes one less than a model citizen?

For the record, it really doesn't bother me that the Bengals are looking at him, or anyone else with character issues.
    Sure you would, you don't know which people you consider "model citizens" do such a thing until they get caught. I just think that considering someone less than a model citizen for a recorded single transgression, esp. when you don't even know anything beyond "didn't he brandish or fire a weapon? yea, I think that's it" is a bit self-righteous.

Sure you would, you don't know which people you consider "model citizens" do such a thing until they get caught. I just think that considering someone less than a model citizen for a recorded single transgression, esp. when you don't even know anything beyond "didn't he brandish or fire a weapon? yea, I think that's it" is a bit self-righteous.
    One thing I've learned in life is to expect the unexpected. However, you calling me self-righteous for saying a guy might be less than a model citizen when he waved a gun around in public is a complete surprise.

I'm not saying he's a terrible person. I'm just saying he's not really an angel either. Why that offends you to the point that you'd engage in name calling is beyond me.

One thing I've learned in life is to expect the unexpected. However, you calling me self-righteous for saying a guy might be less than a model citizen when he waved a gun around in public is a complete surprise.

I'm not saying he's a terrible person. I'm just saying he's not really an angel either. Why that offends you to the point that you'd engage in name calling is beyond me.
    I'm not offended, simply amazed at what little bit of information people will accept to form their opinions. Name calling does not apply. I was referring to your opinion, not you as an individual. See, I only have one incident (your comment) to go on, so I am simply not qualified to say you are a self-righteous person overall.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Depends on the circumstances, since it was an isolated incident I don't know I'd draw any conclusions from it one way or the other.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I know that the Colts franchise got rid of Doss as soon as his contract was up, they had zero interest in bringing him back. I think the topper was the way he acted during the Super Bowl celebration.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I'm not offended, simply amazed at what little bit of information people will accept to form their opinions. Name calling does not apply. I was referring to your opinion, not you as an individual. See, I only have one incident (your comment) to go on, so I am simply not qualified to say you are a self-righteous person overall.
    If I misconstrued what you said, then I apologize. That seemed like a strong reaction to what I felt was a fairly innocent comment.

Maybe context is everything. If you owned a company and someone wanted to work for you that had this blemish on his record, would you hire him? What set of circumstances would make you think that waving a gun around in public was not that big of a deal? Are there any? Maybe there are. If you knew that your daughter's boyfriend had brandished a gun in public would you have a legitimate reason to worry about his character?

I'll admit that I'm way off sometimes, but gun + public + alcohol serving establishment sets off all kinds of alarms in the world I live in.

That being said, I have no reason to believe that Mike Doss is a bad guy. I think he has suffered from bad judgment, no doubt. I think that bad judgment has bumped him from "model citizen" status.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

If I misconstrued what you said, then I apologize. That seemed like a strong reaction to what I felt was a fairly innocent comment.

Maybe context is everything. If you owned a company and someone wanted to work for you that had this blemish on his record, would you hire him? What set of circumstances would make you think that waving a gun around in public was not that big of a deal? Are there any? Maybe there are. If you knew that your daughter's boyfriend had brandished a gun in public would you have a legitimate reason to worry about his character?

I'll admit that I'm way off sometimes, but gun + public + alcohol serving establishment sets off all kinds of alarms in the world I live in.

That being said, I have no reason to believe that Mike Doss is a bad guy. I think he has suffered from bad judgment, no doubt. I think that bad judgment has bumped him from "model citizen" status.
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree. However the 1st question I'd have is, why is this guy carrying a gun? I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone in a high profile occupation with plenty of $$$ to carry a weapon in public for protection. The 2nd question I'd have is why did he brandish the weapon? Had he not would we have read about him being robbed at gunpoint himself or even worse, shot? I don't go to night clubs anymore but plenty of folks do and behave themselves and are upright members of the community.

However I recall once upon a time I was at such an establishment and things blew up so to speak. I was with a friend and we were playing pool. He was leaning against a video game waiting on his turn when out of nowhere a guy flat lays him out with a punch and went running from the scene with a friend. Well, chaos ensued and we all shuffled outside and I had a guy actually pull a chainsaw out of his backseat, start it up and come right at me for no good reason at all. Needless to say I got out of the ordeal but had I been "strapped" as they say I may have pulled it out for intimidation (I was in my early 20"s). Thank god I never carried a gun, don't believe in them for myself. But I don't think I'd label him anything after one foolish incident in his early 20's.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree. However the 1st question I'd have is, why is this guy carrying a gun? I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone in a high profile occupation with plenty of $$$ to carry a weapon in public for protection. The 2nd question I'd have is why did he brandish the weapon? Had he not would we have read about him being robbed at gunpoint himself or even worse, shot? I don't go to night clubs anymore but plenty of folks do and behave themselves and are upright members of the community.
    The fact that he carried a weapon into a night club brought him into the realm of illegal behavior under OH law. It doesn't matter that he was high profile or had plenty of money. If he was concerned for his safety, he could have hired a body guard that could have LEGALLY carried a firearm into the night club.

I've enjoyed the spirited discussion, but it's way off topic from the original post. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Turn Off Ads?