Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're No. 6 & No. 10!

Re: We're No. 6 & No. 10!

I would say Cincinnati is more odd than strange.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Hollywood is flaky, not weird, IMO. I at least understand what makes Hollywood peculiar.
    Ralphs market at 2 am is not flaky, it's just downright weird.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Something happens in the deep isolation of the mountains of the West. And it's not necessarily good. Big urban weirdness isn't weird to me.

Something happens in the deep isolation of the mountains of the West. And it's not necessarily good. Big urban weirdness isn't weird to me.
    I've lived both locales, they both are weird, but my city tolerance is probably at an all time high, the mountains do breed a weirdness not often documented. But I have my stories.

Yeah. You never know who you'll see there.

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    How does Austin not even make the list. Their motto is "keep Austin weird", they celebrate Eeyore's birthday for gosh sakes. It's not San Francisco, but it's still weird. The hippies have bumper stickers that talk about not letting Austin become as "normal" as San Antonio, but San Antonio made the list?
    Austin made the list on the original site. It's 54 slots less strange than San Antonio, though. Keep in mind that San Antonio is the home of a woman who ate her baby and another woman who insisted that the Almighty told her to run another driver off of the road. I'll wager (and hope) that Austin has nothing to top these strange news stories. :
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Austin made the list on the original site. It's 54 slots less strange than San Antonio, though. Keep in mind that San Antonio is the home of a woman who ate her baby and another woman who insisted that the Almighty told her to run another driver off of the road. I'll wager (and hope) that Austin has nothing to top these strange news stories. :
    I don't know, I hope not either. I do know that I'd rather live in San Antonio than Austin. We visit San Antonio quite often but there's just too much family up here to move.

Self-consciousness has something to do with it as well. When weird thinks its weird, it's just kooky. When weird has no idea it's weird -- that's weird.

Big urban weirdness isn't weird to me
    Anybody see Errol Morris' Vernon Florida? Those people are freaks.

I will make a case for Baltimore, however, as a genuinely weird big city. When I lived in Virginia, we'd go to Orioles games. The kids would throw salivaed Dot's candies at passing cars. Horse-drawn carts sold cheap toys in the streets and women would hang out on the stoop of their row houses in their bras. It produced John Waters and, on a sadder note, it leads the world in heroin addiction.

Yellow Springs, Ohio, as far as I'm concerned should be somewhere near the top of that list. I want to hum the Twilight Zone intro whenever I drive through there.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The list is invalid when Austin is not number 1. Having lived there, there's many aspects of being weird that is not covered in news stories... (Eeyore's Birthday, the SPAM festival, etc... just an example) And what was the street with the Christmas light oddities??? I can't remember it.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    The list is invalid when Austin is not number 1. Having lived there, there's many aspects of being weird that is not covered in news stories... (Eeyore's Birthday, the SPAM festival, etc... just an example) And what was the street with the Christmas light oddities??? I can't remember it.
    Guadalupe. You know it because the neighbourhood Groovy Lube is on the corner.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yellow Springs, Ohio, as far as I'm concerned should be somewhere near the top of that list. I want to hum the Twilight Zone intro whenever I drive through there.
    Ya know it's weird when it's got just a handfull of stop lights in it and Dave Chapelle can just walk down the street as if he's nobody. I once knew of many females who lived there who never shaved their legs or under their arms at all and were considered "attractive" by the guys who lived there. It's a very interesting place no question about it. You can be certain to see something odd most anytime you go thru there. Alot of pot smokin' going on in that place. I call it little San Fran.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ya know it's weird when it's got just a handfull of stop lights in it and Dave Chapelle can just walk down the street as if he's nobody. I once knew of many females who lived there who never shaved their legs or under their arms at all and were considered "attractive" by the guys who lived there. It's a very interesting place no question about it. You can be certain to see something odd most anytime you go thru there. Alot of pot smokin' going on in that place. I call it little San Fran.
    I know tons of women who don't shave, or didn't, and yes.... many were quite beautiful. As for Yellow Springs being "weird" I'd have to say it's pretty weird for Ohio, but pretty tame compared to most places I've lived or visited. Just another college town from my POV.

I know tons of women who don't shave, or didn't, and yes.... many were quite beautiful. As for Yellow Springs being "weird" I'd have to say it's pretty weird for Ohio, but pretty tame compared to most places I've lived or visited. Just another college town from my POV.
    My first job after college was in Yellow Springs circa 1975. I worked there for 4 years and spent a whole lot of time in town. It was a nice place to be for transition from college to "real" life.

Dated a lot of women there and found that beauty comes in many unexpected ways. Opened my eyes to a lot of things (and I'll leave it at that ).

Definitely not a normal Ohio college town. Frozen in about '67, but a strong sense of of community. Interesting place. I still like to go back there.

Pay attention to the open sky

My wife and I love going to Yellow Springs. Just a very unique town that you wouldn't expect to find in Ohio.

Turn Off Ads?