Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Heisey #1 LF on chart

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Chris Heisey #1 LF on chart

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i dont care if jocketty does make the depth chart. if taveras is on this team, willy will be leading off. theres no way dusty is told he cant fill out the lineup card how he wants.
    That's true. Toothpick chafes, big-time, whenever his lineups are questioned.

Hopefully this is his last year in Cincy.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

i dont care if jocketty does make the depth chart. if taveras is on this team, willy will be leading off. theres no way dusty is told he cant fill out the lineup card how he wants.
    This is a misconception that is dramatically incorrect. Drew Stubbs was called up and made his first appearance as a Red on August 19th. From Aug. 19 to the end of the season, Stubbs played in all but two games (all of which one were starts), whereas Taveras played in four games, only two of which were starts. Taveras was on the DL from Aug 20 to Sep 23, but there were several quotes about Taveras being "Wally Pipp-ed," Baker questioning Taveras' work ethic in a sideways manner, and that Baker and Jocketty loved Stubbs play. There also appeared to be no rush to get Taveras back from the DL. Stubbs will be the starting CF going forward, unless something dramatic changes. I dont even know that a cold spring from Stubbs and a hot one from Taveras that at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    This is a misconception that is dramatically incorrect. Drew Stubbs was called up and made his first appearance as a Red on August 19th. From Aug. 19 to the end of the season, Stubbs played in all but two games (all of which one were starts), whereas Taveras played in four games, only two of which were starts. Taveras was on the DL from Aug 20 to Sep 23, but there were several quotes about Taveras being "Wally Pipp-ed," Baker questioning Taveras' work ethic in a sideways manner, and that Baker and Jocketty loved Stubbs play. There also appeared to be no rush to get Taveras back from the DL. Stubbs will be the starting CF going forward, unless something dramatic changes. I dont even know that a cold spring from Stubbs and a hot one from Taveras that at this point.
    i'll believe it when i see it. baker tends to think he can mold people into hitters, there were numerous quotes of him talking about how he worked with willy in the batting cage. give him a full off season and spring training, wouldnt surprise me to see dusty stick willy back at leading off.

i'll believe it when i see it. baker tends to think he can mold people into hitters, there were numerous quotes of him talking about how he worked with willy in the batting cage. give him a full off season and spring training, wouldnt surprise me to see dusty stick willy back at leading off.
    But all of those quotes came before the season, not after he was terrible for five months. Ever since Stubbs' arrival the quotes have been in praise of Stubbs and have talked about how he will be the starting CF going forward. I think Taveras will stay on the roster, but as the worst #4/5 OF in baseball rather than the worst starting CF in baseball. $4mm is a huge cost to just decide to eat for this franchise.
    Long live punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    But all of those quotes came before the season, not after he was terrible for five months. Ever since Stubbs' arrival the quotes have been in praise of Stubbs and have talked about how he will be the starting CF going forward. I think Taveras will stay on the roster, but as the worst #4/5 OF in baseball rather than the worst starting CF in baseball. $4mm is a huge cost to just decide to eat for this franchise.
    those quotes came before the season? what!? those quotes came after his slump. when taveras went down with his "hamstring injury" and was set to come back, baker was talking about how he had been working with willy in the batting cages.

we might have to agree to disagree on taveras, dusty stuck with patterson and taveras way to long for me to believe he wont go back to taveras next season.

those quotes came before the season? what!? those quotes came after his slump. when taveras went down with his "hamstring injury" and was set to come back, baker was talking about how he had been working with willy in the batting cages.

we might have to agree to disagree on taveras, dusty stuck with patterson and taveras way to long for me to believe he wont go back to taveras next season.
    The "Wally Pipp" comment also came from Baker after Taveras went down with his hamstring injury, and quotes from Baker seemed to show a level of frustration re: Taveras' work ethic. I have no doubt that Taveras will not see much action in CF barring some extreme circumstance. Patterson was also the only true CF on the roster after the myriad of injuries, and while he couldn't hit his weight, he could still provide great defense.

Agreeing to disagree might be the best situation here though, I agree.
    Long live punishment

Simply put Willys problem was not walking enough and not having enough power to hit the ball past the middle infield.

18 walks last seasons alone with his peak being 36 walks.

Look at Chone Figgins, while not being a power-producing third baseman the man is FANTASTIC at using what little power he has and what a great sense of the strike zone he has to produce 101 walks.

The problem with Willy is his immense talent to move the bat, when he shouldn't be.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?