Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bud Selig says that it's time to tighten the postseason schedule.

Bud Selig says that it's time to tighten the postseason schedule.

(thank you Bud!)

In a variety of topics, including instant replay, Bud commented that he agrees with Mike Scoscia it's time to make the postseason schedule a little tighter than it has been. The Angels, at one point, played only 8 games in 20 days. Baseball is going to examine a way to make the schedule closer together.

In other interesting news, he also says it's time to make changes to the draft which may include (but not limited to): taking postseason finish into account with regard to draft position, having slotting for the draft and also instituting a worldwide draft. These are all great ideas and I hope they are able to be collectively bargained so they can go through. These would be tremendous changes to MLB.

The entire article can be found here
    Last edited by macro; 03-28-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Clarification of thread title
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Bud Selig says:

Good for him. It's very hard to maintain the emotional momentum of a series when it seems like it is only being played every other day. Other than waiting for other series' to end and for travel, days off are unnecessary and harm the product by making playoff baseball even less like the regular season, where pitching depth actually matters.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bud may say this, but he and his cronies are the reason it happened in the first place.
    Win the Division

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Is Bud Selig proactive or reactive? I say neither. Retire Bud! Today wouldn't be soon enough. Invoke the "In the best interests of Major League Baseball" clause and announce your retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Is Bud Selig proactive or reactive? I say neither. Retire Bud! Today wouldn't be soon enough. Invoke the "In the best interests of Major League Baseball" clause and announce your retirement.

Bud's doing a heckuva job as commissioner. Just ask him, he'll tell you.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

CHICAGO (AP)—Some teams lost money in 2009, baseball commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday after the final owners meeting of the year.

“There was no question about that,” Selig said. “I don’t think the concerns have been ameliorated at all. I think the concerns are still there because all these people have their own economists.”

Selig said final revenue figures for this year are still being calculated and everyone is living in the most difficult economic times since the Great Depression. Baseball, he said, is not immune to that environment.

Selig also said there was no discussion of increasing the use of video review by umpires, a subject that has been debated following several missed calls during the postseason.

Owners also heard reports on the civil rights game, the World Baseball Classic, legislative affairs, and baseball’s Internet division.

The owners also welcomed new Chicago Cubs owner Tom Ricketts.

“It was very interesting. Once again, just learning,” Ricketts said after emerging from the meeting.

The Cubs, who drew over 3 million fans again last season, had the third-highest payroll at the beginning of last season behind the New York Yankees and Mets.

“I’m not going to make any predictions on the economy. I think we did OK as a team,” Ricketts said

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

In other interesting news, he also says it's time to make changes to the draft which may include (but not limited to): taking postseason finish into account with regard to draft position,
    meh
    having slotting for the draft
    interesting.
    and also instituting a worldwide draft.
    not going to happen for practical reasons.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    not going to happen for practical reasons.
    Why? It works in the NBA. I think instituting a world wide draft makes a lot of sense. Make any player who wants to be drafted sign up by a certain date.

I would make an exception with Japan. I would allow a Japanese player to enter the MLB draft or the Japanese draft. If they decide to play baseball in Japan they will be a FA when their contract expires. To me there is no sense having a 28-30 year old Japanese star entering the MLB amateur draft.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why? It works in the NBA. I think instituting a world wide draft makes a lot of sense. Make any player who wants to be drafted sign up by a certain date.

I would make an exception with Japan. I would allow a Japanese player to enter the MLB draft or the Japanese draft. If they decide to play baseball in Japan they will be a FA when their contract expires. To me there is no sense having a 28-30 year old Japanese star entering the MLB amateur draft.
    The way the draft works now, all American/Canadian/PuertoRican players, if they are not drafted the first time they are eligible, automatically become free agents forever so long as they don't return to a four year or junior college.

So if my 18 year old cousin graduates from High school, doesn't get drafted, plays pro ball in Korea and tears it up, then any MLB club can sign him regardless of whether he's 18 or 48.

So I don't really see how a 28 year old Japanese player would be affected unless he was a star at age 18 and American clubs kept using draft picks on him year after year for 10 years.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I can't even watch the playoffs anymore, unless the Reds would actually make it, for a variety of reasons:

1) The games start so late that there's no chance I'll see the end of the game. In fact, I can barely watch half the game since I go to bed around 10:00 PM.

2) The games are excruciatingly slow. There's no reason a baseball game should go over 3 hours, but in the playoffs most games go over 3 hours.

3) And, like the theme of this thread, there's no continuity to the playoffs. Why is it that baseball is played every day for 6 months then all of the sudden they need off days every other day for the playoffs? It's ridiculous really.

I love baseball and always will, but every year the game is getting more difficult to be a fan of.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

I put this comment over in the Cy Young Award announcement thread, but maybe it's more apropos here:

So what on earth is MLB thinking delaying the MVP announcements until way after all the other awards have been announced. Do they intentionally go out to make themselves irrelevant?

It's this sort of short sightedness, I think, that just pulls away from the game. They'll announce these this week and it will be non-news, IMO. I don't ever recall this much of a break before. Am I just forgetting something?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I can't even watch the playoffs anymore, unless the Reds would actually make it, for a variety of reasons:

1) The games start so late that there's no chance I'll see the end of the game. In fact, I can barely watch half the game since I go to bed around 10:00 PM.

2) The games are excruciatingly slow. There's no reason a baseball game should go over 3 hours, but in the playoffs most games go over 3 hours.

3) And, like the theme of this thread, there's no continuity to the playoffs. Why is it that baseball is played every day for 6 months then all of the sudden they need off days every other day for the playoffs? It's ridiculous really.

I love baseball and always will, but every year the game is getting more difficult to be a fan of.
    I agree. I am able to watch most of the games because I live in the Mountain time zone, and stay up later. Still, they are slow.... The number of off days must be cut, even if it means the TV network can't space the games out so that there are no 'off' days for them in the schedule. That is part of why we have these weird playoff schedules. MLB loves the TV revenue so much that they have sold out...

One reason playoff games are slower is that there is a three minute commercial break between half innings instead of two. In a regular game, this adds almost 20 minutes onto the game time. Will MLB restore two minute breaks? Not bloody likely, but they should, if they cared about their fans maintaining interest.

Also, because it is the playoffs, there seem to be more mound visits by the pitching coach or catcher. The importance of everything is magnified due to the short series arrangements. There ought to be a one visit per inning limit placed (and enforced) on mound visits to keep the game moving. More visits than that should require a pitching change, sort of like it works now for manager visits.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 11-22-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I put this comment over in the Cy Young Award announcement thread, but maybe it's more apropos here:

So what on earth is MLB thinking delaying the MVP announcements until way after all the other awards have been announced. Do they intentionally go out to make themselves irrelevant?

It's this sort of short sightedness, I think, that just pulls away from the game. They'll announce these this week and it will be non-news, IMO. I don't ever recall this much of a break before. Am I just forgetting something?
    I think it, like having the playoffs with huge breaks between series, is because the owners and others in charge are not truly baseball fans, they view it completely as a business.
    Win the Division

Here's how I would fix the draft.
    Slot the bonuses based on pick. I might even do it by round, after the first round.
    For example, all second round picks get 800k or whatever.

Baseball sets aside a chunk of money from its TV contract. That chunk of money is used to pay all the signing bonuses for the draft. No ML contracts allowed. Since the slots are fixed, it's easy to budget what money gets set aside. There's now no excuse not to draft the best player in the draft, since the common fund is paying the signing bonus.

The union would love this, since they have gone on record as resenting the ML contracts and huge bonuses given to draftees.

The only downside is that baseball might lose a few 2 sport stars. But I can live with that.

There might be a few kids that don't get signed because they feel they can go to college and increase their standing in the draft, but that's fine. If the rules give no wiggle room for amount of $$ paid, a lot of the drafting drama will end.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post

I love playoff baseball. I love the intensity. I love how all the bases and home plate is mic'ed up to make it sound awesome. I love seeing players go full bore on every play. That said I hardly ever watch playoff baseball. Games start at awful times, they run up against my favorite sitcoms or other sporting events. They commercials last too long and I find myself flipping channels all the time.

The sad thing about baseball is that most of its fans can tell you what is wrong with the game. Its no secret and each year the same things is uttered and nothing changes. The management has their heads so far up their rears that they won't change. Money keeps coming in even as the game shows signs of fractures.

Turn Off Ads?