Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Couple arrested for not tipping

Re: Couple arrested for not tipping

I have been told by fellow employees at establishments not to tip for bad service. Many of these employees stated that they feel tipping for bad service reinforces the behavior and allows it to continue for weeks and months. While they have to pick up the poor employees slack and the customers wrath.

I always say follow the chain of command and if the manager doesn't resolve the situation you do what you have to do (within reason) to get your point across to the server that substandard service is not acceptable.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Now that's worthy of a jail sentence....
    Probably worthy of a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Depending on some hooters you tip for the extra service
    Wouldn't know... never been there. Hate wings.... the smell of them makes me want to vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wouldn't know... never been there. Hate wings.... the smell of them makes me want to vomit.
    What a sad thing to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Whats the average money a waiter makes per hour anyways? Not counting tips.
    My hourly in Indiana is 2.13... There are lunch shifts where I've had coworkers make UNDER minimum wage counting all tips and hourly...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

The food isn't worth it at places like that. And regardless of where I eat, or anyone for that matter.... you are paying for the food a whole lot more than anything else (except maybe a place like Hooters).
    C'mon... Yes, you are paying for the food first, but you can't say ambiance isn't important... If that's the case then if you ever lucked into a date with a supermodel then you're saying taking her to applebee's for happy hour would be an acceptable first date...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    My hourly in Indiana is 2.13... There are lunch shifts where I've had coworkers make UNDER minimum wage counting all tips and hourly...
    That was common on Monday evenings back when I waited tables. The worst was when the kitchen would lose a ticket and I'd be the lucky one to explain to the party what went wrong. And then I'd get no tip.

If you get bad service, speak to the manager. The problem is not always with the server.

Nowadays, if I have no complaints with the service, I tip at least 20%. If I'm hanging around a sports bar for several hours, I try to tip upwards 50%. I see it as a way of compensating the staff for me hanging around when they could be making money off another party. Servers work hard for their money and it's easy to forget that as a customer.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-22-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Nowadays, if I have no complaints with the service, I tip at least 20%. If I'm hanging around a sports bar for several hours, I try to tip upwards 50%. I see it as a way of compensating the staff for me hanging around when they could be making money off another party. Servers work hard for their money and it's easy to forget that as a customer.
    I'll go to a BW's to watch Tampa play -- sit for 4 hours and end up with a bill around $15-$20. I have no trouble dropping a $10 for something like that if the waiter is good about getting refills and checking back every so often. I'm clogging up a table he could've turned over at least 1 or 2 times while I was sitting there.

I also believe in the "minimum tip" -- usually around $2.50 -- when I'm out with co-workers for lunch and we split checks. Just because the food is cheap at Skyline doesn't mean the work is any easier serving people. I'm certainly not going to leave $1.50 on a $7.00 meal.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    C'mon... Yes, you are paying for the food first, but you can't say ambiance isn't important... If that's the case then if you ever lucked into a date with a supermodel then you're saying taking her to applebee's for happy hour would be an acceptable first date...
    I don't drink, so happy hour wouldn't make sense... neither would applebees for a super model who likely wouldn't eat anything there, but even if she did there is nothing on the menu worth the price at that place to my taste buds.

I don't drink, so happy hour wouldn't make sense... neither would applebees for a super model who likely wouldn't eat anything there, but even if she did there is nothing on the menu worth the price at that place to my taste buds.
    Good food is definitely worth the money. Add to it excellent service and great conversation with a group of friends (or a special individual) and it's more than dinner-it's memories or the stuff relationships are forged upon.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Good food is definitely worth the money. Add to it excellent service and great conversation with a group of friends (or a special individual) and it's more than dinner-it's memories or the stuff relationships are forged upon.
    Can't get that in a to-go bag, even harder to pick it up with a plastic fork.

The question is can the restaurant charge a gratuity? I assume it was one of those things where parties of 6 or more pay 18% gratuity. I wonder why the whole party wasn't arrested? I have a hard time with this whole concept because if the waiter knows he'll get 18% no matter what, then what incentive is there to give good service?

I was caught in this position before myself. It took over an hour to receive my food and by then my yound daughter had fallen asleep. We had to box her food and take it home. It never got eaten. In hindsight I would have sent hers back and told them to remove it from our bill. We wanted to stiff them on the tip but felt trapped.

I hope this couple fights it even though it's only about 10 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think anyone covered themselves in glory in this incident.
    What did the couple do wrong? They didn't just walk out. They explained to the restaurant why they were not leaving a tip. What more should they have done?

Depends on your taste. My taste tells me that for $20 bucks I can get plenty of food that taste great. Excellent service doesn't matter much to me, just bad service. I tip 25% when I go out if the service is good, 15% if its bad. Great conversation with my friends or family can be had anywhere with food. I don't need to eat out for those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What did the couple do wrong? They didn't just walk out. They explained to the restaurant why they were not leaving a tip. What more should they have done?
    The 'tip' is mandatory in this case as its part of the bill. So they only paid some of the bill.

Turn Off Ads?