Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis folks

Indianapolis folks

I know there's a few of you guys on here so I'll ask the question. I'm taking my girl up there next Friday to see the lighting of monument circle and then out to dinner and entertainment.

First, have any of you ever been to the lighting? I think it'll be pretty cool, but do they do much after they light it? They say they're lighting it at 745, but I'm just curious as to when I should make reservations for after.

As for food, I'm thinking St. Elmo's or Ruth's Chris. One of my buddies recommended Fogo de Ciao, but even that's pretty expensive compared to Elmo's and such. Which of these would you recommend?

I've already booked a hotel and I've narrowed down my food places, I'm just trying to get some opinions on the best place for just the 2 of us.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indianapolis folks

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I know there's a few of you guys on here so I'll ask the question. I'm taking my girl up there next Friday to see the lighting of monument circle and then out to dinner and entertainment.

First, have any of you ever been to the lighting? I think it'll be pretty cool, but do they do much after they light it? They say they're lighting it at 745, but I'm just curious as to when I should make reservations for after.

As for food, I'm thinking St. Elmo's or Ruth's Chris. One of my buddies recommended Fogo de Ciao, but even that's pretty expensive compared to Elmo's and such. Which of these would you recommend?

I've already booked a hotel and I've narrowed down my food places, I'm just trying to get some opinions on the best place for just the 2 of us.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I've never eaten there but I've heard lots of good things about St. Elmo's. Sounds like a really cool evening. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If you're that economic strata, Morton's is excellent. We've eaten there.

Haven't tried St. Elmo's and have been to a Ruth's Chris (or Chris' Ruth or whatever it is) in a different city (Dallas) and it was very good too. I think Indy has a Shula's too. All of those top shelf steak places, ka-ching.

Indy's downtown is a lot of fun and lots happening. We were there last weekend. We ate at Ram Restaurant and it was very good. Great ale.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I have been to the lighting of the tree several times and from my memories it is pretty much orientated towards kids. Be sure to get there early because crowds are pretty big depending on weather of course. But again from memories I don't think they do much more than have a few kids sing then light the tree. It is kinda similar to New Years Eve.

I have lived in Indy my entire life and have never ate at St. Elmos but it has an excellent reputation. If you want reservations then I would suggest calling ASAP. All the other restaurant selections are good. Around Circle Center mall there are many other chain type restaurants that are always good. Some non chain restaurants I would recommend if you like Italian are Iaria's or the Milano Inn. Both are downtown and have excellent food.

For nightlife check out the Rathskeller. It's a pretty cool old style german restaurant pub type place that is always a good time. http://www.rathskeller.com/
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I’ve been to both St. Elmo's and Ruth Chris. I would definitely recommend St. Elmo’s over Ruth Chris. Ruth Chris is good but it’s a chain restaurant and can eat at one at several different cities. St Elmo’s is unique as it’s the only one there is, definitely try the shrimp cocktail (if you do like spicy) but be careful as it does have a “kick” to it.

As far as the monument lighting, I've never been to the actual lighting but was in the area one year (I think to go out to eat) so I don't know for sure what they do after the actual lighting. I can tell you to expect lots of traffic and lots of people. I would recommend getting there early.

I've been to Morton's, St. Elmo's and Fogo. They are all great. I met Peyton Manning at St. Elmo's after a Colt's game. He signed my buddy's birthday card too.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Rathskeller is fun as I've been there multiple times. Not sure if we want to go walk all the way down there. IIRC, it's a long walk from the St. Elmo's/Ruth's Chris locations. I've also heard that Mass Ave is starting to become a nice play. I went to the Chatham Tap when it first opened. It's more of a soccer bar, but I liked it. It's just different.

Other than that, something simple to do. I'm leaning toward St. Elmo's. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but this is more of a once a year type of event to treat my girl.

Absolutely recommend St. Elmo's over any of the chains. If you're looking for a nice restaurant that isn't a steak house(silly thought I know) I'd recommend R Bistro which is actually up at the end of Mass Ave.

I've never been to the lighting but remember the crowds from working downtown on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Depending on your mood, there's some entertainment options on the south side of Meridian as well like Have a nice Day Cafe and the more expensive Dave and Busters that I can't think of the name right now.

The best way to reserve a table is using www.opentable.com that gives you the options available and confirms your reservation.(Works in Cincinnati too)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I would recommend Dunaways steak house, its not a chain and its really good. Ruths Chris and St Elmo's are both excellent along with Shulas, which I think is better than both RC and SE.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 11-18-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Mehh, I settled on Morton's. I'm not going for TOO expensive of a night. I think I'm also settling for some live blues at Slippery Noodle. I've been there a few times, when I was single, but loved that place.

Try Shapiros for lunch. It is real close to the Noodle.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Mehh, I settled on Morton's. I'm not going for TOO expensive of a night. I think I'm also settling for some live blues at Slippery Noodle. I've been there a few times, when I was single, but loved that place.
    Hey Morton's is great. You'll really like it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I was researching places downtown and a place I really liked, that wasn't the type of situation for what I planning, was Nicky Blaines. . . a wine and cigar bar. I think I'd love to go there at some point.

I'm a server at Fogo De Chao in Indianapolis... I can tell you without a doubt that it will top all 3 of the places you mentioned... Yeah, it's a touch on the pricey side at 46.50 per dinner, but with the quality/quantity you'll receive, it's well worth the price. I've dined at St Elmo's and was VERY much looking forward to the experience after eating for free at Fogo 5 nights a week for 6 months straight... I left St Elmo's very disappointed as the steak wasn't as tender as I was used to at Fogo. The mashed potatoes were phenomenal, as was the cocktail sauce (which should come with a warning, as it's INCREDIBLY heavy on horseradish)... However, I left that night after having dinner for 2 with a tab higher than I would've had I gone to Fogo. Also, I got to spend the night at a table positioned 6 inches from the table next to us and got to listen to some ******bag player wearing a super bowl ring from the ravens (had played the colts that night) mumble to his friends that he should try to ask my girlfriend if she wanted to go out with them for the night... Nice anniversary dinner...

Anyways, I'll come off as biased, but Fogo really is a great choice. The Simon's love the place and eat there regularly, as do many of the Colts players. In the past year alone I've served Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Gary Brackett (all 4 at the same table 2 thursdays ago), Larry Bird, many of the Pacers, Reggie Bush, Danika Patrick, Ashley Judd (those 2 at the same table....), Helio Castroneves, Tony Kanaan, Greg Oden and many others... The best part of our meal is you don't finish the dinner wondering if you made the right menu choice. You get to try everything as many times as you would like... Also, the salad bar is phenomenal... PM me with any questions...
    Last edited by REDblooded; 11-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I was researching places downtown and a place I really liked, that wasn't the type of situation for what I planning, was Nicky Blaines. . . a wine and cigar bar. I think I'd love to go there at some point.
    Good spot. Does have a cover. Solid appetizers too.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?