Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Couple arrested for not tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Couple arrested for not tipping

From what I understand the gratuity charge was posted on the menu. What they did is tantamount to saying "Even though your price for the steak was 22 dollars on the menu, I thought it was a poor quality piece of meat so I am only giving you 15 dollars for it".

Fail on both sides' part however.

Sounds like the restaurant will lose more from the bad publicity than if they had just accepted that they were off that night and let the patrons have there way.

I think the whole tipping system is stupid. Just charge more for meals, and pay waiters/waitresses better. Is it really that hard? No "expected" tipping. No "mandatory" tipping. No peeved off workers that just got stiffed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Sounds like the restaurant will lose more from the bad publicity than if they had just accepted that they were off that night and let the patrons have there way.

I think the whole tipping system is stupid. Just charge more for meals, and pay waiters/waitresses better. Is it really that hard? No "expected" tipping. No "mandatory" tipping. No peeved off workers that just got stiffed.
    Agreed, I despise tipping. Especially at a buffet, I mean you get your own food so why should I give you 3 dollars just because you bring me a cup to get my own drink?

Why should I tip more on an $80 bottle of wine than a $20 bottle of wine?

The system is stupid, however, the law's the law, and bad things happen to those who don't follow it.

I am guessing that the publicity is not good for business.

I'd imagine there are two sides to this story. An overworked and understaffed restaurant and alcohol-fueled and p-o'ed customers are not a good mix. One would certainly hope it could have been worked out between the two parties.

However, I can't imagine a restaurant manager calling the police in for something like this. He is just slitting his own throat showing that he can't manage the situation and also killing the restaurant with horribly bad publicity.

The proverbial lose-lose situation. Remind me not to go there.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I am guessing that the publicity is not good for business.
    Go find their Yelp! page... Over 200 negative reviews in 1 day... Management should NOT have called the police over this matter... Place will be shut down within 6 months... guaranteed.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

As they should be. I hope they get charged and convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    The system is stupid, however, the law's the law, and bad things happen to those who don't follow it.

It definitely should be interesting if they get a lawyer. I would argue that, if they used the language "gratuity," which is used to mean an amount paid as a gift or reward without obligation, I think it would be fair for customers to assume they could refuse to pay it if service stunk. If the 18% is required, it would be better for the restaurant to call it a surcharge.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Reminds of my freshman year of college. Anyone who didn't tip was treated to "special" food on their next visit. Tip or get stuff done to your food. It's that simple

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    As they should be. I hope they get charged and convicted.
    There isn't an elected judge on the planet with an ounce of common sense who will convict these people.

And, for that matter, were this a case on my docket, the judge would never even get that chance because I would decline to prosecute. Even if the gratuity situation is spelled out on the menu, no one should get a criminal charge for withholding a tip for bad service.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There isn't an elected judge on the planet with an ounce of common sense who will convict these people.

And, for that matter, were this a case on my docket, the judge would never even get that chance because I would decline to prosecute. Even if the gratuity situation is spelled out on the menu, no one should get a criminal charge for withholding a tip for bad service.
    I think the people who didnt pay are just pathetic. You go to the place, you likely know that you are going to have it added on and then you refuse to pay after the meal is over. Maybe I'm crazy but I think its pretty reasonable to expect the customer to have some responsibility.
    Last edited by GIDP; 11-20-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Turn Off Ads?