Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Dunn on the Cardinals radar?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Dunn on the Cardinals radar?

Yeah, saw that earlier on MLBTR.

In addition to free agent options, the Cardinals retain interest in both Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham of the Nationals.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I'm sure there are those on this site that are hoping this is true so the Cards hurt their LF defense .

Could you imagine Pujols being protected by Dunn? Dang Dunn would make last year look like an average year.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I'm sure there are those on this site that are hoping this is true so the Cards hurt their LF defense .

Could you imagine Pujols being protected by Dunn? Dang Dunn would make last year look like an average year.
    Holliday would make the Cards better so ya, here's to hoping the Cards had to settle for Dunn.

BTW, the author's argument is a bit confused IMHO. He suggests the Cards wouldn't even consider Bay because of sabermetric leanings that value defense but plan B is Dunn.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

BTW, the author's argument is a bit confused IMHO. He suggests the Cards wouldn't even consider Bay because of sabermetric leanings that value defense but plan B is Dunn.....
    Exactly. Dunn or Willingham... both bad defenders.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Holliday would make the Cards better so ya, here's to hoping the Cards had to settle for Dunn.

I thought the same thing. But I think that they are Plan B's because of their cost.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

fangraphs rates Dunn as the worst defender in baseball from 2007-2009. the man belongs in the AL where he can DH.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I thought the same thing. But I think that they are Plan B's because of their cost.
    While that's probably true, Dunn is in line to make $12 mil this year. Not exactly cheap, even in comparison to what Holliday and/or Bay might command.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    fangraphs rates Dunn as the worst defender in baseball from 2007-2009. the man belongs in the AL where he can DH.
    huh? how did they arrive at that considering all the bad that's out there? That's like saying Jack Russell Terrier crap tastes worse than Boston Terrier crap!

shouldn't they just take the bottom third or so and lump 'em together so as not to embarrass them in front of their families?

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    huh? how did they arrive at that considering all the bad that's out there? That's like saying Jack Russell Terrier crap tastes worse than Boston Terrier crap!

shouldn't they just take the bottom third or so and lump 'em together so as not to embarrass them in front of their families?
    if your going to spend all that effort compiling defensive metrics it doesn't really do much for your work to use them only to make generalizations (even if that is the most useful application).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I have always thought Dunn could be a monster if he hit in front of Pujols. Pitchers would be more apt to pitch to him because they wouldn't want to give him a free pass in front of Pujols. With the strategy that LaRussa uses, hitting the pitcher 8th, Dunn would be in line to be a big factor. If he is hit behind Pujols I think his numbers would be the same they always are. Not saying that is a bad thing, just I think they could be better.

I can also see Dunn as possibly plan C for the Red Sox. If Bay and Holliday both become too expensive, I can see them setting their sights on Dunn for a one year trial. He could play left, DH, and fit into the mix at first. He would be a cheaper alternative than their plans A and B.

This was one of the first thoughts I had when they acquired Jeremy Hermida. Could he be part of their plan C in the event Bay and Holliday get away? Hermida either platoons in left or gets packaged for someone else's more expensive outfielder, someone like Adam Dunn.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Well, Pujols was protected by Holliday, so I don't think Dunn would be an upgrade.

But, you'd want Dunn to bat ahead of Pujols. That would improve the offense.

How disgusting for every Reds fan who actually valued Dunn more than a wad of dirty gum stuck to the bottom of their shoe would it be for this to transpire? Unfortunately, if I were Adam Dunn I would have St. Louis right at the top of my wish list when my contract was up. He was such a hit in Washington last year, and had the best year of his career statistically, so I doubt seriously he will be dealt at all this winter... especially at his affordable price tag. The man is on pace to put up Hall of Fame numbers, and he's only getting better. I love the Reds, so to see that man in the Cardinal lineup hitting and walking ahead of Pujols would be a nightmare scenario.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Well, this would continue the trend of the Cardinals doing everything that I wish the Reds would.

Turn Off Ads?