Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scutaro out of Reds' Price Range

Scutaro out of Reds' Price Range

That's what MLB reporter Mark Sheldon is speculating in an article on the Reds' likely free-agent moves this off-season. Read the article here:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin

Sheldon goes on to identify Craig Counsell, the 39-year-old utility infielder who played last year for the Brewers, as a more likely free-agent pickup for the Reds than Scutaro. Counsell earned $1 million last season. He's no spring chicken, but he bats left, and does boast a high OBP (.357 in 2009)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scutaro out of Reds' Price Range

I wanted no part of Scutaro anyway.

This quote caught my eye....."Jocketty said on Monday that the Reds won't set a budget until sometime in December and therefore won't know if the club will have to trim the payroll from its $73 million level this past season"

What exactly would be the holdup here?

Wouldn't you think they would have determined next year's budget before doing things like negotiating with Ramon Hernandez?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Wouldn't that be the thing you do as you start to prepare for the winter meetings?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    This quote caught my eye....."Jocketty said on Monday that the Reds won't set a budget until sometime in December and therefore won't know if the club will have to trim the payroll from its $73 million level this past season"

What exactly would be the holdup here?

Wouldn't you think they would have determined next year's budget before doing things like negotiating with Ramon Hernandez?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Wouldn't that be the thing you do as you start to prepare for the winter meetings?
    The Major League Baseball true-ups of revenue sharing don't occur until December 1. That would have an impact on budgeting. I imagine that is what the Reds are waiting on - the official accounting to take place - to decide what they can afford to do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Major League Baseball true-ups of revenue sharing don't occur until December 1. That would have an impact on budgeting. I imagine that is what the Reds are waiting on - the official accounting to take place - to decide what they can afford to do.
    I'd guess they're also waiting to see how season ticket renewals go.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'd guess they're also waiting to see how season ticket renewals go.
    If Bengals ticket sales are any indication of the local ticket market, the Reds are in for a cold, dark winter.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I really am not that jazzed about Counsel. I guess for a million or less, I'm not going to complain, but that's not exactly a move I see worth doing.

Not really sure I wanted Scutero either.

Have the Reds ever said "This is a strong FA class".. I just have to laugh, because I think every year they've made the comment that the FA class is not good.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Scutero > Janish. He would be an upgrade over what they currently have. I was hoping the Reds could get him on a 1 year deal.

Anyone know anything about Nick Green?

I read this article and wondered if the Reds should make an offer to him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Scutero > Janish. He would be an upgrade over what they currently have. I was hoping the Reds could get him on a 1 year deal.
    I think if it comes to him having to take a 1 year deal, he'd probably accept arbitration from the Jays.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    He swings at everything, has a super strong arm and a bad habit of overthrowing 1st base by several miles, and he has been linked romantically to NESN reporter Heidi Watney.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I think if it comes to him having to take a 1 year deal, he'd probably accept arbitration from the Jays.
    Have the Jays offered him arbitration? In today's FA market a bunch of teams aren't offering players arbitration. Arbitration may be the way to get the biggest contract this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post

I read this article and wondered if the Reds should make an offer to him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Reds actually had in in 2007. Came into spring training and did very well, but didn't make the team. Has a little pop, but no eye or plate discipline.

He really is a back up. Janish is better both with the glove and the bat, if that is possible.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Eckstein is basically Janish without the glove/arm and with a little more contact at the plate. I'd be fine having him around on the cheap, but he's not really an upgrade. As for Scutaro, I'm pleased to hear that we won't be the ones on the hook for his career year. I could see Kansas City overpaying for him...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Reds actually had in in 2007. Came into spring training and did very well, but didn't make the team. Has a little pop, but no eye or plate discipline.
    That was Andy Green.

Turn Off Ads?