Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Couple arrested for not tipping

Re: Couple arrested for not tipping

I was watching Rehab (at the hard rock cafe) the other day and some girl went nuts on a customer for only tipping her 200-300 dollars. I can't stand it when people think they are ENTITLED to a certain amount of tip money. I don't believe in the %s. Just because I picked out a more expensive meal doesn't mean I should tip you more. Now, if there are more people at the table, then sure. The "standard" tip should be X amt of dollars per person instead of 20% of the total bill, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure it does, but it doesn't get to the point that bad service shouldn't equal free food. It generally does because of the point that you make, but I think people in general think they deserve the food for free because of even slow service, not even bad service. My issue is with people who try to get things for free that they actually did eat. If you ate it, then it shouldn't be free. Discount, yeah, sure. Free? No, you got the product and you aren't returning it in the condition we gave it to you in. It bothers me.
    The product isn't just the food. The food, the atmosphere, and the service are all a package deal. Restaurant owners and managers want patrons to have the best possible experience so that they will keep coming back.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The product isn't just the food. The food, the atmosphere, and the service are all a package deal. Restaurant owners and managers want patrons to have the best possible experience so that they will keep coming back.
    People must go to restaurants for different reasons than I do. I go to eat good food. I could care less about an 'atmosphere' as long as the place is clean. And the product is just the food. I can order it to go, or go through a drive through or curb side pickup.... and well, I don't get a discount for doing so. It is the same price, without the 'experience' or 'atmosphere'.

People must go to restaurants for different reasons than I do. I go to eat good food. I could care less about an 'atmosphere' as long as the place is clean. And the product is just the food. I can order it to go, or go through a drive through or curb side pickup.... and well, I don't get a discount for doing so. It is the same price, without the 'experience' or 'atmosphere'.
    Start dining at spots that cost more than $12 a plate and you'll get what he was saying.... You said "curb-side"... say no more...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Only the people in the room will know if the service was really so bad that the wait staff deserved to work for them for free.... or whether these were a bunch of freeloaders who are trying to get off on the cheap.

Tipping is a cultural thing and more prevalent in some communities than others. I lived near the Lehigh Valley for a year and it isn't what I would characterize as polite society. "Mandatory gratuities" aren't necessary in communities where you have a baseline amount of non-freeloaders, but they might be necessary in certain classes of restaurant in Bethlehem, PA.

For me to pay less than 15%, the server has to be flat out hostile. If the service is bad, I might tell them so. I might not come back. But I still pay them. If the checkout lady is rude to me at Target, I don't get to demand that $5 be deducted from her paycheck and applied to my bill.

Likewise, if I have a lousy day at work, I expect that there might be repercussions. Maybe I'll get fired. But I'm damn sure gonna get paid.
    Stick to your guns.

Whats the average money a waiter makes per hour anyways? Not counting tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There isn't an elected judge on the planet with an ounce of common sense who will convict these people.

And, for that matter, were this a case on my docket, the judge would never even get that chance because I would decline to prosecute. Even if the gratuity situation is spelled out on the menu, no one should get a criminal charge for withholding a tip for bad service.
    The owner of the establishment is an idiot for even letting it get to a point where there is a court date....

BTW, gratuities should never be demanded...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Whats the average money a waiter makes per hour anyways? Not counting tips.
    Around 12 years ago, I believe it was $2.13 an hour, and they had to pay taxes on a certain amount of tips whether they got them or not. They aren't entitles to minimun wage, and they do side work before and after waiting tables that doesn't get them tipped.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Around 12 years ago, I believe it was $2.13 an hour, and they had to pay taxes on a certain amount of tips whether they got them or not. They aren't entitles to minimun wage, and they do side work before and after waiting tables that doesn't get them tipped.
    And some have to split their tip with the hostess/host, the bartender, the bus staff, and that also can include the cook/chef and the manager.

My son works at a restaurant where they put the "mandatory" 18% for parties over 6 on the menu.

He says that every so often people don't pay it. The manager then knocks the bill down 10-15% so the wait staff still gets their tip.

There is a large group dynamic where people think that a larger tip makes up for a lesser percentage tip, e.g. the waiter/waitress should be happy with a $20 tip on a $200 bill. Or, they think someone else in the group will tip so they don't have to. Or (and I've had this happen too often) everyone skips out on the bill and leaves the last poor slob there to pay the whole bill.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Start dining at spots that cost more than $12 a plate and you'll get what he was saying.... You said "curb-side"... say no more...
    The food isn't worth it at places like that. And regardless of where I eat, or anyone for that matter.... you are paying for the food a whole lot more than anything else (except maybe a place like Hooters).

The food isn't worth it at places like that. And regardless of where I eat, or anyone for that matter.... you are paying for the food a whole lot more than anything else (except maybe a place like Hooters).
    Depending on some hooters you tip for the extra service

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The contract was broken because the gratuity was withheld, the 18% was for the service aspect of the meal, the restauraunt defaulted on their end of the deal by providing substandard service and then by charging a rate for that.

The meal is not the issue, the issue is the strongarming of a fee based on a nonexistant delivery item, capable service.
    My sentiments exactly. It appears to me that both sides broke the "contract". Yet only one gets charged.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Reminds of my freshman year of college. Anyone who didn't tip was treated to "special" food on their next visit. Tip or get stuff done to your food. It's that simple
    Now that's worthy of a jail sentence....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I hate it when restaurants include the tip. I've just glanced at a bill before, and threw down some money on the table along with that, without realizing.
    I'd think that the staff would hate it too...I routinely tip 25 to 30%....

Turn Off Ads?